Saints sign TE Benjamin Watson to a 3-year deal (1 Viewer)

Watson is a very good blocker. I've noticed he is willing to mix it up, hustles, stays on his feet and is often down the field getting an extra block or picking up teammates off the ground at the end of a play. He also has good hands and can adjust to poorly thrown balls. His main weakness that I can see is he struggles to get separation when played man up. Sean will scheme to get him open. Watson keeps himself in top shape and is an awesome person off the field. An upgrade over Thomas and evidently someone the Saints have been targeting. If Sean and Mickey think he is the guy to replace Thomas and help get the Saints back to the playoffs then I'm good with the signing. Ben Watson said Sean called him personally and told him the team wanted him onboard sometime during the FA period. Guess that made a big impression on him.

I'm watching all the Browns games from last year and I have made it thru week 5. That offense is putrid but Watson is there doing his job. He consistently blocks DE without help, runs good routes and catches well. Does everything well. Turning out to be a good FA period for the Saints. Next piece of the puzzle should be a rush OLB.

Love this signing, we're going to be explosive and he adds another dimension to our passing and running game.

On offense, we just need to address the OT position and we're great.

A luxury would be to find a special toy at WR.

Or even find a special RB late. Someone like christian michael. Since PT is getting old, Sproles is not a full time back, Ingram is not very good and Ivory is injury prone....

Graham is a great te, but if he suffers from a case of the drops like he did this year... Well he can want that $10-$12 mil contract all he wants, but he will only get $8 mil (which isn't small fries).

Thought Graham had injured wrist which caused drops.

THIS .. i'm seeing all these comments here about how good a blocker he is , cats are just talking out there ***** . after doing research on him & reading comments on him from Browns & Pats fans they all talk about him being a bellow average blocker but a good receiver

so now we have 1 great & 2 good receivers with all average to below average blocking we needed a good 2 great blocker with decent 2 good catching skills

Interesting, cause SP talks about not putting in a extra tackle so much now because of Watson .

Ben Watson Contract Terms per Rotoworld

3 yr $3.15M Deal
2013: $950K
2014: $1.0M
2015: $1.2M

Source

Very nice, cap friendly deal done by Loomis! Makes this signing that much better.

3 yr $3.15M Deal

Source

Very nice, cap friendly deal done by Loomis! Makes this signing that much better.

I tell you what...we've really mastered the whole "value" game. I'd much rather have a guy like this as a #2 tight end at virtually the minimum salary than to go out and pay a small fortune for a guy like Delanie Walker (4 years, $17.5m) or Jared Cook (5 years $38.5m) - two players who both had fewer catches last year than Watson had might I add.

I tell you what...we've really mastered the whole "value" game. I'd much rather have a guy like this as a #2 tight end at virtually the minimum salary than to go out and pay a small fortune for a guy like Delanie Walker (4 years, $17.5m) or Jared Cook (5 years $38.5m) - two players who both had fewer catches last year than Watson had might I add.

I agree.

Loomis has done a really good job with contracts this off-season. The Galette and Watson contracts are masterful. We did pay market price for Lewis but if rumors are true we had competition and he actually took less to come here.

If I'm a betting man, Loomis waited for Butler to drop his asking price and we land him for @$1M per year.

Wow, much less than I thought we would have signed him for. I was figuring closer to $5 million total.

That Loomis is really something.

3 yr $3.15M Deal

Source

Gosh, really so little money? I figured it'd be some 6 mlns on 3 years..way to go loomis (but i still don't like you resigning mr useless herring)

Gosh, really so little money? I figured it'd be some 6 mlns on 3 years..way to go loomis (but i still don't like you resigning mr useless herring)

updated numbers:

3/18/2013: Signed a three-year, $4.95 million contract. The deal included a $1.2 million signing bonus. 2013: $950,000, 2014: $1 million (+ $50,000 workout bonus + $250,000 roster bonus), 2015: $1.2 million (+ $50,000 workout bonus + $250,000 roster bonus), 2016: Free Agent

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom