Saints TE coach Dan Campbell is favorite for Lions HC job (1 Viewer)

This is a complete and utter Meh for me.

I don't understand this hire at all. Detroit fans cannot be happy.

This is a complete and utter Meh for me.

I don't understand this hire at all. Detroit fans cannot be happy.

Disagree. I think he's an outstanding hire. If you're looking at it as a TE coach going to head coach, you're wrong.

He's been Sean's assistant head coach since 2017. He's got outstanding leadership and culturally he's exactly what the Lions need.

I don't like the hiring if true. he's not an offensive or defensive coach, what is his philosophy?

Leadership.

Payton brought Campbell to New Orleans because of his leadership qualities. I think he will be a great coach.

What worries me right now, is the staff he will be building around him.

When a coach is hired, normally they know who will be the coordinators hired.

Right now, besides the championship, the longer we stay in the race, the least our staff will be raided.

Dan Campbell gone...
Jeff Ireland likely gone....
Terry Fontenot gone...
Dennis Allen could be gone....
Drew Brees gone....
90,000,000 over the cap....

Not going to be a cool offseason boys.
One important thing you left out................................................................Loomis is still here.

Nielson definitely looks like a future DC in short order. If he does go to the Lions...it would not surprise me in the least if he is their next DC. I honestly think that he is our most valuable position coach.

Jump from TE coach to Head Coach seems to be a bit of a leap.

But, when you have a successful team with a successful staff, opponents and other suitors will always come calling.

Exactly the point I made in my last post. A lot of fans around the NFL will view this like that, but he's so much more than a TE coach to this team. He's been assistant HC for 3-4 years and has served as interim HC before.

If they give him freedom to pick out his staff, and I don't see why they wouldn't, he should really change the culture in Detroit.

Disagree. I think he's an outstanding hire. If you're looking at it as a TE coach going to head coach, you're wrong.

He's been Sean's assistant head coach since 2017. He's got outstanding leadership and culturally he's exactly what the Lions need.

I guess it really depends on who is OC and DC are because he's being hired to be a head coach (leader of men) its just he has no clear offensive or defensive philosophy which makes the hire a strange one.

I guess it really depends on who is OC and DC are because he's being hired to be a head coach (leader of men) its just he has no clear offensive or defensive philosophy which makes the hire a strange one.

I think teams should look in that direction more often. So many times you'll see offensive minded and defensive minded head coaches fail trying to implement their system around players that may not fit.

It worked out for the Ravens with Harbaugh.

Nielson definitely looks like a future DC in short order. If he does go to the Lions...it would not surprise me in the least if he is their next DC. I honestly think that he is our most valuable position coach.
nah, he's a lock for the LSU gig.

Jump from TE coach to Head Coach seems to be a bit of a leap.

But, when you have a successful team with a successful staff, opponents and other suitors will always come calling.

The idea of selecting only coordinators for head coaching jobs is short-sighted. Same as looking only of scheme and philosophy.

John Harbaugh and Joe Judge were coaching tight ends.

Mike Tomlin was coaching the secondary unit. Mike Vrabel was a linebackers coach.
He has head coaching experience in Miami.

Dan Campbell? Besides coaching the tight ends, he is the assistant head coach of the Saints.

The most important qualities to look for the right coach are leadership, adaptability and smarts.

The right person should be able to lead men, to surround himself with the appropriate people and to be able ro react to changing situations.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom