Saints sign vet TE Jesse James and FB Jake Bargas (1 Viewer)

I like bringing in James. No real expectations but potentially upgraded depth that could play a small role on game day.

Wonder what they are seeing at LB#3?
They really like D’Marco Jackson. He’s been shining in OTAs so far according to media’s observations.

The remaining FA LBs seem to be fliers just like the TE signing. Some of them have upside based on past production. But they’d have to come in and separate themselves in camp from Baun and the young LBs trying to lock up a roster spot. Orji and Anderson are getting a good look right now. I think we’ll bring in someone if they don’t like what they see in minicamp.

They really like D’Marco Jackson. He’s been shining in OTAs so far according to media’s observations.

The remaining FA LBs seem to be fliers just like the TE signing. Some of them have upside based on past production. But they’d have to come in and separate themselves in camp from Baun and the young LBs trying to lock up a roster spot. Orji and Anderson are getting a good look right now. I think we’ll bring in someone if they don’t like what they see in minicamp.
Yep, I recall Jeff Nowak pointing this out. With DD out during OTAs, he said Jackson has been in with the 1s at LB during OTAs. He noted dat with the departure of Kaden Ellis, the team never went out to sign someone to replace him. So do they feel they have his potential replacement in D’Marco? 🤔

Maybe, but for now, Nowak thinks so.

He went on to predict that Jackson will play extensively during preseason, because the Saints wanna get a good loong look to see what the young man can do.

Quick recaps:

In 2021, Dmarco, a fifth year Senior n team captain, ranked fourth in the FBS with 19 tackles for loss and led his App St D with 119 total tackles, while also posting six sacks, one interception and five pass breakups in 14 starts, to earn the Sun Belt Conference Defensive Player of the Year Award and first-team all-league recognition.

His highlights:

At the Combine, he came in at 6’1, 233 lbs, ran a 4.55 forty n had a 33in vert n 125in broad jump.

The Saints selected him in the 5th round, but he was placed on IR on Aug 10.

Summary: Not the biggest r fastest, but has really nice speed/athleticism to shoot gaps n get downhill r go sideline to sideline against the run, n can rush the QB r drop in coverage against the pass. Solid tackler, n has a high football IQ. IMO, he knows “how” to play. But I also think he’s now gotten a lil more “developed”, which should allow him to b more comfortable in the D, which will allow him to b more aggressive n play faster.

I wish him all the best!

We’ll see!

Last edited:
After reading up on Bargas… yeah, he’s a camp body.

Unless Prentice gets hurt or this kid suddenly explodes, he’s just here for TC to take some reps. Oh well…

It’s a shame really… because Prentice is *blah*.. and an actual player at FB would be exciting
FBs are such a dying breed though. Best case scenario is to find a TE/H back that can fill in at FB as needed.

Falcons have two FBs and will probably keep both like last year. Their RB room is stout with three RBs at 220-230. Might want to invest in a NT and another LB.

Falcons have two FBs and will probably keep both like last year. Their RB room is stout with three RBs at 220-230. Might want to invest in a NT and another LB.
Yep. In fact, last year, they finished 3rd in the league in rushing n CAR was 10th.

Meanwhile, not only was Saints D was about 24th against the run, they lost DTs Onyemata n Tuttle in vet FA. But they then signed vet DTs Nathan Shepherd n Khalen Saunders:

But the Saints weren’t done at the DT position n selected Bryan Bresee in the 1st rd of the draft.

So IMO, these moves were made not only to “address” needs at DT, esp against the run, but hopefully to “upgrade” the overall play at the position.

We’ll see

3 seasons. 48 games.

2 catches per game.
23 yards per game.
1 TD every 6 games.

This is “low key pretty productive”
Not counting his rookie year when he barely played, he averaged 37 rec/377+ yards a season from 16-18. 420 receiving in the last season with Pitt. Those are solid averages for a 2nd-3rd TE. A healthy TE3 is all he’s being asked to be. Those are the same numbers Foster Moreau had with the Raiders as a 2nd TE behind Waller.

FBs are such a dying breed though. Best case scenario is to find a TE/H back that can fill in at FB as needed.
The Saints and the 49ers are among the few teams that still use a FB. A guy like Jucszyk makes a big difference for that Whiner offense… whereas Prentice is a non-factor.

The Saints and the 49ers are among the few teams that still use a FB. A guy like Jucszyk makes a big difference for that Whiner offense… whereas Prentice is a non-factor.

Count me in that group advocating for a TE/H back. Now that the TE group and WRs have been fleshed out pretty well, and we have RB depth, I want to see TH7 moved to that TE/H back position, and taking occassional Wildcat snaps.

Seeing TH7 play QB has become entirely too predictable. And he's too good of a player to only be taking occassional snaps. Put him at H-back for the majority of his plays and toss him some swing passes & check downs, or even run him on some sweeps. Dude is a Mack Truck with some speed...no one wants to see him tuck & running right at them with a head of speed. We negate his strengths by running him between the tackles, through traffic, because the defense crowds the box when he's taking a snap...KNOWING that 80% of the time, it's a run play. Even so, dude occassionally rips off a big gainer in that traffic. Imagine if it was less congested?!

Put him at H-back and design a few plays to get TH7 in space and see what happens. Have DC4 use him as a checkdown outlet on the outside. Perhaps even consider some flea-flicker tosses....DC4 to TH7 on the outside....TH7 surveys the field for an open WR, or tucks & runs into open field. A couple of times a game, have DC4 in shotgun, but hike to TH7 as Wildcat and let him pick his hole in the spread-out defensive formation that was expecting a DC4 pass, or at least had to honor that possibility?!

THIS is how you maximize TH7s full advantages. Instead of playing him as a QB who can run (and taking your best QB off the field to do that), play him as a RB/FB/H-back who can pass. Restore the element of surprise by having TH7 on the field more often than he is off the field. And watch the defense get hammered into submission until it crumbles later in the game. That's the ground & pound offense, with big-strike capability, that DA wants to run, in order to rest & protect the defense. Last year, we didn't have the personnel to execute that. This year, there's no reason NOT to.

Count me in that group advocating for a TE/H back. Now that the TE group and WRs have been fleshed out pretty well, and we have RB depth, I want to see TH7 moved to that TE/H back position, and taking occassional Wildcat snaps.

Seeing TH7 play QB has become entirely too predictable. And he's too good of a player to only be taking occassional snaps. Put him at H-back for the majority of his plays and toss him some swing passes & check downs, or even run him on some sweeps. Dude is a Mack Truck with some speed...no one wants to see him tuck & running right at them with a head of speed. We negate his strengths by running him between the tackles, through traffic, because the defense crowds the box when he's taking a snap...KNOWING that 80% of the time, it's a run play. Even so, dude occassionally rips off a big gainer in that traffic. Imagine if it was less congested?!

Put him at H-back and design a few plays to get TH7 in space and see what happens. Have DC4 use him as a checkdown outlet on the outside. Perhaps even consider some flea-flicker tosses....DC4 to TH7 on the outside....TH7 surveys the field for an open WR, or tucks & runs into open field. A couple of times a game, have DC4 in shotgun, but hike to TH7 as Wildcat and let him pick his hole in the spread-out defensive formation that was expecting a DC4 pass, or at least had to honor that possibility?!

THIS is how you maximize TH7s full advantages. Instead of playing him as a QB who can run (and taking your best QB off the field to do that), play him as a RB/FB/H-back who can pass. Restore the element of surprise by having TH7 on the field more often than he is off the field. And watch the defense get hammered into submission until it crumbles later in the game. That's the ground & pound offense, with big-strike capability, that DA wants to run, in order to rest & protect the defense. Last year, we didn't have the personnel to execute that. This year, there's no reason NOT to.
That’s some great options. Taysom has Chris Ivory grit & smart enough to throw completions. An uncommon athlete.

I love watching his snaps.

What ever happened to FBs like Jim Otis, Steve Owens, Moose Johnson and Tony Galbreath? You know, guys who run and catch. Remember Jim Brown and Jimmy Taylor were full backs. I know the game has changed but it hasn't so much that guys like that wouldn't be worth a roster spot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom