Saints trade 7th round cond. pick to Dolphins for Chris McCain (1 Viewer)

I love this kind of move. A young player with fire and potential that is buried on a team deep at that position. Campbell is very familiar with him. If it doesn't pan out, it costs nothing.

If you're trying to say that this is definitive proof Campbell had something to do with this, that is a stretch. I'm not saying Campbell doesn't know about the guy. All this snippet says is he changed positions under Campbell and was inactive for at least three of the weeks Campbell was the interim coach, and that he may be active in the upcoming game when the article was written. Seems to me that he would have had him active more often if he thought so highly of him.

I was referring more to this quote in a article I read:
also sees Thursday night as a chance for the Dolphins to back interim coach Dan Campbell once again. McCain gave such a strong endorsement of Campbell he was then asked if he wanted to see Campbell stay as permanent coach.
“We have a head coach, in my eyes,” McCain said. “He’s a great coach. If he’s not here, he will be somewhere else, but he’s a great guy, great personality, great intensity, great everything. Just overall, he’s a great guy. I love him as a coach.”

Maybe Campbell had some praises for the kid and Payton admittedly talked about the pass rush so maybe Dan said let's take a look at someone we may be able to get on the cheap with some possible potential. I could be reaching tho.

Couple of thoughts.

It is a conditional seventh round pick for a guy who is talented enough to make an impact on a football team. He was only undrafted due to a pretty severe disagreement with Sonny Dykes that saw him dismissed from the Cal football team.

It was the fall of 2013, McCain’s junior year in college, and he already didn’t trust new California coach Sonny Dykes. The relationship got off to a rocky start when, shortly after being hired, Dykes told some of McCain’s close teammates to transfer because he wanted to recruit his own guys, according to McCain.

But the relationship hit a breaking point when McCain thought Dykes didn’t seem upset after a 39-point loss to Oregon in late September.

And so, he spoke up.

“He really didn’t say anything to us [after the game], just ‘Pack up and leave and let’s just get ready to go,’ ” McCain told the Miami Herald on Monday. “We didn’t feel like he was there for the team. I said something about that and my attitude came out about that.”

A day later, he was off the team. Dykes called McCain into his office. The conversation lasted 10 seconds.

I think we should part ways, McCain remembers Dykes saying. The university later announced McCain had been dismissed for conduct detrimental to the team.

Read more here: | Miami Herald

He really didn't like Sonny Dykes...

Ever since linebacker Chris McCain joined the Dolphins as a free agent, he has shown enough flashes to make you wonder why he wasn’t drafted.

Then you remember he was dismissed from the team at Cal. And that McCain admitted he wished he handled things differently, even while declining to ever specify what the problem was in September 2013.

Saturday, however, McCain went on the offensive, ripping coach Sonny Dykes and linebackers coach Garret Chachere via Twitter amid Cal’s admission of negligence in the 2014 death of player Ted Agu, who died after a strenuous workout with the team.

Chris McCain blasts Cal, coaches amid admission on player

He is talented, was a four star recruit and the tenth rated high school player in North Carolina. he took a prep year after high school, and seemed to struggle a bit to understand the Dolphins' playbook, which is odd considering he made it for three years at California.

But he has some pretty sick physical abilities, and can probably be used as an effective weapon by a coordinator who knows how to leverage him properly.

He played for a season with Dannell Ellerbe, and was there when Dan Campbell was the interim coach, so I'd assume any red flags would have been known before the trade went through.

Of course, he could completely flame out within the week. And he could balk at the playbook or at Allen or a position coach's style, but there's really no downside to this trade from the Saints' perspective. At least that I can imagine.

I love this kind of move. A young player with fire and potential that is buried on a team deep at that position. Campbell is very familiar with him. If it doesn't pan out, it costs nothing.
I agree.
Some people are just programmed to be negative.

We also don't know the conditions of the conditional pick unless I haven't seen it.

It could be some higher barrier like sack totals or snap counts. We've done deals like that several times before. They aren't always just based on making the roster.

Seems like a win/win.

Dolphins get a possible 7th rounder for a guy they were going to cut.

Saints get a chance to upgrade depth at one of the weaker positions on the team for the cost of a conditional 7th rounder.

Well, if this guy doesn't pan out, we keep our 7th round pick and draft this mystery Marcus guy. Maybe Marques Colston can give us some insight on him.

So what you are saying is McCain is a Markus. He might be a Colston or he might be a Murphy.

I think the odds are slim that he makes the cut but I feel that way about most 7th round picks so it bothers me not even if the risk isnt conditional.

I think we may have already hit our 10-to-1 once per decade bet this draft with Lasco.

So what you are saying is McCain is a Markus. He might be a Colston or he might be a Murphy.

I think the odds are slim that he makes the cut but I feel that way about most 7th round picks so it bothers me not even if the risk isnt conditional.

I think we may have already hit our 10-to-1 once per decade bet this draft with Lasco.

I originally felt that Ellerbe was more or less a throw in component of the Stills trade. The draft pick being the major component. Granted, Ellerbe has had injury issues, but what a surprising talent he turned out to be.

Opinions on throwing up only 10 reps?

We have strong players. What we seem to lack is fast ones. He appears to have enough speed to line him up wide on passing downs and let him affect the pocket from outside the tackle box, which is something the defense has lacked since Junior went nuts.

If you look at the physical measurements at his Pro Day, he is very similar to Randy Gregory at the combine.

Opinions on throwing up only 10 reps?
First thing I always want to know is how long are his arms. Guys with longer arms struggle with the bench press.

Second thing is what can he squat and what kind of vertical or standing long jump he has.

Truth be told, when is a player ever going to push against someone with their arms in the position of a bench press, with their arms at 90 degree angles with their lats? Almost never. Our most power comes in lifting when our arms are closest to our bodies. But benching looks cooler so...whatever.

Seems like we have the same type player in Edibali and Guacham. Should hve went after Leary with a draft trade and player. I dnt know what they see in McCain.

First thing I always want to know is how long are his arms. Guys with longer arms struggle with the bench press.

Second thing is what can he squat and what kind of vertical or standing long jump he has.

Truth be told, when is a player ever going to push against someone with their arms in the position of a bench press, with their arms at 90 degree angles with their lats? Almost never. Our most power comes in lifting when our arms are closest to our bodies. But benching looks cooler so...whatever.

Agree. Bench press probably tells you more about stamina than strength, but it's still a standard for the bigger positions. I always wondered why squat numbers aren't more important for linemen.

I think this is question could best be answered by Swimmer, but to me, bench works your pecs and triceps as well. When you are pushing off of someone, those are the main muscles are being used; along with others of course, your core and legs are going to come in to play as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom