Saints To Release Byrd (1 Viewer)

Looks like a safety in the draft is coming. Perhaps our 1st pick. Could this be to resign for a cheaper price? DA seemed to use his better late last year and he looked good.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm kinda bummed. Hope it pencils out in terms of savings.

How much dead money vs how much cap with the cut

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"Trimming him as a post-June 1 cut makes a huge difference as opposed to cutting him now. Byrd would only draw $3.4 million in dead money and provide $7.8 million in cap savings if the Saints go that route. By parting ways with him now, the Saints would be out $8 million in dead money and only save $3.2 million"

How does one get designated as a post June 1 cut though?

This is unfortunate. I was hoping for a reduced contract and another year. Given our secondary's injury bug and use of three safety sets, we now have another big hole to fill, which we didn't need.

I hope this can be designated as a post June 1st cut. I know they changed the rules on this a few years ago, I'm just not familiar with the new rule. If not this doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

I don't get the move at all. You create a hole. You take on a bunch of dead money. And you get a measly 3m in cap relief, which couldn't even come close to buying you a safety to replace him with.

There's no payoff. If you want to get rid of him, you might as well let him play out this year and cut him next year when it costs you nothing to do so.

The only way this makes sense is if it's like the Evans situation and he comes back at a low rate, making his "dead money" not really dead as he'd be on the team.

Unless he's injured again, this is honestly stupid.
He finally turned a corner and balled out against the Bucs and just as he's performing well, like clock work we cut him and acquire more dead money.

Would have made a lot more sense to cut him next season.

Oh well, here's to watching him go to another team and be susscesful.
This is easily the worst free agent decision the current administration has made.

I don't get the move at all. You create a hole. You take on a bunch of dead money. And you get a measly 3m in cap relief, which couldn't even come close to buying you a safety to replace him with.

There's no payoff. If you want to get rid of him, you might as well let him play out this year and cut him next year when it costs you nothing to do so.

I think releasing on the first day of FA saves us more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom