Saints trade for Kiko Alonso (1 Viewer)

Have you read the entire thread? There's an entire chapter on the merits, or lack thereof, for PFF ratings.
You don't have to put any stock into PFF. But pointing to his tackling stats isn't any better lol. The point is that on film and around the league, Kiko isn't considered a Demario Davis type stud at LB. Believe me, I hope he becomes one. We'd have one of the top LB duos in the league.

You don't have to put any stock into PFF. But pointing to his tackling stats isn't any better lol. The point is that on film and around the league, Kiko isn't considered a Demario Davis type stud at LB. Believe me, I hope he becomes one. We'd have one of the top LB duos in the league.
Cmon Man!

Demario Davis wasn't even considered a Demario Davis type stud around the league before last year. Nobody outside of Jets and Browns fans even knew who Demario Davis was. That's why the Jets traded him, traded for him back, then released him. He was still piling up the same kind of stats that Kiko has been getting. Once he came to the saints, with good coaching and good players around him and a good locker room, he became the stud player that everybody is raving about.

I see the same kind of upside for Kiko. And that's why I say he is an upgrade over everybody not Demario Davis and might rival DD by midseason for best LB on the team.

How is that a bad thing?

How is that a bad thing?

I don't think anyone has said getting Kiko was a bad deal. Everyone agrees it was a good to great trade. If he plays lights out it will be awesome.

The arguments have been about:

1. Will he take "starter" snaps from Klein and/or Anzalone?

2. If so, will that happen right away or will he have to get DA's system down and compete and earn it (absent injury of course)?

3. Should the reasonable expectation be that he will just be starter quality depth that can play all 3 LB position as needed?

4. Is his bottom of the league PFF rankng valid?

5. Does his $4 million salary mean he is coming in to take "starter" snaps?

6. Will he improve his pass coverage skills within the Saints system or just be a great situational thumper?

7. Do total tackles in a season equate to superior LB play?

8. Is Kiko as good now as Demario or will he get there in the Saints system?

9. Could anyone perform well in that hot mess that is the Miami Dolphins?

I'm sure in 27 pages I missed something, and there are arguments that might be solely for the sake of arguing, but I think that the above covers most of it. #executivesummary

I think it's a Win-Win-Win.

Win: He is much better than who we traded him for and it's not my money paying for him $4 million.

Win: At minimum he will provide starter quality depth and, perhaps more importantly, he will seriously compete for snaps with the guys in front of him on the depth chart. Competition will improve everyone's play.

Win: If he wins snaps by competing and outplaying Klein and/or Anzalone, then the defense will be better.

Last edited:
I would put Kiko in the Vilma style of LB. Not the fastest guy but very smart and instinctive. If he is the new Vilma then he will be a great contributor. Looking for this defense to be much improved.

The next Patrick Willis.

All jokes aside...I'm known to be negative around here, and I have expressed my concerns multiple times due to my worry for our front 7 on the defense. I'm always constantly trying to compare this team's pass rush to the Bears' pass rush and trying to figure out what is it they have that we don't (besides the obvious Mack Attack)...Because, I truly feel that if we generate that kind of QB pressure like Chicago's, then no team in the NFL can beat us.

Anyways, one thing for sure, is that, Kiko provides depth and can only help, not hurt this team. Though, I still don't believe it's an elite LB core. Maybe the team with the deepest depth at the position, but certainly not the best LB core.

Last edited:
If number of tackles does not mean much then l wish they would do stats on number of missed tackles, that would separate the wheat from the chaff for sure......just saying

This stat in a vacuum is worthless. A journeyman LB with elite DL and secondary can be assigned to react only to run and then flow unblocked to the ball carrier getting great numbers while being less than stellar.

A journeyman LB won't smear the runner all over the turf and make them hear footsteps. A journeyman LB will miss a lot of tackles and get caught out of position despite a simple scheme.

He is some combination of Willis and Vilma. And he is a great speaker.

I think he just makes us deeper and keeps the others on their toes. Its a great pickup. We don't have anyone in the group that is a bonafide stud. But as a group they are extremely solid. Our LBs won't be striking fear in a team but I don't think its a position we have to be concerned about anymore.

He is some combination of Willis and Vilma. And he is a great speaker.

I think he just makes us deeper and keeps the others on their toes. Its a great pickup. We don't have anyone in the group that is a bonafide stud. But as a group they are extremely solid. Our LBs won't be striking fear in a team but I don't think its a position we have to be concerned about anymore.

Kiko has the potential to be a slightly better version of Klein. If he is, we win.

I think Davis is the closest thing to a stud LB we've had in a long time. If he bests last season by even a little, then he's a stud.

The point is Anthony wasn't a good player, even as a rookie. Yet he still had over 100 tackles. There are a ton of examples of players not playing well and having 100 tackles. I do like his durability and knack for forcing turnovers. But he hasn't been a Demario Davis level player at all.
To be fair, Demario Davis wasn't a Demario Davis level player before he got here. He was a good MLB but now he's possibly one of the best in the league.

I think Davis is the closest thing to a stud LB we've had in a long time. If he bests last season by even a little, then he's a stud.
He certainly looks poised to be even better in his second year in the defense based on what we've heard and seen from camp and the little we've seen him play in the preseason.

I'd say he's a stud already based on last year alone. He elevated his game the same way the last MLB we got from the Jets did when he got here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom