Saints trivia..... (1 Viewer)

Good guess but still not the third biggest shutout in franchise history.

We lost the opener to SF 34-33 and then rattled off 7 wins in a row, then split the next 4 before tanking our season with a 3 game losing streak. Beating ATL 10-6 (nice coincidence matching the score to our final record) in the finale was too little too late as we ended up at the bottom of a 3-team tie at 10-6 with LAR and SF both making it to the playoffs.

At least NYG also missed out at 10-6. The opening day loss to SF was the first full NFL game I ever watched and it was Bobby Hebert's only 4 TD game of his career.
I was hoping whoever answered it gave us some context to the season.

Nicely done.

Cant remember the year but we shutout Atlanta 38 to 0 in old Fulton County Stadium. My guess

Next question......of the Saints top 25 passing yardage games.....Drew holds 24 of them.

Who else has the single top 25 passing yardage game?

Next question......of the Saints top 25 passing yardage games.....Drew holds 24 of them.

Who else has the single top 25 passing yardage game?

Aaron Brooks with 441 against the (fittingly, for this week) Broncos in 2000. It was the franchise record at the time destroying Archie Manning's 377 yards he had in a 1980 game, the dawn of the "Aints" moniker.

Cant remember the year but we shutout Atlanta 38 to 0 in old Fulton County Stadium. My guess

Correct! It was our only meeting with them in 1987 cuz our one canceled game from the strike was what would've been the home game against them.

In the pouring rain.
I was there.
Absolutely glorious.

You're thinking of a different game. The only thing raining from the sky that day was ultraviolet rays.

Some trivia questions about Shutouts...

The Saints have been shutout 15 times in their history. In our 53 years in the league, have we shut out other teams more or less than 15 times? How many times?

How many times has Sean Payton shut out other teams as the Saints head coach?

Who was the first team the Saints ever shut out? Who was the last team to be shut out by the Saints?

Some bonus trivia: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers came into the league in 1976. In their first two seasons they were shut out 11 times. As most of you know their first win was in the Superdome in December of 1977 when they beat the Saints 33-14. But what you may not recall is that 4 of the 5 games prior to that milestone victory for them were shutout losses! In fact if you take out the 33 points they scored on us, they averaged just over 5 points a game during the '77 season. Knowing how inept the Bucs were made that loss particularly hard for us Saints fans to swallow. But the fact that we gave up three touchdowns to their defense (two Pick 6s and one fumble recovery in the endzone) just solidified the legend of how hopeless the Saints were back in the day. :covri:

The Saints have been shutout 15 times in their history. In our 53 years in the league, have we shut out other teams more or less than 15 times? How many times?

Who was the first team the Saints ever shut out? Who was the last team to be shut out by the Saints?

Some bonus trivia: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers came into the league in 1976. In their first two seasons they were shut out 11 times. As most of you know their first win was in the Superdome in December of 1977 when they beat the Saints 33-14. But what you may not recall is that 4 of the 5 games prior to that milestone victory for them were shutout losses! In fact if you take out the 33 points they scored on us, they averaged just over 5 points a game during the '77 season. Knowing how inept the Bucs were made that loss particularly hard for us Saints fans to swallow. But the fact that we gave up three touchdowns to their defense (two Pick 6s and one fumble recovery in the endzone) just solidified the legend of how hopeless the Saints were back in the day. :covri:

Nice stats, and true about how hopeless the team was for much of the first 20 years or so.

With the rules of the sport slanted so much toward the offense now, it's fairly difficult for even "good" defenses to pitch shutouts. You don't see them in the NFL nearly as much as when I was a kid. Have we even had one during Payton's time, win or loss?

We shut out 'other teams' less than 15 times since our inception. The total times is 13.

Our first shutout was against the Buffalo Bills in Tulane Stadium. I was there! It was even better because it was the same year that O.J. Simpson got his single season rushing record.

Sean Payton only shut out one team as the head coach of the Saints. It was against the Miami Dolphins. That was the last shutout for us back in 2017.
However, in 2012 when he was replaced by Aaron Kromer, the Saints had one shutout against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It was a 41-0 shellacking! :very-happy:

I don’t recall if the #3 shutout was posted. Was it 27-0 over Raiders?

Nah, that might be top 5 but not top 3. Our top 3 shutouts were already posted and are as follows:

42-0 Denver 1988
41-0 Tampa Bay 2012
38-0 Atlanta 1987

Last edited:
Our first shutout was against the Buffalo Bills in Tulane Stadium. I was there! It was even better because it was the same year that O.J. Simpson got his single season rushing record.

Sean Payton only shut out one team as the head coach of the Saints. It was against the Miami Dolphins. That was the last shutout for us back in 2017.
However, in 2012 when he was replaced by Aaron Kromer, the Saints had one shutout against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It was a 41-0 shellacking! :very-happy:

I remember the Buffalo game. It was Simpson's lowest rushing yards in a game that season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom