Saints to Release Latavius Murray (1 Viewer)

I own Barkley and Kamara in a dynasty league. I dropped Booker for TJJ weeks ago. Ultimately...TJJ has the potential to be very good and Booker is likely no better than a borderline flex guy if Barkley is out. But I had Henderson and Ronald Jones as other options if Barkley can’t play. I’d only hold Booker if you would start him if Barkley was out
Yeah, that’s the only reason. The odds of Barkley going down with and injury is higher than him staying healthy. Booker had a solid enough season last year, that makes me believe that he can do some damage if he’s thrusted into the starting job.

I am fine after seeing Tony Jones in preseason be a viable second option. I think this move says more about what the Saints think about Tony Jones that it does about Murray. Our number two running back has to spell Kamara. We need all the cap dollars we can get if it means we can help this team at other positions like corner. Ty Montgomery can shift if need be at half back. We have a great offensive line. I am not worried at our number 2 back. I am more worried for when Lattimore gets his suspension. None of us will care who our second/third string running back is when we are struggling to find corners with any experience. After Richard Sherman had his domestic incident, I wonder how much that shifted the Saints plans at corner or if Sherman is an option mid season when the Saints see the Lattimore suspension coming?

I’ll throw a sleeper FA out there that I think would be a good fit… Former Panthers RB Reggie Bonnafon. He’s a former QB and WR at Louisville and is still relatively raw at RB… Great athlete and loads of versatility. Would come dirt cheap.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Saints could’ve asked Latavius Murray to take a pay cut in March. Probably expected he wouldn’t, but would’ve had options in FA. They ask him to take a pay cut 5 days b4 season starts. Thinking his bck is against the wall and would say yes. He says no and gets released. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DIRTY?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#DIRTY</a></p>&mdash; shannon sharpe (@ShannonSharpe) <a href="">September 7, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dirty? Maybe the Saints' brass didn't like what they saw in camp or the preseason, and then leveled with Murray: "You're welcome to stay, but at a lower rate." If he didn't want to take less cash, then so be it... but this doesn't smell like a nefarious move by Loomis and Payton.

I have always thought of Murray as an average back. In our dash to win a Super Bowl during Drew's twilight years as a player, we overpaid (as do most teams) in free agency. We overpaid Murray. This is not a Super Bowl year. It seems time to right the ship for a run in future years.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Saints could’ve asked Latavius Murray to take a pay cut in March. Probably expected he wouldn’t, but would’ve had options in FA. They ask him to take a pay cut 5 days b4 season starts. Thinking his bck is against the wall and would say yes. He says no and gets released. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DIRTY?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#DIRTY</a></p>&mdash; shannon sharpe (@ShannonSharpe) <a href="">September 7, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Or maybe the Saints had every intention to keep him until he looked awful and was beat like a drum
against a guy on a minimum salary in the preseason.

Wow... We kept him over Jack Rabbit, Brown, or Sanders is an unfortunate error.
Seeing as we seem to be looking for a DB every other day Jenkins was a huge loss. It's odd we didn't have a plan when we released him cause we've brought in like 5 or 6 DB's.

I never liked letting Sanders go but that one hurt a lot because of Thomas waiting so long for surgery.

As for Murray, I'm surprised.

Now let me say this without getting jumped on, but if Murray didn't fumble in the first drive of the first preseason game and we scored, would that have effected the qb situation. For the record i'm down with team winston! and i'd rather have taysom playing multi roles

Last edited:
I was all for signing Murray, but for a big back, he went down fairly easily. He was never as good of a power back as Ingram. Still, I thought he had value and I'd have used him more. But this year, if you couldn't see how slow he was, with a lack of burst, and vision (and seemingly a lack of effort). It was awful, I don't know how he made the final 53. He did us a favor by not taking the salary cut, as he was a waste of a roster spot. Murray isn't the first RB that fell off a cliff at 31. Not everyone can be a Frank Gore. We saved money, and we are better off without him. The truth hurts sometimes. Thank you for the last two years, but you can't beat father time.

I was a bit surprised at the timing of this. Under the old preseason format, after the second person game, you talk to a veteran you wanted to keep for less money and his agent and make an offer of cut after the third preseason game or pay cut. Usually if they refused the pay cut and egos didn't get involved, you would leave the offer open to be resigned after week 1 if they didn't find a better deal.

The deal may still be on the table for Murray after week 1, but this is not how Loomis's front office typically works. Maybe the 3 game preseason with the loss of game 3 messed things up but still, this is odd.

Maybe there's more to the story.

Not sure what kind of pay cut the Saints asked for... but no other team is giving him a multi-year million dollar contract. If he does get signed by another team, it's most likely a vet minimum deal (or incentive laden - which he'll never get as a backup RB). He's 31 years old and doesn't pay ST. It's time for both him and his agent to look in the mirror.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom