Saints to Release Latavius Murray (1 Viewer)

BreesusSaves

MAAAARK INGRAM
Reaction score
know let me say this without getting jumped on but if he didn't fumble in the first drive of the first preseason game and we scored, who how that would have affected the qb situation. but for the record i'm down with team winston! and i'd rather have taysom playing multi roles

I would say the fumble had nothing to do with it. That first pre-season game was just an overall disaster by the offense. If there was a single play that got Murray cut, it was his absolutely botched screen pass against the Jaguars where he showed no vision and ran with the energy of a graveyard.

Reaction score
I would say the fumble had nothing to do with it. That first pre-season game was just an overall disaster by the offense. If there was a single play that got Murray cut, it was his absolutely botched screen pass against the Jaguars where he showed no vision and ran with the energy of a graveyard.
It was weird considering he had been such a good safety valve in the playoffs. It was like the man hit a wall physically.

BreesusSaves

MAAAARK INGRAM
Reaction score
It was weird considering he had been such a good safety valve in the playoffs. It was like the man hit a wall physically.

It is why everyone is terrified of signing RBs near, at, or past the age of 30. Typically the wheels come off and it isn't a gentle decline, it is all four tires blowing out at the same time.

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score
One big problem with Shannon's proclamation that the Saints did him dirty: Jackrabbit came the closest I've ever seen to gushing about how the Saints treat their players, especially seasoned veterans. Likely they've got a move in the works and they need to free up cap space and Murray's probably the easiest cap space to shave. They asked him to take a pay cut and he refused, with Murray knowing what the consequences would be. It's a business.
I agree with this assessment. I also think there are some other factors in play as well. Murray is definitely at the age where you see significant drop off at RB. Also, it’s widely believed that the running back position is, by far, the most “plug and go” of all NFL positions ( see Montgomery’s 100 yd rushing game last year).

I believe they do have something on the horizon (possibly extending Latt) - wanted to clear a little room, Murray is a prideful guy who sees a diminished role with his diminished salary offer and declined the pay cut and forced the teams hand to get him out of here.

It’s the right move because you just can’t hold on to a RB and tie up salary when they hit that wall.

Optimistic Ozzy

Bleeder of Black and Gold
Reaction score
He had definitely lost a step. I had no issue with him being cut.

Reaction score
[TJJ break off big run after big run]

Payton: “Well at least Murray can consistently churn out short yardage.”

[Murray consistently get stopped for 0-2 yards]

Payton: “Well at least Murray can pass block better.”

[Murray whiffs on his block and TJJ completely annihilates every blitzer heading his way]

Payton: “Man...this is getting more difficult. But at least Murray has been very consistent with ball security.”

[Murray coughs up a fumble]

Payton: “I give up.”

Shannon Sharpe: “It’s a conspiracy! Trying to take advantage of him! Holding the man down!”

Deuuuuce

So much 4 being rusty
Reaction score
I think the Saints did him dirty. How come when a player asks for a trade or wants more money he’s a cancer but when a team cuts a player under contract or asks them to take a paycut “it’s just business”? Interesting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the Saints did him dirty. How come when a player asks for a trade or wants more money he’s a cancer but when a team cuts a player under contract or asks them to take a paycut “it’s just business”. Interesting.
The contract is the guaranteed money. Murray agreed to the contract...and the Saints would have paid him this year if he wasn’t awful this offseason.

sainthood

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
There is no dirty in the NFL. There is only business. Any player or coach thinking otherwise is delusional about what the league and America are.

JackDiesel

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That works both ways though. What if a player outperforms his contract?

Then sign a shorter contract or an incentive laden one. That's what Jameis Winston did and it should pay off nicely for him as long as he performs. Not like the players don't have options, they just chose the guaranteed money one.

Reaction score
We currently have $10 million in cap space... What we do? Get a player? Extend Lattimore?
..or better yet we roll it into next seasons cap. Loomis has a lot of money to find in the next off season, I'm ok with us bargain shopping this year.

Exactly why I've been expecting this move for a while. Can't pay a #3 rb this kinda money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom