Saints signing Latavius Murray. Ingram likely out (2 Viewers)

Lol. You act like he has been moving around yearly, but the guy played 3 years in Oakland, left for a good sized 2 year free agent deal with the Vikings, and now will sign a 4 years good sized deal in New Orleans. It's not like he was chased out of 3 teams in 4 years. He has been moving on for better opportunities. But making is sound like he is a journeyman sure does make it sound better for your agenda.

What agenda, I want us to have the best players possible. I think MI is better than LM...if LM was a great, dynamic running back then why wouldn't one of the other teams retain him? I think that is a fair question....3 teams in 4 years (in a 5 year career) no matter how you slice it is the definition of a journeyman....I really hope those other teams make a mistake....

What agenda, I want us to have the best players possible. I think MI is better than LM...if LM was a great, dynamic running back then why wouldn't one of the other teams retain him? I think that is a fair question....3 teams in 4 years (in a 5 year career) no matter how you slice it is the definition of a journeyman....I really hope those other teams make a mistake....

I don't think that Murray is a great, dynamic RB. I think he's a good power back with pass catching and pass blocking skills, that we got on a reasonable contract. And I'm sure other teams were interested in him but he apparently chose the Saints. Likely because he liked the contract, liked the idea of going to a winning team, and liked the idea of playing with Kamara. And, I mean, free agency is all about guys moving around and going to new teams. Just because he doesn't sing with the team he was with last year doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

G
The thing that's getting lost in this heartbreak is that Murray is a good player. Of course he's not Ingram but he's not a bum. He's been to the Pro Bowl and he's put up decent numbers when given the opportunity. Their career averages aren't as far off as you'd think.

Murray has averaged 740 yards rushing and 7 TDs a season. Mark Ingram has averaged 751 yards rushing and 6 TDs.

Murray has averaged 26 rec and 177 yards receiving a season. Ingram has averaged 29 rec and 200 yards a season.

This is the one thing I didn't recall about him, whether or not he is a decent pass catching back. We definitely don’t need another Adrian Peterson situation.

I like Murray. Good enough to be an effective cowbell when needed but not good enough to take touches away from Kamara during an important possession or play. A true change of pace back for our all world RB.

He's the perfect compliment to Kamara, but Ingram was too...

I'm choosing to not let losing MI sour this signing. Taking a step back to see it from a neutral view, this is a great signing and what appears to be an excellent fit in terms of role. If we're paying less than half per year of what MI is going to sign for, then I'm sure Saints brass asked, "is MI more than 2 times better the player LM is?" Not many in the know would answer yes to that because it's absurd. If we had to lose MI, this is a fantastic bargain signing that seems to be a really nice fit for what he'll be tasked with on this team and his versatility in the passing game is what makes it such a great fit. AP didn't work out because he didn't have that versatility and it's absolutely crucial in our offense.

6'3", 230lbs with a 4.38 40 and 36" vert? Come on down!

Sad to see MI go, but I'm personally thrilled with this signing and the business savvy behind the decision. I'll conclude with this:

Last edited:
He has been with 3 teams in 4 years now....NFL reports praising his skills to the heavens can't explain that away....I'll say it again, I don't think LM is as good or dynamic as MI....I hope I'm surprised and would gladly admit to being wrong, it certainly won't be the first time....we will see....
Well, if you insist on the goalposts, ok. You said he was not an asset as a blocker nor a receiver, I've provided commentary that says he is. Waiting for you to justify your opinion.

Well, if you insist on the goalposts, ok. You said he was not an asset as a blocker nor a receiver, I've provided commentary that says he is. Waiting for you to justify your opinion.

What goalposts? And where did I say he couldn’t be an asset? I think I merely stated that he is not as good at either as MI has shown to be. I think that is one of the reasons MI will be signing a huge deal (actually much larger than I believed if the rumors are true) and Murray is happy to sign with us for a lot less. It is quite obvious other teams in the NFL value MI a whole lot more than they do Murray, could they be wrong? I hope so....

And you haven't addressed why he has been with 3 teams in 4 years, if he is such a dynamic back thus far in his career, those types tend to stick on teams for a while....

I don't think that Murray is a great, dynamic RB. I think he's a good power back with pass catching and pass blocking skills, that we got on a reasonable contract. And I'm sure other teams were interested in him but he apparently chose the Saints. Likely because he liked the contract, liked the idea of going to a winning team, and liked the idea of playing with Kamara. And, I mean, free agency is all about guys moving around and going to new teams. Just because he doesn't sing with the team he was with last year doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

I agree, reasonable contract being the key...there was no way we were going to pay MI 7-8 million a year on a multiyear deal....if we could have got him at 5 mil for 2-3 years I would have been upset with this signing but that sounds like it is not the case....

What goalposts? And where did I say he couldn’t be an asset? I think I merely stated that he is not as good at either as MI has shown to be. I think that is one of the reasons MI will be signing a huge deal (actually much larger than I believed if the rumors are true) and Murray is happy to sign with us for a lot less. It is quite obvious other teams in the NFL value MI a whole lot more than they do Murray, could they be wrong? I hope so....

And you haven't addressed why he has been with 3 teams in 4 years, if he is such a dynamic back thus far in his career, those types tend to stick on teams for a while....

Well looking at the transaction history, he was the guy in Oakland then Lynch returned from retirement and forced a trade to Oakland. He signed with the Vikings to be the guy and Cook fell in their lap in the draft. I'm not sure it is lack of talent, but just bad timing. My guess is he doesn't want to be a #2, but is okay with being in a RBBC.

Well looking at the transaction history, he was the guy in Oakland then Lynch returned from retirement and forced a trade to Oakland. He signed with the Vikings to be the guy and Cook fell in their lap in the draft. I'm not sure it is lack of talent, but just bad timing. My guess is he doesn't want to be a #2, but is okay with being in a RBBC.

So, he was replaced by a RB that sat out of football for a year and was 31 years old. Then he was replaced by a rookie (albeit a talented one) on his new team? I'm not trying to be smarmy here, but that would seem to support my argument, that if he was so dynamic/good why was he unable to hold the starting RB job for 2 different teams.

I think you are right, he is probably very happy to be with the Saints RBBC...and I hope he balls out for us....

I like the signing. Will miss Ingram’s presence and leadership. Don’t understand the hate on Murray unless it’s just people looking at stats. Murray is a good back. Maybe lacking only in lateral movement compared to Mark, imo.

I feel like we’re going to be fine. Murray is a solid back. Can’t wait to see what he can do.

Also I feel we might spend a pick on a back next month. Maybe not the 2nd or 5th rounder. But at some point.

I think most of us would rather have Coleman but Coleman is probably going to be much more expensive. It will be interesting to see how the RB market plays out. The Murray signing could be a decent deal or it could be like the Kurt Coleman signing where we panicked and overpaid for an "ok" player.

My question is why did the FO feel like they had to address the RB spot this early? It seems like they could've waited and got a decent back for cents on the dollar. It's not like we needed to bring in a starter. We're talking about a complimentary back here. They must have really like the versatility Murray offers. He's not great at anything but he's ok at everything. He does excel in one area though, pass pro. That's something that a lot of these other backs aren't going to give you.
You just answered your own question. There are a lot of flashy names out there, but few will allow us to keep defenses off balance in the way we need to.

The only way this deal is an overpay is if he falls off a cliff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom