Saints signing Safety Johnathan Abram to one-year deal (1 Viewer)

Yes because football teams never make personnel mistakes that fans can reasonably predict.

I forgot just how perfect our pro personnel department has been for the past three years, my mistake.

Asad-you-need-to-take-a-chill-pill GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

In my mind I'm envisioning him in a LB/Safety hybrid role playing near the LOS. If he was signed to be one of our starting Safeties I'd have some concerns but he wasn't. I think he'll be a depth player used more like a LBer to give the defense more speed while not sacrificing as much in the run game.

Say what you want about DA but the man flat out knows DBs and Secondary play. That's his super power. If anyone was ever going to get anything out of Abram it would be DA. I'm sure DA will limit his coverage exposure and let him chase ball carriers. Abram has been a bust but he's put up some solid tackle numbers for a Safety. In '20 he led the Raiders in combined tackles with 86. In '21 he finished second with 116. Seems like he at least knows how to get in the way of a ball carrier from time to time. Considering how dodgy our run defense was last year I'm not turning my nose up at any player who can tackle.
Exactly and after watching what Patterson did to Honey badger I am welcoming this with open arms šŸ˜‚ Tyrann was out there making business decisions. We needed a crash dummy lol

This signing is not for a starting position. It's just a 1 yr. deal and if Abram works, good, if he doesn't, he's gone after this season. Between DA and the new DC, they both have extensive background coaching the secondary, I believe they will put Abram in position to succeed. They wouldn't have signed him if they didn't have a specific plan for him.

But it seems like they understand that and will use him appropriately. If he's no good they'll cut him.
Yep. Like I said I hope he doesn't see the field.

Nothing against he guy and he signed cheap so it's not a big deal.

Not everyone we sign in FA is going to be excellent. Not sure what the clown face is for lmao

Last edited:

Not everyone we sign in FA is going to be excellent. Not sure what the clown face is for lmao
We know Abram isn't perfect. But we signed him for a reason. He may be able to make an impact on ST and help shore up the run defense by playing in the box close to the LOS. DA and the secondary coaches will find a way to put him in a position to succeed. Why signed a player if he doesn't see the field, that's illogical. That's like saying, we're going to spend money to sign this guy, but we're never going to use him.

Last edited:
We know Abram isn't perfect. But we signed him for a reason. He may be able to make an impact on ST and help shore up the run defense by playing in the box close to the LOS. DA and the secondary coaches will find a way to put him in a position to succeed. Why signed a player if he doesn't see the field, that's illogical. That's like saying, we're going to pend money to sign this guy, but we're never going to use him.
We sign plenty of players who won't see the field, it's called depth.

If Abram sees the field over our current group of DBs (Lattimore, Adebo, Taylor, Matheiu, Maye) something is wrong. Therefor I hope he stays depth and doesn't see the field.

We sign plenty of players who won't see the field, it's called depth.

If Abram sees the field over our current group of DBs (Lattimore, Adebo, Taylor, Matheiu, Maye) something is wrong. Therefor I hope he stays depth and doesn't see the field.
Even our depth players see the field at some point during games. Due to rotating in and out depending on the defensive scenarios called or to give players a rest for a few plays. Like I said, the defensive coaches are not going to put him in a position to fail.

If Justin evans and Daniel Sorenson (who actually wasnā€™t bad) saw the field then he will. Get real lol

I really like this signing. I think Abram hasn't found his spot in the NFL yet. Hopefully we give him some freedom and let him roam underneath, rush the passer or even play some sort of OLB zone role. At the very least he is depth that can play special teams, safety and perhaps some LB. Just have to keep him from being the last line of defense and out of man coverage against anyone that is capable in the passing game.

Low risk, high reward signing.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom