Saints still concerned about offensive line after loss to Pittsburgh Steelers (2 Viewers)

Was it me or did the Olines and Dlines

look fat and overweight? THey are soft and I saw guts on them out this world. Is it the Greenbrier? Are they really taking vacations? Also, it seems like their strength is subpar and they are being pushed all over place. Who's the strength and conditioning coach?:covri:

Well, to play optimist (something I haven't been good at this offseason), where you go from here is to get Armstead healthy and try Landon Turner with the 1s.

Most of the pressure last night was Tony Hills getting killed at LT.

Landon Turner looked really good last night. There's no reason not to give him a shot.

Finally, you scour the waiver wire and pick up a vet if you can.

That's where we go from here.

Been trying to get info on Turner and if he has ever played LG and how big of a change is that using Peat as a comparison ( switching sides )

The QBs were harassed and the running backs got stuffed on short yardage runs. At first I was worried about Strief, he's a liability but not even the biggest concern anymore. Peat is looking like a total miss, he should not be this bad in year 2. Still have no idea who the other starter at guard will be, nobody has earned the spot. As much as I hate to lose any more assets, the Saints have to make a trade to bolster the O line or it's going to be a long season.

Been trying to get info on Turner and if he has ever played LG and how big of a change is that using Peat as a comparison ( switching sides )

He played on both sides up at UNC, both left and right guard. Mostly on the right, but he's done both.

First round of cuts should be incoming on monday. Guards are the least valued starting position in the league, we should have some better options on the waiver wire or outright free agent veterans. I think it's obvious we're going to cut down majorly and potentially bring in a bunch of new options at guard and possibly even tackle if Armstead isn't going to be ready.

I thought they definitely played better, except for the LT position. Hill is garbage, Peat Future is definitely at RG he looks much better and more comfortable. They need to get Armstead healthy though if this line is gonna function.

I disagree , Peat's future is at RT , only reason he's at RG is that we are very weak at G. You can't put him at RT now because ZS is NOT a guard , Put Peat ar RT now and make ZS a backup we have an even bigger hole at G . The idea is to put your best 5 out there almost regardless of where their natural position is

I think we all had concerns with the team's OL coming into the season. The draft did not appear to have any prospects that could come in and start right away and the team was still grappling with salary cap issues to pursue big time FAs. While we knew there was an issue at RG with Jahri Evans gone and who could fill that role, the bigger surprise is the horrible play of Lelito at the LG spot. That was not expected by us nor the coaching staff. So the concern now becomes a worry. Then the health of Armstead. Now it has gone from worry to panic. The only answer I can see at this stage is to try and sign some vets they get axed due to $ reason. What about Vasquez from Denver? He was pretty good at pass protection but so so on the run. He would be better than Lelito at this point.

Strief though slowing is solid. Center is set. Unless something new is up, Armstead is set to open. Kelemente I would guess starts at guard. I'd be surprised if Lelito does as he seems to have retired on field. So they have 2 weeks to get in a groove. All these guys have played before.

Remember last year they shuffled the line all year long due to Lelito being marginal, Evans being horrid and Armstead injured, and heck even Peat injured. Also, our great offensive line has had one of the worst guards in the NFL (Grubbs) while he was here, and honestly Evans hasn't been anything better than bottom 10 for 4 years. So really while we like to remember the good days of Nicks and Evans, our guard play has been pretty atrocious for the last 3 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully Peat gets better and I am sure he will, but for now he just looks like a boy in a mans body, he runs around, doesn't know who to block and doesn't seem to be able to get his hands on the faster Dlineman. The big issue is every team in the NFL now seems to have at least two pass rushers other than us. And they are surely going to see the same footage we see and attack Peat and Strief, heck they'll actually attack what ever point of the line they wish until we fool them with screens and develop a run gun to make them honest.

These were three playoff teams we played though, basically in their prime so I wouldn't call the season over yet, but we need to be getting better every week here on in.

What? Where is the false hope and the positive spin some of you people live by? Welcome to reality.

Isn't there a rock you can crawl back under? Saint snap off a couple impressive wins and this clown will be our biggest cheerleader.

Well, to play optimist (something I haven't been good at this offseason), where you go from here is to get Armstead healthy and try Landon Turner with the 1s.

Most of the pressure last night was Tony Hills getting killed at LT.

Landon Turner looked really good last night. There's no reason not to give him a shot.

Finally, you scour the waiver wire and pick up a vet if you can.

That's where we go from here.

Landon Turner probably needs more development but will start getting looks during the season as I feel there is going to be an ongoing shuffle at the offensive line position as the primary backup at both tackles slots is your starting RG that dynamic alone will cause shuffling and inconsistencies in the unit.

There has got to be a happy medium between "its the end of the world" and "There is nothing to worry about"

I wish people would stop going to either extreme. Yes, it is obviously a real concern. But during the preseason the coaches are not going to be scheming around it right now. Once the real games happen they will find a way to make due with our deficiencies.

I understand most people's frustration. From everything we've heard, the Offensive Line has not looked good at all. And that includes TC & up until now. There's not much hope among the fan base right now.

On Friday (although it was preseason) we saw a team that looked like the 2015 team that played against the Redskins, Eagles and the Texans.

Not only did we lose those games, but we lost pretty bad.

And the defenses aren't scheming either. If they are getting beat bad head-to-head then what on earth do you think is going to happen when defenses stop going vanilla?
Someone called in to the Point after show one day and was telling Buddy D that the reason the Saints played so poorly is because they were running a vanilla scheme. Well good ol Buddy said that if we're running vanilla, then what flavor was the other team running? :hihi::hihi:

Two seasons ago we had aging Jonathan Goodwin at Center and he was getting walked back into Brees all season.

They never really adjusted.

So, there's that.

That's the stone cold reality check right there.

In fact, I remember when Lelito took his place at Center, and played pretty well. I was wondering if they were going to put him back in, but they never did. Apparently, the only way Goodwin was going to leave the lineup was if an injury was going to happen.

I hope Payton gets back to his old self and start making moves and stop settling for mediocrity.

I've been concerned for the past 3 seasons. There have been times where Drew has gotten mauled due to inept OL play. Last year he barely escaped serious injury to his arm. It will only get worse.

That's the stone cold reality check right there.

In fact, I remember when Lelito took his place at Center, and played pretty well. I was wondering if they were going to put him back in, but they never did. Apparently, the only way Goodwin was going to leave the lineup was if an injury was going to happen.

I hope Payton gets back to his old self and start making moves and stop settling for mediocrity.
That is indeed how it happened, which doesn't give me confidence in how they will manage Strief or anyone else.

We are talking about Lelito here and he did a decent job at Center filling in for Goodwin and things were better. Goodwin gets healed supposedly and comes back and we are giving up middle pressure again. If we could see it why not the coaches?

And why is Lelito regressing so much? He's UDFA but he started out looking better than this and has played better but now he's regressed.

And why is Lelito regressing so much? He's UDFA but he started out looking better than this and has played better but now he's regressed.

Scheme change ? I read everywhere he is solid in run blocking and below average in pass blocking... he is no that old, he cant have regressed that much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom