Saints sign WR Kirk Merritt (1 Viewer)

I sure wish we could go back to the era of Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis too. They could sign gems off of peoples practice squads and after the draft like nobody’s business. Oh, and when the drafted guys like Colston, Jahri, Carl Nick and Strief on day 3 of the draft. That was special. I sure wish we had Payton and Loomis back.
In all fairness, Colston and Evans were day 1 talent who played at Div II school and Nicks was day one talent who couldn't stay out of his own way..lol

So we are moving goal posts now? At first it was first 2 rounds, now its first 3 rounds?

So we are moving goal posts now? At first it was first 2 rounds, now its first 3 rounds?
Regardless, this guy isn't a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th rounder....he's a 25 year old CFB flameout who in 2 years of being pro has caught a whopping single pass for 13 yards. I'm not hitching our success on to his wagon, I think it's crazy to think he'd be anything but a camp body.

We get it, you like flashy draft picks and nothing else. I’m sure there is a thread about a former heismann winner that became a first overall pick for you here somewhere.

This particular thread is not about those kind of guys. It’s about a practice squad guy that was signed to our 90 man offseason roster that may have some upside. I’m honestly baffled why you want to crap on this guy. He hasn’t underperformed, hasn’t been a waste of cap space, hasn’t dropped 20 passes, hasn’t cost us a game. What’s your problem with the team signing him and the forum discussing him?
This aint got nothing to do w/ Winston...not even sure why you mentioned it...he's your obsession not mine. Anyway, not sure how we got down this rabbit hole, but if he, Merritt, makes the team, then that really means that we didn't do anything to really fix the WR room...not sure how that's a bash. Apparently we like to heap praise immediately and when it doesn't pan out, forget that we thought he was going to be the guy. (see Kevin White)

What we need to do, is seriously approach fixing the WR position early (first 2 rounds, maybe 3rd) because throwing a bunch of camp bodies out there in 2022 is the definition of insanity, we've seen this story before, thinking it'll end otherwise is foolish.

Regardless, this guy isn't a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th rounder....he's a 25 year old CFB flameout who in 2 years of being pro has caught a whopping single pass for 13 yards. I'm not hitching our success on to his wagon, I think it's crazy to think he'd be anything but a camp body.
No one said they were hitching our success to his wagon.

No one said he alone was the answer to our WR issues.

We were just excited for his potential upside and getting that cheaply, and that he's a local and life time saints fan.

Maybe try decaf for the 3rd or 4th cup bro.

UDFAs and people who have had issues in college sometimes pan out to be contributors. Sometimes good talent gets buried on other people's depth charts. No one has implied we think he will be a world beater or all-pro, but you have relegated him to just a camp body before he has even had a chance to work out with the team.

This aint got nothing to do w/ Winston...not even sure why you mentioned it...he's your obsession not mine. Anyway, not sure how we got down this rabbit hole, but if he, Merritt, makes the team, then that really means that we didn't do anything to really fix the WR room...not sure how that's a bash. Apparently we like to heap praise immediately and when it doesn't pan out, forget that we thought he was going to be the guy. (see Kevin White)

What we need to do, is seriously approach fixing the WR position early (first 2 rounds, maybe 3rd) because throwing a bunch of camp bodies out there in 2022 is the definition of insanity, we've seen this story before, thinking it'll end otherwise is foolish.
Kevin white was not just a first round pick, he was a top 10 pick.

your positions seem circular to me and just to be adversarial.

Again, no one is saying that just because Merritt has potential and talent he is the answer, but you are absolutely sure he's gonna be a washout.

Maybe dial it back a hair and let us enjoy our offseason.

No one said they were hitching our success to his wagon.

No one said he alone was the answer to our WR issues.

We were just excited for his potential upside and getting that cheaply, and that he's a local and life time saints fan.

Maybe try decaf for the 3rd or 4th cup bro.

UDFAs and people who have had issues in college sometimes pan out to be contributors. Sometimes good talent gets buried on other people's depth charts. No one has implied we think he will be a world beater or all-pro, but you have relegated him to just a camp body before he has even had a chance to work out with the team.

He's probably upset that I compared his skillset to Deebo. A WR who Shanahan has morphed is role into one that capitalizes on his strengths as a player. I think it totally went over his head when I broke down their physical similarities and from the film, similar strengths on the field.

He's probably upset that I compared his skillset to Deebo. A WR who Shanahan has morphed is role into one that capitalizes on his strengths as a player. I think it totally went over his head when I broke down their physical similarities and from the film, similar strengths on the field.
Saying he has a similar skill set = / = saying he will have equivalent success.

I'm excited for the unknown. I know that TQS is nothing more than a fourth string at best option. I know that Callaway is not ready to be a feature receiver. I know Kevin White has not once come close to living up to his billing. I know the passing game was quite literally dead last without Michael Thomas. Maybe this kid won't go anywhere, maybe he's the next Lance Moore. All I know is I want the Saints to go into Training Camp with 30 wide receivers.

We got down this rabbit hole because you feel the need to continually berate others because they simply wish to discuss an interesting signing. And you're the only one mentioning anything about this "fixing the WR room" I guess in an effort to prop up your hyperbolic responses. No one is delusional about this fixing anything. We all know the odds of high draft picks vs. low picks and UDFAs. And we also know that sometimes they pay off and it's fun to speculate.

Just an interesting signing to discuss DURING OUR OFFSEASON.

I'm excited for the unknown. I know that TQS is nothing more than a fourth string at best option. I know that Callaway is not ready to be a feature receiver. I know Kevin White has not once come close to living up to his billing. I know the passing game was quite literally dead last without Michael Thomas. Maybe this kid won't go anywhere, maybe he's the next Lance Moore. All I know is I want the Saints to go into Training Camp with 30 wide receivers.
Amen lol.

We got down this rabbit hole because you feel the need to continually berate others because they simply wish to discuss an interesting signing. And you're the only one mentioning anything about this "fixing the WR room" I guess in an effort to prop up your hyperbolic responses. No one is delusional about this fixing anything. We all know the odds of high draft picks vs. low picks and UDFAs. And we also know that sometimes they pay off and it's fun to speculate.

Just an interesting signing to discuss DURING OUR OFFSEASON.
Respectfully disagree...I don't recall berating anyone and if I did or if it was percieved as such...my bad. I don't even think I bashed the Merritt guy, just found the comparison to DeAnthony Thomas odd seeing how he (DeAnthony Thomas) hadn't accomplished anything in the NFL, that's really how all this started.

I'm just tired of us as a team bargain basement shopping at the WR position and then have us turn around and wonder why our WRs arent getting separation, or why are they dropping so many passes. Sometimes you get out of a position what you put into it...my stance, Sometimes you just have to spend to get production.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom