Saints Saints TE Coach (Dan Campbell) gushes over Adam Trautman ("...he can do it all")! (1 Viewer)

Yep. If Trautman can just be a truly capable, pretty well-rounded TE, this offense will be so much more difficult to defend. Being able to play with the bigger two-TE packages makes me salivate, given the wealth of underneath/screen/play action targets.

It's interesting to think about the possibilities with two capable receiving TEs. SP has shown that he likes two tight sets but mainly for blocking.

I liked what the Eagles were able to do last year with Ertz and Goedert. Maybe SP like it too.

I‘m excited about Trautman but we need to pump the brakes on the comparisons. Here’s why -

George Kittle 6’ 4’ 247 lb 4.52/40
Jimmy Graham 6’ 6” 265 lb 4.56/40
Jared Cook 6’ 5” 248 lb 4.49/40
Adam Trautman 6’ 5” 253 lb 4.80/40
And just for fun -
Terron Armstead 6’ 5” 304lb 4.71/40

I do think Trautman will contribute this next season but these comparisons with other TEs are getting out of hand. Our LT is faster (and not just by a little bit) than the guy.

40 times are so crazy.....

If two guys race for 40 yards, and at the finish line 1 guy is .28 seconds faster than the other guy....
That’s a 1/4 of a second.

Could the eye actually see less a 1/4 of a second???

That’s the difference between Kittle and Traut.

40 times are so crazy.....

If two guys race for 40 yards, and at the finish line 1 guy is .28 seconds faster than the other guy....
That’s a 1/4 of a second.

Could the eye actually see less a 1/4 of a second???

That’s the difference between Kittle and Traut.
It actually is significant. A guy running a 40 in 4.52 compared to 4.8 (if the speed is consistent) will cover about an extra half yard per second. So in 5 seconds of running, lets pretend its run after the catch on an inside seem route or something, will be 2.5 yards further down field. That could easily be the difference between a score or 1st down.

I have big hopes for Trautman bc I'm sure he will be able to improve on these things once he moves from Dayton Flyers to NFL trainers, but what the human eye can perceive and what determines wins in a game of inches are 2 very different things.

Because there were no pro days this year nobody got a chance to improve on their 40, Jamal Adams ran 4.56 at the combine and then runs 4.33 at his pro day. So who knows what he might’ve ran if he had a do over.

I‘m excited about Trautman but we need to pump the brakes on the comparisons. Here’s why -

And just for fun -

I do think Trautman will contribute this next season but these comparisons with other TEs are getting out of hand. Our LT is faster (and not just by a little bit) than the guy.

So you're basing your entire opinion on 40 times? That's the only metric you go by? No other drills, no tape, just running fast in a straight line? Obviously it's too soon to be comparing him to the best TEs in football but not because he ran a bad 40 lol.

Trautman isn't great at running really fast in a straight line for 40 yards but his short area quickness numbers compare favorably to just about anyone. In SP's offense short area quickness is more valuable than pure speed for a TE.

WHY IS THE 3-CONE DRILL IMPORTANT?

Ankle flexibility, explosiveness and overall fluidity of movement are all critical parts of the three-cone drill, which is another key measurement for receivers, defensive backs and even outside linebackers.

:gosaints:

Adam's solid 3 cone time is quite possibly one of the reasons why he seems to separate from the defender.

Makes sense.

And just for fun -

That's it? that's your argument. So he was comparable up until the 40 time and that's where or why he does not compare? did you even bother to watch the tape?

And just for fun -

His form in the 40 was terrible. I think on the field he's around mid 4.5. There's a few things you can do to shave off a few tenths in the 40 which does nothing for actual football speed, which is why there's the term workout warrior.

Kyle Rudolph is a good te and he ran a 4.83 which would mean closer to 4.9 at a combine.

Zach Ertz ran a 4.76 and Is one of the few tight ends to crack 1k. Others have mentioned 3 cone times and I think that's a better measure for tight ends and even wideouts.

Plays rarely go over 40 yards in the NFL. Look at Julio Jones one of the best deep threats, he gets around 3 plays over 40 yards a season.

Kittles biggest play last year came on busted coverage. Most of his yards after the catch come by being physical and smaller DBs can't take him down. What gets him open is short area quickness and scheme. Alot of it is just finding the hole in zone plus he's an excellent blocker so he's able to sneak out at times.

Cook's biggest play last year came from pushing down a db and great downfield blocking moreso than pure straight line speed

I don't expect big things this year from Trautman because of the transition from a small school but he should be a consistent 5 to 700 yard tight end....but I wouldn't be surprised if he does more in the future

Last edited:
Payton will likely create a package of plays that include Trautman, and he’ll see the field in those sets as a rookie. The limited/crazy offseason is going to effect all of the rookies this year league-wide.

40 times are pretty useless. I still don't understand why they don't run the speed drills in full pads. Track speed and actual football game speed are two very different things.
absolutely agree. also if you're training with a track coach to improve your start out of sprinting blocks, you're hacking the combine and not really improving as a football player.

People keep forgetting to list Taysom Hill. That's how loaded this offense is. One of the most dangerous weapons in football and he's not even mentioned.
He didn't mention Brees either, so maybe Hill is a given now.

It actually is significant. A guy running a 40 in 4.52 compared to 4.8 (if the speed is consistent) will cover about an extra half yard per second. So in 5 seconds of running, lets pretend its run after the catch on an inside seem route or something, will be 2.5 yards further down field. That could easily be the difference between a score or 1st down.

I have big hopes for Trautman bc I'm sure he will be able to improve on these things once he moves from Dayton Flyers to NFL trainers, but what the human eye can perceive and what determines wins in a game of inches are 2 very different things.

LOL, because everyone runs in straight lines in a game.

----

He didn't mention Brees either, so maybe Hill is a given now.

LOL, because everyone runs in straight lines in a game.

----
Thats why I specifically mentioned the seem route bc it's basically the only time a TE's route is sorta straight. And no need to get defensive either either bc we all want Trautman to ball out, but you specifically said that its unnoticeable to the eye and therefore relatively insignificant. I showed you w very simple math how it isn't.

Longer passing plays, where receivers (TEs included) are trying to get as deep as possible as fast as possible, are about 5 seconds long, so therefore, this is actually relative info. 2.5 more yards of separation or when taking an angle to run away from a LB can make the difference btw a catch or an int, a 4th down or 1st down, a TD or a FG.

Thats why I specifically mentioned the seem route bc it's basically the only time a TE's route is sorta straight. And no need to get defensive either either bc we all want Trautman to ball out, but you specifically said that its unnoticeable to the eye and therefore relatively insignificant. I showed you w very simple math how it isn't.

Longer passing plays, where receivers (TEs included) are trying to get as deep as possible as fast as possible, are about 5 seconds long, so therefore, this is actually relative info. 2.5 more yards of separation or when taking an angle to run away from a LB can make the difference btw a catch or an int, a 4th down or 1st down, a TD or a FG.
There are 0 instances of Cook running a 40 yard seam route last year. Lots of routes that relied on short area quickness though, which the 3 cone drill is a good indicator of. Not many defenders run a faster 3 cone than Trautman. A few smaller corners that are faster in short areas, which if you go back to look at Jimmy Graham's highlights with us, many of his deep routes there were defenders with pretty good coverage on him, he just simply outmuscled them and Brees had the accuracy to put it to where only he could get it.

There are 0 instances of Kittle running a 40 yard seam route last year. His biggest play was 61 yards which came from the deep safety expecting him to cut to the outside instead of the inside. A 45 yard catch from all the linebackers biting on play action. A 39 yard play on us by being quick in short areas and the defender couldn't make the tackle. A 36 yard play against the Bengals because the db bit on play action stumbles when he realizes his mistake, still catches up but Kittle fought his way for 10 more yards. A 36 yarder against the Chargers another play action play freezing linebackers and exploiting a hole in coverage, literally nobody covering in a wide open space in the middle of the field. A 30 yarder against the Cardinals simply because 2 DBs couldn't bring him down, not by Kittle outrunning anyone. 29 yarder against the Panthers, the linebacker actually has good coverage on Kittle but for some reason releases him to the deep safety to cover someone that was already covered, the s could've made a play on it but completely missed. Those were his biggest plays last year and all came on mental errors, scheme and outmuscling defenders.

You say 5 seconds but the average play the ball needs to be out In under 2.7 seconds in the NFL. The 5 second plays are going to be play action and if the defense bites it'll be enough for him to gain seperation.

This is why I don't get the dissing of MT by other fans for tons of short plays. It's literally how our offense works. Even Julio doesn't have that many big plays a year (usually 3 plays over 40 yards a season) When the Falcons lost the Superbowl they tried to run too many slow developing pass plays instead of short and quick passes mixed with running and they lost a 28 to 3 lead

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom