Saints Tackling (1 Viewer)

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone notice a lot of poor tackling in the first half?

I thought we were in trouble when Jackson started running right through the first contact. If our tackling wasn't so poor, we could have held the Bills to 30-40 yards rushing.

We seem to have tightened up in the 2nd half, and it's a good thing.

Can't win em all. Sure, there were a few bad missed tackles, but holding one of the hottest runners under 100 yds is a plus in my book. The D line is getting better and the way GW is adjusting the scheme shows great promise.

saints havent allowed 100 yards rushing in a game yet... i doubt jones and washington gets it this weekend...

I thought we were in trouble when Jackson started running right through the first contact. If our tackling wasn't so poor, we could have held the Bills to 30-40 yards rushing.

Lol it wasn't as bad of tackling as you thought. The Bills recognized a particular front we were in a few times and decided to run the ball on us...which lead to a few gashes. I remember Gregg or Payton saying it in an interview....but yeah no 100yd rushers allowed yet so im ok with it.

I think the biggest thing I noticed was the D Lineman routinely chasing the play downfield. Even saw Big Sed make a tackle on a receiver 7 yards down field. The D Line must have eaten their Wheaties on Sunday, I hope to see them bring it like that again this weekend.

I saw Ellis downfield several times. Great to see.

I was actually impressed with our tackling. Fred Jackson is a really, really hard guy to get down, and we limited him. If you want bad tackling, look at last night's game. That was abysmal on both sides.

If you want to see poor tackling, go back and watch the Cowgirls/Patty game last night. It was downright depressing.

Eh, not really.

Yeah we missed some but you aren't going to win the 1 on 1 battles everytime. I didn't see any glaring "I can't believe he missed that" moments and overall we seem to tackle very well. The only player that stood out to me as being average in this area was Fujita. He missed a few he probably shouldn't of, but overall I'm not complaining.

I agree with the above. Wanta see bad tackles. Rewatch last nights game. Just horrible.

I recall seeing Fujita miss a couple of tackles in the backfield on Jackson that would have resulted in a loss of yards, but instead he stiffed armed him and he got back to the LOS. Other than than, really nothing. There were times when Jackson was grabbed by the ankles and fell forward for extra yardage, but that's expected.

I remember Vilma knocking the snot out of Jackson a few times.

I see some improvement but Saint teams have a history of not getting the rudiments of tackling. We've been run over, around and through for years. Glad to see some change.

Holding Jackson under 100 is pretty good. I thought for sure he was going to have a big day against yall.

Jackson's a pretty good back. Remember those guys are paid lots of money, too.

The difference in rush defense this year vs. last year isn't so much tackling fundamentals. It's a more aggressive, pursuit-oriented defense that gets more guys to the ball. Now when a tackle is slipped, it doesn't result in a huge gain because there's other players in proximity to clean up. That's why our run defense is improved.

Tackles will be broken... this is the NFL. What you don't want is lots of missed open-field tackles, poor effort, or fundamentally flawed technique. Again, the difference is "population around the ball" (as GW says)... not tackling fundamentals (all of our guys are pretty good in this department).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom