Saints to Release Latavius Murray (4 Viewers)

know let me say this without getting jumped on but if he didn't fumble in the first drive of the first preseason game and we scored, who how that would have affected the qb situation. but for the record i'm down with team winston! and i'd rather have taysom playing multi roles
I read this three times, and still have no clue.

One big problem with Shannon's proclamation that the Saints did him dirty: Jackrabbit came the closest I've ever seen to gushing about how the Saints treat their players, especially seasoned veterans. Likely they've got a move in the works and they need to free up cap space and Murray's probably the easiest cap space to shave. They asked him to take a pay cut and he refused, with Murray knowing what the consequences would be. It's a business.

I was all for signing Murray, but for a big back, he went down fairly easily. He was never as good of a power back as Ingram. Still, I thought he had value and I'd have used him more. But this year, if you couldn't see how slow he was, with a lack of burst, and vision (and seemingly a lack of effort). It was awful, I don't know how he made the final 53. He did us a favor by not taking the salary cut, as he was a waste of a roster spot. Murray isn't the first RB that fell off a cliff at 31. Not everyone can be a Frank Gore. We saved money, and we are better off without him. The truth hurts sometimes. Thank you for the last two years, but you can't beat father time.
He was the total opposite of what you just described.

Murray was a solid #2 back to the style of Kamara, Murray complimented him well. In short yardage a back that is 6"3 225lbs is not falling backwards, Murray consistently fell forward and had the speed to break off a few long runs.

Jones Jr has that Pierre Thomas feel and could be what Pierre was to Bush as a back that can run, catch and protect and take on a role as a rusher to give Kamara a rest and exploit more of his overall ability.

Necessary move but Murray did produce. Jones just got promoted and he looks to be a good addition to offense because he fits a position that's been carved out already.

Looks like our RB depth chart will be
RB1 - Kamara
RB2 - T. Jones Jr.
RB3/WR - Montgomery
RB4 - Washington

Montgomery probably will only be considered WR depth while Thomas is hurt. When Thomas comes back, the WRs are Thomas, Callaway, Smith, Harris, Humphrey, and Hogan. More than enough WRs that will revert Montgomery back to primarily RB on the depth chart, if he’s not already. There’s still 5 WRs without Thomas, and not including Montgomery. Cutting Murray sounds like Montgomery is a better 3rd RB.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Saints could’ve asked Latavius Murray to take a pay cut in March. Probably expected he wouldn’t, but would’ve had options in FA. They ask him to take a pay cut 5 days b4 season starts. Thinking his bck is against the wall and would say yes. He says no and gets released. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DIRTY?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#DIRTY</a></p>&mdash; shannon sharpe (@ShannonSharpe) <a href="">September 7, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well Shay… since you don’t pa much attention to the Saints I think it’s only right that you know that Murray got beat out by a 2nd year UDFA in AUGUST. It’s fun to speculate on what they could have done and what you think Murray was gonna say, but the fact is it’s STUPID to pay your 3rd string running back 4 million dollars.

Now tweet that.

Well Shay… since you don’t pa much attention to the Saints I think it’s only right that you know that Murray got beat out by a 2nd year UDFA in AUGUST. It’s fun to speculate on what they could have done and what you think Murray was gonna say, but the fact is it’s STUPID to pay your 3rd string running back 4 million dollars.

Now tweet that.
Very clueless, irresponsible tweet by Shannon Sharpe not realizing the younger second year RB Tony Jones outplayed Murray in TC and preseason, which made Murray expendable and costly as a backup RB. But these are the kind of sensationalized Undisputed takes Sharpe has to make the Saints look bad in media.

know let me say this without getting jumped on but if he didn't fumble in the first drive of the first preseason game and we scored, who how that would have affected the qb situation. but for the record i'm down with team winston! and i'd rather have taysom playing multi roles

I would say the fumble had nothing to do with it. That first pre-season game was just an overall disaster by the offense. If there was a single play that got Murray cut, it was his absolutely botched screen pass against the Jaguars where he showed no vision and ran with the energy of a graveyard.

I would say the fumble had nothing to do with it. That first pre-season game was just an overall disaster by the offense. If there was a single play that got Murray cut, it was his absolutely botched screen pass against the Jaguars where he showed no vision and ran with the energy of a graveyard.
It was weird considering he had been such a good safety valve in the playoffs. It was like the man hit a wall physically.

It was weird considering he had been such a good safety valve in the playoffs. It was like the man hit a wall physically.

It is why everyone is terrified of signing RBs near, at, or past the age of 30. Typically the wheels come off and it isn't a gentle decline, it is all four tires blowing out at the same time.

One big problem with Shannon's proclamation that the Saints did him dirty: Jackrabbit came the closest I've ever seen to gushing about how the Saints treat their players, especially seasoned veterans. Likely they've got a move in the works and they need to free up cap space and Murray's probably the easiest cap space to shave. They asked him to take a pay cut and he refused, with Murray knowing what the consequences would be. It's a business.
I agree with this assessment. I also think there are some other factors in play as well. Murray is definitely at the age where you see significant drop off at RB. Also, it’s widely believed that the running back position is, by far, the most “plug and go” of all NFL positions ( see Montgomery’s 100 yd rushing game last year).

I believe they do have something on the horizon (possibly extending Latt) - wanted to clear a little room, Murray is a prideful guy who sees a diminished role with his diminished salary offer and declined the pay cut and forced the teams hand to get him out of here.

It’s the right move because you just can’t hold on to a RB and tie up salary when they hit that wall.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom