Saints to sign Mario Edwards (1 Viewer)

Maybe. I don't see him as a dominant player on the edge. Great quickness inside though. He could if we needed him to, I just don't think he would produce much there.

Edwards apparently is very good against the run but not much of a pass rusher. I could see him taking some snaps as a base DE to give Jordan and Davenport some rest. One of the most important things that Okafor did on this defense was set the edge. I have nightmares about the number of times that RB were able to break big runs to the side opposite Jordan before Okafor got here.

I though the was a 4-3 DE at in college at FSU, but I could be recalling it wrong. Anyway, from his draft profile, Mayock seems to think he is very versatile and can play 4-3 DE or 3-Tech and play DE in a 3-4.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/mario-edwards,-jr.?id=2552445

Looks like a guy that needed some technique, motivation, and to get in better shape coming out of college. Not sure where he is now but Nielson is a very good DL coach so that gives me hope. Sounds like he is a guy that can already set the edge as a DE but isn't much of a pass rusher because of lack of technique.
Appreciate it. He's got the size and length to play DE for us so as long as we can really teach and refine the technique in him, he could eventually be a three down DE if needed. And his ability to slide inside as a 3-T certainly doesn't hurt either. As much as I liked Okafor and was happy with his performance so far, this guy is younger, less injury history and seems to be pretty hungry. I bet just switching from those past two franchises to the stability of the Saints locker room will do wonders for the guy in getting the best out of him.

Edwards apparently is very good against the run but not much of a pass rusher. I could see him taking some snaps as a base DE to give Jordan and Davenport some rest. One of the most important things that Okafor did on this defense was set the edge. I have nightmares about the number of times that RB were able to break big runs to the side opposite Jordan before Okafor got here.
Surprisingly, Davenport played the run well. I think we will be fine there. We need to add another rusher as I don't have much faith in Hendrickson.

Malcolm Brown replaces Davison. Mario Edward's backs up Rankins. We still need someone to replace Okafor. Just my opinion.
Onyemata is Ranks backup and Edwards and Brown will flip flop depending on down and distance bud.

Surprisingly, Davenport played the run well. I think we will be fine there. We need to add another rusher as I don't have much faith in Hendrickson.

I would like another rusher and Davenport did play the run well. I'm just saying that Edwards is a guy that you can put in on first and second down, not lose much in playing the run, in order to give a rest to Davenport and Jordan. Edward may develop as a pass rusher, but right now Davenport is the much better option for that. Anyway, this draft is supposed to be loaded with D-Line talent so we may be able to pick up an Edge rusher in the draft.

Edwards also can play DE in a 3 man front so it allows Allen to mix it up a bit if he wants to.

I just saw that the Pats released Adrian Clayborn too. He'll probably get picked up soon. I've always thought he was a good player.

Appreciate it. He's got the size and length to play DE for us so as long as we can really teach and refine the technique in him, he could eventually be a three down DE if needed. And his ability to slide inside as a 3-T certainly doesn't hurt either. As much as I liked Okafor and was happy with his performance so far, this guy is younger, less injury history and seems to be pretty hungry. I bet just switching from those past two franchises to the stability of the Saints locker room will do wonders for the guy in getting the best out of him.
Yes at FSU he was the de in a 4-3 system. Was always a huge de which many thought during his fsu hay day that he would be a dt in the nfl. If anybody is interested, go back and watch the fsu auburn natty as he balled out and plays with great leverage against the run. Him and Pj Williams helped fsu come back in that game as they both played lights out and made huge plays. As I mentioned in another thread he has the genes as his pops Mario Sr was a Cb at FSU and played in the pros as well albeit he was a 100 lbs lighter ?

We have Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson, and I think we still have Alex Jenkins (the kid on the PS) at DE, plus Mario can play both DE and DT. The draft is also full of talented DE's, maybe we get one late or wait until the cut dates and pick up someone.

I would like another rusher and Davenport did play the run well. I'm just saying that Edwards is a guy that you can put in on first and second down, not lose much in playing the run, in order to give a rest to Davenport and Jordan. Edward may develop as a pass rusher, but right now Davenport is the much better option for that. Anyway, this draft is supposed to be loaded with D-Line talent so we may be able to pick up an Edge rusher in the draft.

Edwards also can play DE in a 3 man front so it allows Allen to mix it up a bit if he wants to.
Yeah I think this will be one of the most versatile and athletic lines that we have had in a long time!

If the season started today, I think our D-line would look like this. We're still missing some pieces at the moment.

Cam----------------Cam
Rankins------------Edwards ( then eventually Onyemata... then eventually Rankins)
Davison------------Brown
Okafor--------------Davenport
Davenport---------???
Onyemata---------??? (then eventually Edwards... then eventually Onyemata)
Stallworth----------Stallworth
Hendrickson------Hendrickson or ???

Last edited:
Onyemata is Ranks backup and Edwards and Brown will flip flop depending on down and distance bud.
Edward's seem more athletic than a traditional 1 tech. I think we play him at 3 tech. Imo, we wouldn't sign two more 1 techs with Taylor stallworth on the roster. That wouldn't make sense. We need somebody to back up Rankins and play until Onyemata gets off his suspension. Hence the Edward's signing. He's 280lbs bro

Last edited:
I think we are done at DL now. Mario is probably a flex DE/DT. So we have.

DE - Jordan, Davenport, Edwards, Hendrickson
DT - Rankins (3t), Onyemata (3t), Edwards (3t), Brown (1t), Stallworth (1t)

Brown should be an upgrade at 1tech. Edwards is probably a downgrade at DE but Davenport should take more snaps. So he'll be more rotational than Okafor. Edwards flexing DE or DT would solve our problem pretty nicely. He can fill in early as DT and once our guys come back he can rotate at DE.

His cheap deal and letting Okafor walk for starting money shows it's the Davenport show now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom