Saints signing Safety Johnathan Abram to one-year deal (1 Viewer)

Everybody seems to love to highly overrated Mathieu but hates the Abram signing?

At least Abram can make tackles in the open field, the only big play TM made last year was an overthrow that hit him in the chest

Not according to PFF where Mathieu graded as the 5th best Safety. Not according to how the backfield ranked last year, where the Saints yielded the 2nd fewest yards and the third fewest touchdowns. Mathieu was a significant piece of a DB backfield that had a really good year. I wouldn't call him overrated.

In my mind I'm envisioning him in a LB/Safety hybrid role playing near the LOS. If he was signed to be one of our starting Safeties I'd have some concerns but he wasn't. I think he'll be a depth player used more like a LBer to give the defense more speed while not sacrificing as much in the run game.

Say what you want about DA but the man flat out knows DBs and Secondary play. That's his super power. If anyone was ever going to get anything out of Abram it would be DA. I'm sure DA will limit his coverage exposure and let him chase ball carriers. Abram has been a bust but he's put up some solid tackle numbers for a Safety. In '20 he led the Raiders in combined tackles with 86. In '21 he finished second with 116. Seems like he at least knows how to get in the way of a ball carrier from time to time. Considering how dodgy our run defense was last year I'm not turning my nose up at any player who can tackle.

Last edited:
Gives them something to itch about.

Praise the team all off-season, defending their moves for 99% of the time, consistently preaching that the sky is not falling and that we are set up for a surprise run...but the one time someone doesn't like a move the team makes, signing a former first round pick that hasn't looked very good, has attitude issues/isn't liked by many, was shunned by his original team, lasted two weeks with the Packers, and got shunned by a third team, suddenly we're "itching?"

This is a pickup to make sure plays like the long TD to Shenault and Patterson trucking Badger don't happen again
This is a good signing since the Saints primary only go 2 LBs. This is a direct replacement to Chauncey. The Saints didn't miss him in the pass game they missed him in the run game. Ceedy was a great tackler and he had several timely blitzes. Like you stated about the missed tackles by Shenault and Patterson. You can also throw in Chase play and many other during the season. Justin Evans was put into that role but he didn't quite fit. Abrams should be a plug and play in that role.

Look, obviously professional evaluators are making decisions based on amounts of data many of us can’t even fathom, but this idea that they’re all superior at their jobs and that no fan exists that can reasonably make informed judgments or see potential errors that these very human individuals make is silly.

We have access to so much data and information these days, and people are paying closer attention to football than ever before.

And add to that that we are now saying the idea that a team coming off a 7-10 season is above criticism? Come on now.

I’m of the opinion that Abrams isn’t very good at football, and his personality rubs me the wrong way (and is a part of what got him ran out of town in Vegas). Apparently other teams believe he is not a fit for them, so why does this have to turn into a referendum on a fan’s ability to make that very same judgment other professionals have made?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom