Saints UDFA interviews (2 Viewers)

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The Saints have started posting media availability interviews online. Here is what they have posted so far, along with a note from each interview I found interesting.

OG Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon: Final decision came down to the Saints and the Cowboys.

WR Marquez Callaway, Tennessee: It's Mar-KWEZ.

OT Adrian Magee, LSU: Saints were his only choice; things were said about him that some teams didn't like.

WR Juwan Johnson, Oregon: Came on strong recommendations of his brother George, who said we were the best organization he ever played for. Juwan attended our playoff game vs. the Panthers.

RB Tony Jones, Jr., Notre Dame: High school teammate and neighbor of Cesar Ruiz.

OT Darrin Paulo, Utah: Can play anywhere at tackle or guard and sees himself best at run blocking.

OG Jordan Steckler, Northern Illinois: Has played all five offensive line positions, including center in practice.

LB Joe Bachie, Michigan State: Decision came down to the Saints, Raiders, and Rams; Drew Brees fan growing up.

P Blake Gillikin, Penn State: In addition to playing with Tommy Stevens and Juwan Johnson, Saints assistant special teams coach Phil Galiano was his assistant special teams coach, and Saints special teams coach Darren Rizzi's daughters went to school with him.

CB Keith Washington, Jr., West Virginia: Grew up as a Saints fan; has family in Ville Platte and Baton Rouge.

DE Gus Cumberlander, Oregon: Ryan Nielsen tried to get him to come to NC State when he was there.

DT Malcolm Roach, Texas: Like his whole family, grew up a huge Saints fan, but has never been to a game. Didn't base decision to sign on that, though.

CB Tino Ellis, Maryland: Describes self as a physical, play-making corner who is eager to make an impact on special teams.

Last edited:
I like the way Calvin Throckmorton handled himself. Seems to be very intelligent and confident. I will be pulling for him to make our team. It seemed like he was talked up about in the third round.
I like Adrian McGee because we were able to see him in many games. Where the heck was he during his interview. He kept moving around, his voice kept going in and out. I hope he makes it. There will be a lot of competition on the OL this year.

Updated with interviews for all undrafted rookies.

On paper, Throckmartin & Bachie look like they have legit shots at making the final cuts. But quietly, the man i think will become the diamond of this UDFA class will be Keith Washington. He may be a bit light, thinly built & not the most physical guy vs the run, but Washington is a hawk & a very intelligent guy when it comes to coverage. He also has CB/S/DB versatility. I think when they put on the pads, Washington’s gonna fit in perfectly w/the DBs we already have on the roster. Washington’s my favorite UDFA by far.

Keith has a good shot. It will be interesting to see how camp goes without pre season games. All teams will have a better success rate at keeping players on practice squads with no pre season game footage for other teams to view.
Kid is a baller and can play multiple positions in the secondary. Coach loves multi position players.
I'd like to see wr Marquez Callaway make a strong showing as well.

I think Bachi is a lock. Kid just stands out and was always making plays at msu.
Blown away he wasn't drafted.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom