Saints trading up a smokescreen? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I just want you guys opinions about rumors of us trading to move up to the number two spot in the draft. I have been listening to Sirius Blitz today and someone called in about the Saints potential trade up with the Rams and it sparked my interest. Is this really about us trading up to acquire Dorsey or is it to send a message to the giants about the Shockey deal?

I think the FO is exploring all options and this it is getting blown out of proportion. Right now it's just pure specualtion cause they have contacted the Rams informally.

I would be mad if the Saints FO didn't talk to everyone about every possibility. It's good to know what your options are. Just because they talk to someone doesn't mean it will happen, or necessarily that it's a "smokescreen" - it's jsut the FO doing the right thing by seeing what all of their available options are. Once they know every possibile route they can take they can make what they feel is the best decision for the franchise. Frankly I'd be mad if they came out and said "we're picking at 10 and that's that" having not explored any options. Now we may end up picking at 10 anyway, and that'll be great if that's our best option.

I dont think the Shockey trade or the possiblity of us moving up the Draft are smokescreens, I think we are looking at our options to get better as a team, and not just seeing where the chips may fall, by standing pat at #10...you gotta have more than one plan, and it looks like we do.

I think that the Saints and the rest of the NFL know that we need a real DT and I am sure that the Saints called the Rams about 2nd pick.

I think the reason that the Saints got outted is because the Rams want other people to get involved in the bidding and drive the price up.

......Dorsey and Ellis arent the only players worth drafting at DT....thats the only reason I dont wanna give up what it may take to get them...but if we did it...ofcourse I woudlnt be mad...

All we did was call and see if it was available, and what it would cost. A smokescreen would be someone in the org. leaking that it was almost a done deal.

I don't think it's a smokescreen. I think the Saints think Dorsey is a slightly better prospect than Ellis, and want to know what it would cost to get him. The Saints almost surely won't make this move. But it never hurts to ask. What if the Rams think Devery Henderson is the greatest WR prospect in the league and are willing to give up the #2 for him? Probably not, but you never know. It is worth looking into.

Remember, a few years ago a Washington team got a phone call from Mike Ditka offering an entire draft for one player. It happens.

I also think the Saints don't want to play against Dorsey twice a year. They may have been feeling the Rams out, knowing that if they pass on Dorsey the Falcons will snag him.

The next week leading into the draft will be filled with lots of "juicy" news... teams will lie like hell to force hands... so take everything you hear in the next week with a boulder (not a grain) of salt... and do like me... wait for the draft.

All we did was call and see if it was available, and what it would cost. A smokescreen would be someone in the org. leaking that it was almost a done deal.

So you were there, when the call was made?

How do you know that the phone call actually took place? You don't.

So yes, this story could be a smokescreen, none of us on this board know one way or another.

Ive BEEN saying we are going to trade up to get Dorsey or Ellis. Thats the ONLY reason I can see that we havent addressed our BIGGEST need in FA.

I dont even know why some people read news or rumors if they are going to think its all smokescreen and then add a possible reasoning behind it. I mean, maybe its smokescreen cause we are trading down...maybe cause we are trading for Lito. cant you just accept it for what it is. We need a DT BADLY and we are asking other teams what it would cost to do so. Is this really a surprise?

Now, I was looking at some other DTs in the draft. I like Laws and Moore. So maybe if we cannot land Dorsey or Ellis, one of these two might be an option in rd 2. but hopefully we will find a partner and not have to give up much. I dont think it will be the rams, but maybe the jets, pats or ravens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom