Saints to Release Latavius Murray (1 Viewer)

WCoastSaintsFan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
He's a running back. A position that more than any other shows huge drop offs after 30 and he's on the wrong side of it. And he got straight up beat out by TJJ.

I appreciate that he played well for us last year, but I would love for the team to get into the habit of letting guys go a year too early rather than a year too late. This is one of those moves as I see it.

breesgirl

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Everybody is talking about Murray's decline. We saw a couple of carries in a pre-season game from a veteran player who has been very productive for us. In fact he's been a standout in his role.

We just can't afford him and there's a new shiny object for us to fantasize about who's talented and cheap.

I'm going to miss him.
WE saw a couple of Preseason carries. The team saw the games, practice reps AND film room work. There’s loads that the fans aren’t privy to. Apparently, LT was also getting cooked I. Practice to the point that several beat writers had him as a possible final cut. Latavius’s preseason play actually reminded me of Cooks’s in season play- dreadful and disinterested. I’m sure none of us want a Jared Cooks 2.0

whodatphil

/sarcasm and tacoes
Reaction score
Everybody is talking about Murray's decline. We saw a couple of carries in a pre-season game from a veteran player who has been very productive for us. In fact he's been a standout in his role.

We just can't afford him and there's a new shiny object for us to fantasize about who's talented and cheap.

I'm going to miss him.
Did we see all of otas training camp and practice like the rest of the coaches did? We saw like 5% of the whole picture lol

We’re the same ones that had to wait to a preseason game to see WR and LB aren’t necessarily weaknesses when Payton was saying that the whole time.

Reaction score
Love Murray as a person and am grateful for his contributions the past few seasons. But I didn't have a bunch of interest in seeing him as a Saints RB this year. Cost aside, he just looked spent, and he honestly looked like he was tailing off last season. He really relied on the OL creating craters for him to be productive...he rarely made his own play. For as big as he is...he doesn't break tackles. If he was currently on the Saints roster, I'm not sure I'd ever want him seeing the field unless either Kamara or TJJ were out or winded. You don't keep a 31 year old third string RB for $3 million on your roster as an insurance policy.

bigearl

Veteran
Reaction score
Wonder if this means TH gets more looks at RB. Maybe in short yardage situations. Does TH become our "bruiser?"

Reaction score
Whatever. At worst, he was an extremely serviceable backup. Hard to imagine you would pick up someone for that role and expect better than a 4.5 yard average. Having said that, I’m all in on rolling with the youth.
I agree. I'm willing to trust SP, But I hear where your coming from

BryanD

Gettin Closer
Reaction score
I was just sitting here reading the messages and wondered how many times did Drew Brees take a pay cut to help the team.

Unfortunately, I watched LM not seem to run as hard as he had in the past. Maybe he had already seen the writing on the wall as to what his true chances were and didn't give it his all.

Giving your all is what differentiates the champions from the mundane.

The next few days and weeks will tell what LM's real value is in the league.

I'm sure, in the end, he'll make the best decision for his career.

We are thankful for the hard work and professionalism he has displayed over the last 2 years with us but all good things do eventually come to an end.

It sickens me have to read the reactions by the media that try to paint the Saints as villains in the matter when it seems obvious to me they gave LM every opportunity to perform this offseason.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's makes me very sad.
Football is a rough sport on & off the field. I just hope that the logistics of the Saints' 'tactic' is understood by all... though I seriously doubt it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom