Saints still concerned about offensive line after loss to Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

Thats a fair point. I just refuse to believe that after seeing this they arent going to do something to adjust.

Have we ever been great at making late adjustments?

Right now the only real options outside of our roster are trading for Leary at LG, and the Cowboys likely want more than we are willing to give. And signing Vasquez at RG, which would give Peat a chance to compete with Strief at RT. While Leary isn't great in pass protection he's still better than what we have. Vasquez is good in pass protection but he's not much of a zone blocker which is why he was released from Denver, I think there is more to the story as to why he's still a FA.

Watching again. I don't know where the line goes from here. Something has to give. Texans still low point. But this wasn't much better.— Nick Underhill (@nick_underhill) August 27, 2016

This pretty much sums it up. With a week of preseason left, something has to happen. There's no way they can look at the offensive (very accurate term) line and think, "We can go 16 games with this".

My only hope is that the new coach/system tweaks are still in process, and they will gel sooner rather than later.

And the defenses aren't scheming either. If they are getting beat bad head-to-head then what on earth do you think is going to happen when defenses stop going vanilla?

No way I'd extend Brees before the season starts because honestly I'm not confident he'd make it through the season behind the current line.

The resigning of Brees ( or not) should be his call unless of course his salary demands are too high

If he should get injured us ditching him would be poor form considering the circumstances he was signed

If I'm him I would wait and see how the season goes and what the team does to address the situation

I think the coaching staff waited too long to put Peat on the right side. He needs to learn one position. I think we'll slowly get better now that Pete can learn one job. He played better than last weekend even if he did whiff a couple of times.

Directly affected by this is the player who will play left guard and needing time to gel with the other players around him.
My gut says left guard will be Kelemete.

With the new CBA, the teams only get the players for so much time now. We are getting the opportunity to watch them try players all over the line to figure out who the 5 best linemen are. Now they have a couple of weeks of closed practices to get the players they've chosen to play in sync.
Well, that's my spin on it anyway.
I think we have a chance to get better

Thats a fair point. I just refuse to believe that after seeing this they arent going to do something to adjust.
Two seasons ago we had aging Jonathan Goodwin at Center and he was getting walked back into Brees all season.

They never really adjusted.

So, there's that.

I watched Peat for a while last night. I wonder how he is going to play anywhere. He looked lost to me. He wasn't blocking well and on a lot of plays he didn't block at all. Almost looks like he doesn't even want to play.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Watching again. I don&#39;t know where the line goes from here. Something has to give. Texans still low point. But this wasn&#39;t much better.</p>&mdash; Nick Underhill (@nick_underhill) <a href="https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/769412077622480896">August 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, to play optimist (something I haven't been good at this offseason), where you go from here is to get Armstead healthy and try Landon Turner with the 1s.

Most of the pressure last night was Tony Hills getting killed at LT.

Landon Turner looked really good last night. There's no reason not to give him a shot.

Finally, you scour the waiver wire and pick up a vet if you can.

That's where we go from here.

I watched Peat for a while last night. I wonder how he is going to play anywhere. He looked lost to me. He wasn't blocking well and on a lot of plays he didn't block at all. Almost looks like he doesn't even want to play.

Not sure what game you watched. Peat was much improved last night and not a problem at all. The one play that looked ugly was actually Striefs's fault.

The left side of the line was the big issue. Hills and Lelito.

Myles only hope is that the new coach/system tweaks are still in process, and they will gel sooner rather than later.

Seems to be what the coaching staff is thinking too. In all fairness, OLINE's do take time to gel. Especially in zone blocking schemes.

Well I hope they're right. First impressions aren't all that positive.

Not sure what game you watched. Peat was much improved last night and not a problem at all. The one play that looked ugly was actually Striefs's fault.

The left side of the line was the big issue. Hills and Lelito.

+1

Seems to be what the coaching staff is thinking too. In all fairness, OLINE's do take time to gel. Especially in zone blocking schemes.

Well I hope they're right. First impressions aren't all that positive.

I'm not hopeful really (no expectations this year), but I can at least entertain the idea that they'll get better with time assuming we get Armstead back.

There were several playoff teams last year who started the season with awful OL play and they got better as time went on.

I really wish we could see Landon Turner get some run with the ones. I realize that he's a rookie UDFA and that he's been playing almost exclusively against backups, but he has looked like the best pure guard on our team, IMO. He definitely has a NFL guard body and strength, as he's regularly just bulldozing defensive linemen in the run game and he's looked a lot better in pass protection than I expected. I think he and Peat should be the starting guards. Let them take their lumps and progress together.

Lelito just is what he is. I think he's reached his ceiling and he's just not that good. Doubt any changes are made though, to be honest.

Lelito looked terrible against Houston's backups. They used to be our whipping boys. Now the table seems to have turned.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom