Saints sign Ty Montgomery [Merged] (2 Viewers)

I’m sure that Payton will be able to get the best out of Ty, but he will barely be used unless we have major injuries. He’s good depth in that he can play multiple positions, but it says a lot when he’s bounced around teams as much as he has.

It’s very rare for a team to have a versatile weapon at their disposal... a player that can play multiple skill position roles, and play them well...

If a team had a player that could play RB and also be a viable receiving threat and/or return man, that was considered special... We have a player like that in Alvin Kamara... and he is special.

But, it’s unheard of for a team to have multiple players like that...

The Saints have as many as 4!

Not only do the Saints have multiple players that can play both RB and WR at a high level in Kamara and Montgomery, but they have an additional 2 players that can play RB, WR, TE, FB, and QB! ...if Tommy Stevens works out.

...and oh, BTW, the Saints have Sean Payton as the mastermind behind the offense... an innovative offensive genius that created the Taysom Hill role that so many teams are trying to copy. The possibilities for what CSP can do with this personnel are mind-boggling.
Single wing. Remember that Payton saw the single wing against his son's team and called Parcells for advice defending it. The last two teams who used it collegiately were UCLA and Princeton IIRC. We're talking 1950s I think. Early 60s at the latest.

Single wing. Remember that Payton saw the single wing against his son's team and called Parcells for advice defending it. The last two teams who used it collegiately were UCLA and Princeton IIRC. We're talking 1950s I think. Early 60s at the latest.
I know a coach who has been running it very well for years. As a defensive coach, it's very annoying to defend, but also reassuring that it's very much predicated on not falling behind or needing to score quickly.

Fun fact: Billy Kilmer was a single wing tailback at UCLA, at least according to some sources.

Started his career as a WR and was a decent one if I remember right.

GB needed him at RB and it kind of changed the course of his career. I'd like to see him come in with WR being the focus of their "vision" for him. Of course you utilize his other abilities as able.
Think he'd be a perfect slot we/kamara backup. Kind of like peat. He's more valuable than you think BC he can start at one role while backing up another

I've seen a few people mention how much Ty fumbles.... he has played 5 years in the league and has fumbled all of 4 times.

To your point... Deonte Harris played 1 year and fumbled 3 times.
Just one of those selective memory issues. Fumbled once in a big game and that's all everyone remembers. Kind of like MW. He messed up 1 time as a rookie in playoffs now everyone looks to burn him. Like on that Emanuel Sanders play, he almost saved Bell's mistake but couldn't make the play and everyone thinks it was his fault

I'd like to see the contract. Like it though.

He doesn't sound like the same type of RB as Washington but it's still good to see competition at that spot. One of the groups where I'd write Washington in pencil even though he was the only likely option on the team.

This dude beat me in a ppr league with like 13 catches for 19 yards. He won’t make the team. Not a chance.

Excellent pickup. I was hoping we’d sign him last year b/c of his versatility. He‘ll make the team as a backup RB and WR, and save us a roster spot.

I believe Montgomery could make this team with his type of versatility. He can be a very effective RB or WR. CSP loves players that are versatile. There are a few that say he won't even make the team, but give no reason or explanation of why they think that. I trust CSP, Loomis & Ireland to know what they are doing and let them decide if he makes the team or not.

SP adds another toy. Make no mistake -- barring injury, Montgomery will make the active roster. No, he's neither a star RB or WR and consistent production hasn't been a staple of his game, but that inconsistency has a lot to do with lack of creativity by his coaches. He's a tweener and has to be put in the right position to win his reps.

This signing to me is a huge win because his ability to not only catch out of the backfield, but also run actual WR routes means we finally have a suitable fill in for AK if he goes down for a few games. No, TM is not AK, but we can keep the playbook relatively similar concerning some of AK's responsibilities. That alone makes this an underrated and important signing. If he's able to log some valuable reps in the slot in a more active role, that's just icing.

CSP is becoming more emboldened every season, and especially this offseason. It's exciting to see all these versatile athletes and projects he's bringing into the fold.

FYI -- Ty saw just as many ST reps last season as Washington but offers much more at RB. This is an upgrade at RB3, no question.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom