Saints signing Safety Johnathan Abram to one-year deal (1 Viewer)

I was going to try and say the ranking might have a lot to do with the horrid defense the Raider ran. But then I went back and looked at previous seasons and he has never really been viewed highly. And on a bad defense you'd think that if you had talent you'd rise to the top...
Maybe he will become a ST ace.
Not sure how they used him. Could be a Vonn Bell type. Keep him in situations going downhill and he's an asset. Ask him to cover and you get those kinds of grades. Would limit his playing time but sounds like he does have some strengths you can take advantage of.

No, I think there’s a risk. Isn’t he a penalty machine?

He is going from a former Raider player to a Saints player, he knows all about the NFL and penalties called on certain teams.

Everybody seems to love to highly overrated Mathieu but hates the Abram signing?

At least Abram can make tackles in the open field, the only big play TM made last year was an overthrow that hit him in the chest

I don’t know anything about him but I do keep seeing that’s he is a hard hitter. Plays better close to the line and can blitz.

if all that’s true it reminds me a bit of Harper’s game. Wouldn’t be bad to have that again. Kinda of a SS/LB hybrid. At least it never hurts to kick the tires and just see if he can flourish in the right system. I did see an article in this thread where he had like 3 or 4 different DCs in his time with the Raiders. Maybe stability will help too.

Coverage issues have plagued the Mississippi State alum as a pro. While Pro Football Focus rates Abram outside the top 75 among full-time safeties this season, the advanced metrics site has Vegas starter Trevon Moehrig slotted in the bottom five at the position.

We aren’t asking him to come in and start at safety. 1 year, low $ deal. Low risk/high reward.

Wow. Would have never thought that the Gruden/Mayock pair would have had such a run of first round misses. Granted a couple were for off-field issues and not performance related.

Abram’s exit during his rookie contract makes him the fourth Raider first-rounder over the past four years who failed to play out his rookie deal. The Raiders cut Henry Ruggs and Damon Arnettewithin a two-week period last fall, with off-field incidents leading to each’s exit. Alex Leatherwood did not make it into his second season, being waived after training camp this year.

I don’t know anything about him but I do keep seeing that’s he is a hard hitter. Plays better close to the line and can blitz.

if all that’s true it reminds me a bit of Harper’s game. Wouldn’t be bad to have that again. Kinda of a SS/LB hybrid. At least it never hurts to kick the tires and just see if he can flourish in the right system. I did see an article in this thread where he had like 3 or 4 different DCs in his time with the Raiders. Maybe stability will help too.
Roman Harper.

Wow. Would have never thought that the Gruden/Mayock pair would have had such a run of first round misses. Granted a couple were for off-field issues and not performance related.

Yeah, Mayock is good at draft analysis and at least SPEAKING on players and their ability, but I guess it's a whole different ball game when it comes to actually putting together a squad.

I don't want to rag on Abrams too much since he is on our squad now. In fact, you'll rarely ever hear me do that to a player, but he is indeed one of a very small list that I would have on my do not touch list. Hopefully Coach Allen can find a suitable role for him to contribute. The guy definitely does enjoy hitting and does that well at least; I'll give him that.

Potential special teams demon?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom