Saints UDFA Rookie Profile: Joe Bachie, LB (1 Viewer)

Downhill thumpers are a dying breed in today's NFL. Bachie is barely fast enough for ST, so his chances are slim. Unless his instincts are off the charts and he never misses a tackle, he won't make it.
His measurables were better than CJ Mosley and guys like Khalil Mack, Anthony Barr, Alec Ogletree, Benardrick McKinney tested similar. All the tackle leaders in 2019 outside of Kuechly and Wagner had similar measurables as Bachie. Lavonte David, Blake Martinez, Zach Cunningham, Jordan Hicks all in the 230 range and all had similar times in the 40, 3 cone drill and the shuttle

Wagner had a 10 yard split of 1.57 compared to Bachie's 1.59, except Wagner's was hand timed at a pro day which is usually off by a few. Even their 20 yard splits are similar. They had similar agility numbers as well. These measurables for a linebacker are more important than straight line speed over 40 yards

Last edited:
YEP. You never know.

See undrafted/unknown Corey Littleton from 2016 draft class.

Now look at him.

Littleton:

40-yard dash: 4.73 seconds
Vertical: 32 1/2 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 11 inches
Short shuttle: 4.39 seconds
3-cone: 7.01 seconds
Bench: 17 reps of 225 pounds

Bachie:

40-yard dash: 4.67 seconds
Vertical: 33 1/2 inches
Broad jump: 119 inches
Short shuttle: 4.34 seconds
3-cone: 6.93 seconds
Bench: 26 reps of 225 pounds

Stephon Anthony Checked off all the boxes of the athletism you wanted in your typical LB.
Dude didnt even have the marbles to play WLB.
Now he hardly cracks the ST lineup.

Of all the quotes to take from the article, people left out this paragraph. Which cannot be undervalued, which has the makings of a Cerebral Player.

Bachie plays with good strength and leverage at the point of attack and has underrated short-area athleticism. He has excellent instincts and flows to the ball decisively. His terrific play recognition allows him to read misdirection and fill cutback lanes against the run. He has high football intellect and is rarely caught out of position as a tackler. Bachie reads the quarterback well in zone coverage and shows excellent anticipation of the throw. That same anticipation makes him a lethal run defender, recognizing blocking schemes and beating opposing linemen to an area to make a play on the ball carrier.

I never heard of the guy, but that was a great article.

Basically states the dude isnt much of an athlete, but his ability to identify plays and high football IQ let him make a lot of impact plays in college.

I prefer that to REALLLY FAST players who keep going to the Wrong Places all of the time.

Ref: Haslett's defenders

Guys, being here in Michigan, I watched this kid play a good bit. Let me tell you, he plays with great heart and is a captain on the field. I never saw him as a liability on the field and I am a U of M fan. This kid can straight out bring it. Now, I am not saying he will make the team but I am saying don't discount him just yet.

I watched his game film vs Arizona St, which was every defensive play. His run fits are great, mostly because he diagnoses quickly and he's aggressive attacking the ball.

He was also active in the pass game. He deflected at least one pass and seemed to have a good idea where he was suppose to be in coverage. He also got some pressure on the QB on more than one occasion.

Scooby Wright was slower by over .2 in every single drill. Like I said in my previous post, this kids measurables are similar to many good starting linebackers and his tape looks good against top competition. I think we got a steal but everyone is quick to write him off because he just looks like the classic "high motor overachiever brings his lunchpale blah blah blah. " Daniel Sorensen ran the same time at 200 pounds yet it didn't seem to hinder him making key plays as a hybrid safety/linebacker his entire career

Last edited:
Suggs doesn't play faster. He was elite rushing the passer and playing the run, was basically a stand up DE most of the time and was rarely asked to cover. Amazing how a guy can put up great production in a major conference, look fast on tape and time well at the combine and still be considered slow. You just see a pale udfa and assume he's slow. He didnt fall in the draft because of a lack of athleticism, he fell because he was suspended for testing positive for a banned supplement in college his last year. Considering that they say up to 40 percent of NFL players could have used HGH at some point and many high profile players have gotten popped for banned supplements, I don't think it's that big of deal. I'm sure we did our homework and if it doesn't work out then we didn't waste any picks

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom