Saints the leader for Asante Samuels? (1 Viewer)

Lets switch to a cover-2 then. Samuels is a good corner.

If we switch to the cover-2, overpaying for corners will be even more pointless. You don't need great CB's to excel in the cover-2.

you guys dont need to quote me on it, i'm not saying we would, but potentially signing two Cover 2 corners after one crashed and burned could only mean were switching to the cover 2 or we are really stupid....I dont think any corner is worth that kinda money and if he is i'd hope he was already as Saint, and not a guy we are signing because of what he did on another team, with different coaches, players and scheme...ya know?

i could post an article right now from SI.com and NFL.com that says the Eagles are the front runners with a 5 year - 55 million on the table..but i'm not going too, only because it has about as much validity as this post does...

Wait til Feb. 29th for all this guys.... no one knows anything until then, ALL SPECULATION..

i see this on alot of threads, why is it 100 % assumed we will play man to man next year? It was a failure and we seemed to have only one man to man db last year, so why shouldn't we be hoping that we switch away from man to man.

That's pretty easy to explain.. because your best corner excells at man coverage, and your safeties are weak in pass coverage. It's easier to replace one corner than to revamp your entire secondary to fit a new scheme.

Cover-2 also requires smaller linebackers that can drop quickly into pass coverage to cover that deep middle (since the safeties cover the top for the corners)... we lack any linebackers who can do that.

I agree with a lot of people on here that Samuel is a product of the system. There was even a big write up on CNNSI.com with Peter King about how his production dropped off towards the end of the year and teams making a push for him might be taking too big of a risk.....also said similar things about Hall and his attitude.

I understand these guys need to get paid, but 100Million? If the teams don't want to continue to pay these high salaries, then someone has to start denying these guys of this. I'm sorry, but we got burned on J. David and taking that kind of risk again with such a large contract is like Russian Roulette. I'd rather we go after a LB and DT in FA and concentrate on getting corners in the draft. The pressure up front will no doubt help our DB's our at least a little.

My wish is to offer Samuels a "decent" contract. If he bites, then so be it. We've done our part of being active and pursuing FA's and not leveraging our future on one guy. I'm pretty sure San Francisco is not happy after spending 80million and not seeing squat on their investment....again, check out MMQB and there is another write up on that. I think Peter King was in a bad mood this weekend and decided to take it out on CB's

Good news on Samuels.....I like this part about the Panthers too:

Speaking of the Panthers, they gave money to four suspect veterans while dumping some big-name talent. The word is that the Panthers have the most leader-less locker room in the NFL, and that's why they are talking about bringing back Moose Muhammad. Their biggest decision, however, will be whether or not to give Julius "I Don't Love Football" Peppers a $30 million signing bonus in the next year.

:beerchug:

Oh well... unless we get some heat on the QB we'll watch both Samuel and J. David get their lunches eaten...

If we switch to cover 2 watch out!!! Jason David becomes a viable CB and Samuel better than him. :mwink:

I heard that we are leading the Peyton Manning sweepstakes.

I'm mixed on wanting Samuel (could he succeed in man-to-man scheme/would his play fall after big payday)...

But his contract demand is CRAZY, and I don't know if I would spend that much money on 1 player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom