Saints the leader for Asante Samuels? (1 Viewer)

Why does everyone call Samuel a Cover-2 corner? Can you tell me exactly what system the Patriots run? No, you can't, because they run all of them.. They mix things up so much that you can't really fit them in any one true "system".. They play man, they play zone.. They don't do just one thing..

Now, do I think Samuel benefited from the New England "system", whatever it may be? Yes, I do.. The confusing fronts and blitzes probably aided his INT stats.. But, he still had to make the plays.. I do, however, think he's a tad overrated.. I don't think he likes contact, just as Peter King mentioned in his article..

Would Samuel work for us? Possibly, but he won't do it all on his own.. All DBs need help from the front seven in getting pressure.. Our defense isn't a single bandaid away from being good, it's several..

I'm mixed on wanting Samuel (could he succeed in man-to-man scheme/would his play fall after big payday)...

But his contract demand is CRAZY, and I don't know if I would spend that much money on 1 player.

Especially since D-Hall told Payton he'd play for league minimum. lol

I am really uncomfortable with paying Samuel $10mil a year with a big contract... He may be as good as people, think, but I am worried that he is good, but has looked really good in a defense with a very good QB rushing D-line. Which we don't have.

But if we all of a sudden had two of the premier cover 2 DBs... why not switch to cover 2?

because for cover 2 you need a pass rush so the qb can't sit there and have 2 minutes to find the holes in the zone and get it to an open guy

Why does everyone call Samuel a Cover-2 corner? Can you tell me exactly what system the Patriots run? No, you can't, because they run all of them.. They mix things up so much that you can't really fit them in any one true "system".. They play man, they play zone.. They don't do just one thing..l..

Exactly, I dont get where everybody is coming up with this cover 2 stuff. That said, that is way too much money for him.

I posted this in another thread, but I feel it fits here as well. Peter King Article

Attachments

• peterkingArticle.JPG
    peterkingArticle.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 266
I hope we get him hell if we change to cover 2 and Jason David can start to play like he was supposed to then maybe its worth it.

PFW is now saying something else, but talks about us maybe drafting a CB at #10...

"10. New Orleans — We hear the Saints are desperate for a corner and are not willing to enter the extreme bidding for Samuel, thus making McKelvin, South Florida’s Mike Jenkins and Kansas’ Aqib Talib top considerations."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/WWHI/2008/wwhi2301.htm

I posted this in another thread, but I feel it fits here as well. Peter King Article

Thats very interesting. Thats why I like DT and LB as primary needs this year. We need to upgrade CB also i think Jason David is in the wrong profession personally because he can't cover anyone one on one.

Even if JD had a decent year last season we will still be in need of another corner. I don't like the idea of overpaying for Samuels or any other over-hyped corner. I see the Saints making a trade with their 3rd or 4th for vet hopefully.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom