Saints sign OL Fisayo Awolaja (1 Viewer)

dutar76

7th year itch
Reaction score
Fisayo Awolaja
6' 5" 299 lbs
Northern Colorado

This guy is as raw a player as I've ever heard of joining an NFL camp.

- Appeared in all 11 games mostly in a special teams role
- Invited to Denver Broncos local Pro Day
- Signed 3-day mini-camp invite with the New Orleans Saints
- Academic All-Big Sky member

- Appeared in all 10 games, mostly in a special teams role.

- No stats available.
- Academic All-Big Sky Member

- Was a key member of the practice squad...joined the team in 2014 spring practices.

High School: Was a high school basketball start at Skyview in Thornton, Colorado. Was a two-time All-Conference player, earning the honor in 2012 and 2013... Lettered all four years in the sport for the Wolverines.

Was born August 20, 1996... Is currently majoring in Biology at UNC.

Wow. I think this might be one of the most obvious "camp body" signings ever. Unless they really think he's got potential to grow on the practice squad, but that doesn't seem likely, IMO.

Wow. I think this might be one of the most obvious "camp body" signings ever. Unless they really think he's got potential to grow on the practice squad, but that doesn't seem likely, IMO.

Leave no stone or leaf un-turned looking for Giant men athletic enough to play OL in the NFL... but dang

He walked on at Northern Colorado during his second semester of college, despite never having played football before.

Well, we do have a void on the PS for a left tackle. Wozniak is gone and no one else screams left tackle.

We had this guy in for rookie minicamp. He must have at least a little something we like for us to choose him over anyone else.

As long as Peat & Ola are healthy we should be ok at backup tackle. Peat can back up Armstead & Ola backup Ram. The only problem is both Armstead & Peat are injury prone, so hopefully one of them can stay healthy if the other is out. Easton can backup Peat, McCoy, & Warford. With either Tom or Clapp as our other backup G/C. I think Easton, Ola, and either Tom or Clapp make the final 53 as our backups. I wish we could keep both Tom and Clapp, but don’t see how unless one can play backup tackle lol. I wish one of them could play tackle. Hopefully the other guy can make the practice squad, but think another team will take either off our hands.

Well, we do have a void on the PS for a left tackle. Wozniak is gone and no one else screams left tackle.

We had this guy in for rookie minicamp. He must have at least a little something we like for us to choose him over anyone else.
I thought we signed Marshall Newhouse to be the primary backup OT a la Bushrod last year since we signed him like immediately. IDK why the Saints site has him listed as an OG since he's played tackle his whole career as far as I know. The Saints site is always messed up though. Or maybe they do see him at OG and putting Peat at OT if needed.

ETA: If you click on his bio on the Saints site, you'll see he's been a tackle his whole career. Has 72 starts.

Hey, the main thing an offensive lineman has to have is the tools...or the body..the frame, the strong hands, strong push off...
balance....if he has those things, and he is headed for the practice squad, or non starting position, heck, I say bring him in, see what he has got..
you never know, he could blossom...I figure he will surely be motivated to try...mo money mo money...and, I do like an underdog...Heck of a handle eh?

Hey, the main thing an offensive lineman has to have is the tools...or the body..the frame, the strong hands, strong push off...
balance....if he has those things, and he is headed for the practice squad, or non starting position, heck, I say bring him in, see what he has got..
you never know, he could blossom...I figure he will surely be motivated to try...mo money mo money...and, I do like an underdog...Heck of a handle eh?

I'm all for finding developmental talent wherever you can dig it up, especially on the O-line. But man... this guy has to learn which side of the shoe the cleats go on.

Dan Roushar has his work cut out for him.

I thought we signed Marshall Newhouse to be the primary backup OT a la Bushrod last year since we signed him like immediately. IDK why the Saints site has him listed as an OG since he's played tackle his whole career as far as I know. The Saints site is always messed up though. Or maybe they do see him at OG and putting Peat at OT if needed.

ETA: If you click on his bio on the Saints site, you'll see he's been a tackle his whole career. Has 72 starts.
We didn't sign Newhouse immediately. Not at all. He was a pretty late addition. (Ironically, he was an injury replacement for the Panthers last year for...Chris Clark.) That doesn't really matter much to our team, though. But even if he fills the Bushrod role, which I think he has a decent shot of, we still have a vacancy for a developmental tackle on the PS. I imagine this is Awolaja's audition for that spot on the PS. If he does well enough, the Saints will keep him. If not, there's cuts from 31 other teams to look at. That's how we brought Dwayne Washington into the building last year at RB (cut by Lions, cleared waivers, signed to Saints PS).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom