Saints Saints TE Coach (Dan Campbell) gushes over Adam Trautman ("...he can do it all")! (1 Viewer)

You can make a really good argument that either Gates or Gonzales is the GOAT. But what puts Witten over the top for me is he maybe the best blocking TE of all time. The others are not even close in terms of catches/TD's and yards, I mean some of them have less than half of what Witten had. I know they played in different eras but still, Witten's longevity is another reason I think he is the best. It's also why Gates and Gonzales should be considered the best....

And I'm a Cowboy hater.....

Witten cracks the list at #5 on this one:

Ranker has Witten at #2:

NFL Films has Witten at #7:

Big Lead has Witten at #10:

Top-Tens has Witten at #4:

:gosaints:

I‘m excited about Trautman but we need to pump the brakes on the comparisons. Here’s why -

George Kittle 6’ 4’ 247 lb 4.52/40
Jimmy Graham 6’ 6” 265 lb 4.56/40
Jared Cook 6’ 5” 248 lb 4.49/40
Adam Trautman 6’ 5” 253 lb 4.80/40
And just for fun -
Terron Armstead 6’ 5” 304lb 4.71/40

I do think Trautman will contribute this next season but these comparisons with other TEs are getting out of hand. Our LT is faster (and not just by a little bit) than the guy.

Now compare 3 cone times.
I‘m excited about Trautman but we need to pump the brakes on the comparisons. Here’s why -

And just for fun -

I do think Trautman will contribute this next season but these comparisons with other TEs are getting out of hand. Our LT is faster (and not just by a little bit) than the guy.

And just for fun -

Early on in the draft process, Adam Trautman is our top tight end prospect. He was terrific all week in practices leading up to the Reese's Senior Bowl, showing great hands, route running, body control, and agility for his size, and he stood out on Thursday as well. Trautman (6-foot-5, 255-pounds) had by far the best three-cone time, finishing the drill in 6.78 seconds. That is the fifth-fastest time of any tight end since 2006, and he was the only tight end this year who ran faster than 7.00 seconds in the drill.

WHY IS THE 3-CONE DRILL IMPORTANT?

Ankle flexibility, explosiveness and overall fluidity of movement are all critical parts of the three-cone drill, which is another key measurement for receivers, defensive backs and even outside linebackers.

:gosaints:

I hope he turns out to be a good player. I doubt he’ll make a huge, immediate impact. With Cook, anyway, he won’t be forced to. He’s got plenty of time to learn and develop. I could see him getting some snaps if he picks up the playbook quickly.

I mean, he came from Dayton. I doubt he had enough time to properly work on his 40. I bet if he got a chance to run again at a pro day or private workout, he would've run much better.

I've heard that almost all combine participants spend time with track athletes and coaches before the event training to run the 40. And that the hardest part is the initial take off, where they blast out of a track sprinter stance. So I could see a TE from a small school being less prepared for the underwear olympics than other participants.

That being said, I've always wondered why they do it that way. Why not have the player line up (3 point stance, 2 point stance) like they normally do for their position, wearing game cleats, and at least a helmet? In fact, I'd like to see them at least wear a helmet for most drills. Make it more about football and less like track and field.

Just me wasting my 2 cents...

Somewhere, I read that he straightened up too quickly when he ran his 40. That's the first thing you are taught not to do when running sprints. At least that's what I was taught 58 years ago. :hihi:

Now compare 3 cone times.

Exactly why he was drafted so high for a small school guy. Straight line speed (40 times) is the most overrated, overhyped measureable there is. There are still folks out there that don't know the difference between speed and quickness. 3 cone time is a way more important. Hope he makes the team and becomes a contributor....

Let's play make believe for a moment. Let's pretend that Adam Trautman comes in as a rookie and he's no George Kittle but he's no bum either. Let's say he's average to above average in the passing game. That would just be the cherry on top of the best collection of receiving weapons the Saints have ever had.

The amount of talent on this offense is pretty incredible when you think about it. When you factor in the QB, the weapons, and the O Line, few offenses have been so complete.

Let's play make believe for a moment. Let's pretend that Adam Trautman comes in as a rookie and he's no George Kittle but he's no bum either. Let's say he's average to above average in the passing game. That would just be the cherry on top of the best collection of receiving weapons the Saints have ever had.

The amount of talent on this offense is pretty incredible when you think about it. When you factor in the QB, the weapons, and the O Line, few offenses have been so complete.
Yep. If Trautman can just be a truly capable, pretty well-rounded TE, this offense will be so much more difficult to defend. Being able to play with the bigger two-TE packages makes me salivate, given the wealth of underneath/screen/play action targets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom