Saints trade 7th round cond. pick to Dolphins for Chris McCain (1 Viewer)

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris McCain played at Cal in the same linebackingcorps as former Saints draft pick KhairiFortt.</p>&mdash; Jeff Duncan (@JeffDuncan_) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffDuncan_/status/770378282097254400">August 29, 2016</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:spit:

I wonder if he's any better than Gwachum.

6'5 236 good athleticism but only 10 reps back at his pro day. I hope we aren't giving up a pic for him. Maybe Murphy or another bottom of roster guy.

:spit:

I wonder if he's any better than Gwachum.

That was my first thought when I saw this story. He is less experienced competition for Gwacham and Edebali. Hard to see McCain making the team without injuries being in play. Doesn't bode well for Tull though.

I won't pretend to know anything about him, but I do know trades in the NFL aren't an every day occurrence so when a team gets aggressive and goes and gets someone they want it's usually a good sign.

So, they want to make sure they get him before the Dolphins release him. I don't see why anyone would criticize this move. Kikaha is on IR and Coach Payton himself drew attention to a lackluster performance in rushing the passer, so this fills out the roster at a position where depth is needed. Some of you seem to have difficulty understanding that it is possible for the Saints to be working on the offensive line issue while at the same time addressing other concerns.

Yeah you'd think we'd be looking to make a move for a Guard. Sometimes it feels like the FO is trolling Saints Report. We have needs along the O Line so they promptly make a move for fringe DE.

They are either trolling us, they are happy with what they have, or they are just too stubborn to admit there's a problem with the O Line.

I'm confused by this type of response -- you think a front office can only do one thing at a time, and it requires the entire attention of every staff member?

The time spent on this trade I guarantee won't prevent a trade or signing of a credible OG. They are literally unconnected. Sean Payton has talked extensively about his displeasure with OL; there's been public discussion of our pursuit of Ronald Leary. They aren't forsaking OG for a developmental DE/LB.

Regarding this trade, we can't judge because too early. Might be a conditional 7th rounder, might be for a player we plan to cut anyway. We might get him, in effect, for nothing -- a player we probably scouted and liked, or our front office has a reason to think has potential.

So, they want to make sure they get him before the Dolphins release him. I don't see why anyone would criticize this move. Kikaha is on IR and Coach Payton himself drew attention to a lackluster performance in rushing the passer, so this fills out the roster at a position where depth is needed. Some of you seem to have difficulty understanding that it is possible for the Saints to be working on the offensive line issue while at the same time addressing other concerns.

:plus-un2:

yea its not like they only have 1 phone.

This just in... "Saints acquire previously unknown DE in hopes of fixing their woeful offensive line...":smilielol:

Yea I have no idea who he is, but pass rush seems to be lacking, so make a move and get a player that you think will help. It's not like we can't still address oline if that is what we think we need...or not address other needs until if/when we get a lineman.

Post from the Dolphins forum:

If Mario Williams has been dogging it during preseason and can turn it around, then maybe. But so far Chris McCain has been our only pass rusher this preseason (I'm assuming Cam Wake will be back, but still). Either way that ain't good. What happens if Williams hasn't been dogging it and Cam gets injured? What is our secondary -- already a question mark -- going to look like then?

I realize that McCain's run contain has been suspect and that in the wide 9 outside run contain is more important than it is in a standard 4-3 but you should always find a way to keep guys who can rush the passer. Especially when the guys you're keeping him around for -- Jason Jones and/Andre Branch -- are so entirely "meh", neither doing things well or things poorly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom