Saints sign TE Benjamin Watson to a 3-year deal (1 Viewer)

Drew throws him a TD, start the "ELEMENTARY, MY DEAR WATSON!" jokes, hehe.

great pick up i like what the saints are doing this free agency, if get get nnamdi and a pass ruch lb and strong lb team will be tough and competitive

Wait...the New Orleans Saints broke a signing before anyone on Saintsreport.com could break the news first? Thats got to be unheard of.

At any rate, check! One more piece to the puzzle!

Not a big spash TE signing, but when you have the best TE in football who still hasn't reached his ceiling snagging a guy like Watson who is a veteran, but still very serviceable and is a do-it-all TE is a huge signing. Well done SP/ML.

Some may not like this signing, but I do. He is the type of guy everyone wants on their team.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n74qajrx4b4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Had like 50 catches last season in a very vanilla offense. Should for a good duo with Graham.

The same Watson that ran down Champ Bailey?

Per Wiki: (for those who can't see the excellent video above)
Even more notable though, was his pursuit and tackle of Champ Bailey during the Patriots' 2005 AFC Divisional Playoff game against Denver on January 14, 2006. Bailey intercepted a Tom Brady pass in Denver's endzone, and proceeded to run it down the full length of the (near) side-line, towards New England's endzone. At the time of the interception, Watson was on the opposite side of the field from Bailey (on the far side-line), and so he had to take a diagonal pursuit the full (diagonal) length of the field in order to have a chance of catching him. Watson caught up with Bailey at New England's 2-yard line and tackled him hard, causing Bailey to fumble the ball. After an extensive review, the refs announced that the evidence was inconclusive as to whether or not Bailey fumbled the ball through the end-zone, or out of bounds. Thus, the call on the field stood (that he fumbled it out of bounds at the 1-yard line). This controversial call led to a crucial Denver touchdown, and was the key play in allowing the Broncos to upend the 2-time defending Super Bowl champs. Many NFL fans compared Watson's extraordinary play to that of Don Beebe's pursuit of Leon Lett in Super Bowl XXVII as two of greatest hustle plays of all time.

I thought I recognized the name.. VERY good when he was with the Pats.

Assuming that he still has legs, this is a great signing!!

YES! Always liked Ben Watson some. Good all around TE who will help us in the run game and in pass pro.

older vet with gas in the tank. I like this signing, seems smart.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom