Saints trade CJGJ to Philly (1 Viewer)

LOL, no point, wasn't trying to be cryptic. If there are tweets out there, I'd like to see them. And I'm seeing the same thing in that tweet--"One man isn't above the team"

Ah, okay. It's a weird situation and considering the amount of veteran leadership on the defense and experienced coaches, they decided to part ways. That says a lot.

Statistically, he wasn't great, but mentally, he would get under the skin of opposing teams. This is what I liked about him, but he still played the field well enough to get more from Philly. That is probably what makes it so surprising.
AFAIK, he hasn't gotten more from Philly. At least not yet. He may, though, if he proves himself at his new position. We'll have to watch and see. We do know that he'll be thrown into the fire immediately as Philly cut their starter from last year, Anthony Harris.

From a human perspective, I hope he can adapt to all the coming changes. As a Saints fan I couldn't care less how he does.

The Eagles received Gardner-Johnson and the Saints' 2025 seventh-round draft pick for a 2023 fifth-round draft pick and the latter of their two sixth-round draft picks in 2024.

Seriously? That is all we got and we gave away a pick? Wow....

We got what we could get from the team that would give it. I'm sure the Saints didn't turn down a 1st round pick so that they can get those coveted 5th and 6th rounders.

When you're ready to sell something that you no longer have any use for... you sell it for whatever you can get for it, and you sell it to whoever is willing to take it off your hands.

If the Saints had gotten that same offer from an AFC team I'm sure they would have accepted THAT offer instead of Philly's. At least I'm willing to the front office the benefit of the doubt.

I noticed this too.

I know this is off topic but I sometimes wonder that w/ Taysom. I get the feeling he isn’t that liked in the locker room, respected for what he can do on the field sure but I don’t know I always get the impression he and Drew were close but he’s not relatively close to anybody else off the field.
What makes you say this? Every time he makes a big pLAy, scores a TD, the players rally around him in great numbers in celebration. I think your view is not accurate. JMO.

We got what we could get from the team that would give it. I'm sure the Saints didn't turn down a 1st round pick so that they can get those coveted 5th and 6th rounders.

When you're ready to sell something that you no longer have any use for... you sell it for whatever you can get for it, and you sell it to whoever is willing to take it off your hands.

If the Saints had gotten that same offer from an AFC team I'm sure they would have accepted THAT offer instead of Philly's. At least I'm willing to the front office the benefit of the doubt.
I am quite sure, his music aspirations and the video he made, along with setting his own practice participation, did not help his situation, with Loomis and co. Loomis has the reputation of working things out with players, reasonably. Seemingly, CJGJ was not in the same realm as Loomis and co. and Loomis had to move him. He would have been a total distraction in the locker room this season. So Loomis got what he could get.

I never begrudge anyone form making making as much money as they can. But the way CJGJ was going about it, was not going to work in his favor as a Saints player. I wish him well in his quest to be paid the 13-14MM/year he wants, for a slot cover DB.

Occam's Razor on the CJ Gardner Johnson trade (the simplest answer is usually correct.)

What is the top quality CJ Gardner-Johnson is most known for throughout the NFL?
Getting under opponent's skin by running his mouth as a trash talker and doing petty stuff like pulling an opponent's mouth guard off his helmet and posing in front of Tom Brady. The man can ball but enjoys making a scene.

Occam's Razor would say CJ Gardner-Johnson was going to make a scene if he did not get paid. The Saints tried to negotiate a contract and were not willing to risk losing more valuable players to overpay CJ to shut him up and stop the risk of petty stuff.

Cost benefit analysis said cut your losses and prevent the negative. While the whole league and our fan base knows CJ Gardner-Johnson for just the 2022 season at $2.5 million is more valuable than a fifth round pick and cap space. What the Saints see is a locker room running mouth distraction with the caliber of oral weaponry wielded by this specific trash talker was an unacceptable risk to team success. They made this decision the second they signed Marcus Maye and doubled down on it when they drafted Alonte Taylor and renegotiated Bradley Roby's contract to make cap space.

CJG wants to play safety or at least wants to be paid like one, did the Eagles actually promise him that's where he'll play? It wasn't like he had control of where we dealt him and that was in consideration. If he doesn't pan out as a safety and gets moved into the nickel where he proved to be very good, how will that play out?

CJG wants to play safety or at least wants to be paid like one, did the Eagles actually promise him that's where he'll play? It wasn't like he had control of where we dealt him and that was in consideration. If he doesn't pan out as a safety and gets moved into the nickel where he proved to be very good, how will that play out?
I don't know what he was promised, if anything. But they cut their starter at S immediately after announcing the trade for CJGJ. That sure makes it seem like S is his intended position, and I don't think that Philly can afford for him to fail since they cut their natural fall back in starting S, Harris.

But if he can't hack it at S, that's going to be very, very interesting.

we are going to miss his swagger, yes we had QB problems last year, but if I remember correctly, we didn't win a game while he was hurt

I honestly don’t see this move working out for the Eagles anywhere even remotely close to how well it did when they got Malcolm Jenkins.
Honestly, I think this trade works out about as well for Ceedy as the Jimmy Graham trade to Seattle went for JG.
I hope you're right.

What makes you say this? Every time he makes a big pLAy, scores a TD, the players rally around him in great numbers in celebration. I think your view is not accurate. JMO.
That’s the thing I don’t see a lot of people rallying around him. It may be about two and that’s it. Also, whenever they walk out anywhere and we get snippets of it, he is always by himself. Could be he is just in a zone who knows but it has been on my mind last couple of years esp when he was trying to be the QB last year not many players rallied behind him but many were for Jameis to win the spot and they said it publicly too.

As I said I think they respect his play on the field.

And then there's this:
1661967908548.png

I noticed this too.

I know this is off topic but I sometimes wonder that w/ Taysom. I get the feeling he isn’t that liked in the locker room, respected for what he can do on the field sure but I don’t know I always get the impression he and Drew were close but he’s not relatively close to anybody else off the field.
Completely agree. I think Taysom seems to be a really good guy. I believe Sean’s affinity for him may have annoyed the locker room, to where he was seen as teacher’s pet. I don’t think he acts above any of the guys, but I could definitely see where he may not have a true connection with the rest of the team like he did with Drew. I also think he may be a bit introverted.

This is all my speculation, b/c I have no sources. Just spit balling.

I don’t think he was reaching on his take. During the QB competition, there was a marked difference in how the players spoke on Jameis compared to Taysom. That’s not to say they dislike Taysom, but maybe in the LOCKER ROOM setting they don’t jive with him like other players on the roster. If I’m recalling correctly, when asked about Jameis’s and Taysom’s personality differences, I think either Cam or AK said Taysom is sort of to himself.

You can be distant from a teammate yet still get fired up when he makes a play that helps the team win. Saints players could very well adore Taysom. However, I don’t believe it’s a stretch to think many players feel a way about how Sean put him on a pedestal(which wasn’t Taysom’s fault btw).

And then there's this:
1661967908548.png

I meaaaannnnn it’s Drew. A shorter list would be all the backup QB’s who haven’t spent a holiday or had a meal at his house. Drew was just a really great leader who opened himself up to his fellow QB’s and teammates. This is more so about the team in general and how IT SEEMS they connect or vibe with Taysom the man not the player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom