Saints trying move future picks to acquire another top 75 pick? (1 Viewer)

Brown had a really good interview with the Saints at the Combine.

I need to look at next year draft class. So, I don't feel strongly about it. I know this draft is way better than last year.

If they want Butler/Brown, I think they'll either have to package 62 with a 2020 pick, or trade their 2020 1st round pick.

If they decide not to do that, they can keep 62 and trade their 2020 2nd to go get one of those Wisconsin OL or a defensive player.

I just wonder if they think Brown/Butler are worth a 1st.

LOVEEEEEE Brown. I think he's an absolute steal in the second and could turn out to be the best WR of the class. Love his play style, frame, demeanor. Dude is a running back out there running precise routes and a beast after the catch. His passion and fiery attitude on the field would be a perfect fit here. I'd pee my pants if we get him without giving up the farm. Butler is fun to watch too, but I think Brown ends up being the more productive pro.

Training with the right people.

I know it’s a lofty comp, but that’s who Hakeem Butler reminds me of, Megatron Johnson. Not so much his straight line speed, but i think Butler’s size, catch radius, ability to consistently win combat catches & beat defenses attempts to scheme him out is on par w/Megatron.

What Hakeem does better than any one else in this draft, maybe even over that last few drafts, is running after the catch. For a dude that big to be able to break ankles, as well as tackles, is absolutely insane. If we managed to steal Butler at some point in the draft, WOW! I like N’Keal Harry, AJ Brown, Preston Williams & Debo a lot. But in my opinion, Hakeem Butler’s ceiling & floor in our O are higher than all those guys.

Would love to see that happen, but only if the player is ready to contribute NOW at a high level. We need a rookie playing like Kamara/Lattimore/Thomas on their rookie season.

The future is uncertain, with Brees aging, most of our core starters ending contracts within a year or two, it's definitely going to be worth it if it's our "missing piece", but otherwise this team might struggle within a couple of years.

Also, suppose we do sign Cook, what is our top draft need?

I'm not buying into WR. We had many factors affecting the WR position - Ginn was injured for a while, Meredith never got back to 100%, Trequan had difficulties in his rookie season but showed promising signs. I say this year might look very different with the same players.
Kirkwood and Carr might get some more snaps too, they can still improve.

TE is also no longer a desperate need, if Cook is with us.

I'd say OL is very important, and we also don't really have a DE backup outside of Hendrickson. Safety could use another backup as well. Most "openings" seems to be backup positions, so I guess the big question is, could we draft a player who would play at least 50% of the snaps in his position at a high level and drastically improve this team?

(with that being said, injuries are always something you must take into consideration)

Would love to see that happen, but only if the player is ready to contribute NOW at a high level. We need a rookie playing like Kamara/Lattimore/Thomas on their rookie season.

The future is uncertain, with Brees aging, most of our core starters ending contracts within a year or two, it's definitely going to be worth it if it's our "missing piece", but otherwise this team might struggle within a couple of years.

Also, suppose we do sign Cook, what is our top draft need?

I'm not buying into WR. We had many factors affecting the WR position - Ginn was injured for a while, Meredith never got back to 100%, Trequan had difficulties in his rookie season but showed promising signs. I say this year might look very different with the same players.
Kirkwood and Carr might get some more snaps too, they can still improve.

TE is also no longer a desperate need, if Cook is with us.

I'd say OL is very important, and we also don't really have a DE backup outside of Hendrickson. Safety could use another backup as well. Most "openings" seems to be backup positions, so I guess the big question is, could we draft a player who would play at least 50% of the snaps in his position at a high level and drastically improve this team?

(with that being said, injuries are always something you must take into consideration)
I'm not sure there is a player we could draft who would play 50% of the snaps without someone getting injured. WR is the only position I think is even possible. The value should be there in round 2 at WR as well. Makes a ton of sense to me, especially if there is a guy they have a conviction and envision a role for as a rookie.

I know it’s a lofty comp, but that’s who Hakeem Butler reminds me of, Megatron Johnson. Not so much his straight line speed, but i think Butler’s size, catch radius, ability to consistently win combat catches & beat defenses attempts to scheme him out is on par w/Megatron.

What Hakeem does better than any one else in this draft, maybe even over that last few drafts, is running after the catch. For a dude that big to be able to break ankles, as well as tackles, is absolutely insane. If we managed to steal Butler at some point in the draft, WOW! I like N’Keal Harry, AJ Brown, Preston Williams & Debo a lot. But in my opinion, Hakeem Butler’s ceiling & floor in our O are higher than all those guys.
But he has some problems with disciplined route running and drops. He has a ton of potential but is not close to Megatron coming out of college.

Tell Miami that we will give them our 1st and Third next year for their 2nd and 3rd this year and Quinn!

...and I can picture Miami's front office after getting this offer.

giphy.gif

I wish we could package our 5-7 round picks for a higher pick instead of trading up, and break the cycle of trading future picks for lower present picks. We only have room on the roster for a few new guys anyway, but we will need lots of good picks 2-3 years from now.
That would only net us a fourth . A lower end fourth at that

Walterfootball.com and nfldraftscout.com both have him rated as a late day 3 selection.

I’ve never seen him play, but his hype here seems to contradict national sites.
Butler is quite the physical specimen, but his route running blows. He beat up on smaller, less physically gifted DBs in the Big 10 last season. He was almost impossible to tackle and was good fighting for the ball. He's not going to be able to get away with that in the NFL. He is absolutely a Day2/3 pick and won't make much of an impact his first season.

Physicallym, he could be a faster Mike Thomas. Mentally, Mike is a whole other level than anyone. If he gets his routes down, improves his focus and gets in an offense that will take advantage of his size, he could be a monster. At the very least, he could be an effective red zone weapon his rookie year.

The Saints history shows that.
A. They move up in the draft to get their guy. Trading away future picks.
B. They sign big signing bonuses to stretch the cap hit over future years.
More of the same is what I expect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom