Saints sign WR Kirk Merritt (1 Viewer)

Saint Pompano

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
That would be amazing, but I’m skeptical. Why hasn’t he done anything to this point if he’s the next Deebo? Or deserving of being in the same sentence as those others you listed?

He absolutely deserves to be in the same sentence. It's not a question about his talent. He had off the field issues after transferring to TAMU ended up in JUCO where he dominated and his team won the JUCO championship, then he went to Arkansas St and dominated there as well. He went undrafted because off the field issues then signed on with the Dolphins who actually have a few decent WRs. He barely missed making the 53-man roster and still hung around for 2 seasons.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
He absolutely deserves to be in the same sentence. It's not a question about his talent. He had off the field issues after transferring to TAMU ended up in JUCO where he dominated and his team won the JUCO championship, then he went to Arkansas St and dominated there as well. He went undrafted because off the field issues then signed on with the Dolphins who actually have a few decent WRs. He barely missed making the 53-man roster and still hung around for 2 seasons.
I hope he gets his off the field issues squared away then, and I’ll be pulling for him. I’d love to have a Deebo on this team, even tho I loathe him on the Niners.

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Local kid now living his dream to play for the Saints. If he doesn't make it, can't imagine it will be from a lack of all-out effort.

Good luck, fellow Saints fan.

SWJJ

Wats-off
Reaction score
Dolphins fans were sad to see him leave, said he was open downfield when he got playing time, but they don't throw deep.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Great, I guess we don't have to worry about drafting a WR early. j/k

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
That could be the reality, but I’m choosing to be optimistic about a guy who hasn’t had a real chance in the NFL yet. Not all people are college material and he clearly struggled in that environment, but he hasn’t given up on football, so maybe that’s his real calling. Besides, these are exactly the kinds of players our team needs to bring in and develop because we have so little talent on offense and little resources to acquire it.
That last part gives me hope for this guy too. Our WR room is very weak.

Saint Pompano

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I hope he gets his off the field issues squared away then, and I’ll be pulling for him. I’d love to have a Deebo on this team, even tho I loathe him on the Niners.

I think his off the field issues have been squared away for years, now he's just looking for an fair opportunity. We know that CSP gives that opportunity. Lance Moore is a good example of a WR who went undrafted and spent a season on another team's practice squad.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
True, but weak at the top. Get Thomas back and add a draft pick and this WR corps can be really good, top to bottom, and that scenario doesn't seem like a huge stretch.
I agree with that, am just worried about a few things pertaining to Thomas.

His health, ability to cut pivot as he did before, as that’s his game.

The relationship between he and the staff, teammates. Hoping Michael still WANTS to be here, and that Sean and Mike have squared it all away.

Saint Pompano

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I just found this video of his whole story and it’s very interesting. If there was ever a guy that’s a giant question mark it’s him. He seems to have the talent, but right as his opportunities are about to come to fruition, something happens.

I watched that too. Looks like it was the incident(s) at TAMU that gave him the red flag. Transferring from Oregon to TAMU makes sense. A lot of kids who go out west end up transferring back closer to home, but he ruined that opportunity. He's been good to go since then.

football

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Finally we signed a WR. Will he play this weekend?

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Those testing numbers are insane (all but height). He's definitely the type of athlete SP likes to add on a futures deal to see if he can develop him. Seems he'll compete with White for a spot on the practice squad.

Errrr, ummm... (*cough, cough*). Steve Smith Sr. is 5’9”... and Merritt is 6’0”. 🤔

:gosaints:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines