Saints UDFA Rookie Profile: Joe Bachie, LB (1 Viewer)

Yeah this is my favorite UDFA to come out and make the team. A lot of highly respected places had him as an early day 2 pick going into last season. I get why he fell, but he was still a top 150 prospect. He can play.

Downhill thumpers are a dying breed in today's NFL. Bachie is barely fast enough for ST, so his chances are slim. Unless his instincts are off the charts and he never misses a tackle, he won't make it.

With Anzalone having injuries every season and Alonso coming back from injury I think he either barely makes the roster or will be on the PS ready to be called up when Anzalone goes down again.

I never heard of the guy, but that was a great article.

Basically states the dude isnt much of an athlete, but his ability to identify plays and high football IQ let him make a lot of impact plays in college.

Our LBs are pretty injury prone and underwhelming outside of Davis. Getting Baun was key, but the truth is that we will probably need more than just Davis and Baun. The key is that Bachie needs to beat out Elliss, which is possible.

“Bachie dropped out of the draft in part because of his P.E.D. suspension, but also because he is viewed as an athletically limited inside linebacker with limited versatility. He doesn’t have the athleticism to match up with opponents in man coverage and lacks the speed to get outside to make a play. His lack of range allows opponents to get by him on the edge, and he doesn’t have a fluid change of direction in the open field.”

Lol, sounds like the total package. Tics all the boxes.

Our LBs are pretty injury prone and underwhelming outside of Davis. Getting Baun was key, but the truth is that we will probably need more than just Davis and Baun. The key is that Bachie needs to beat out Elliss, which is possible.

I know that injuries are part of football, and Thor & Kiko have had more than their share, but I'm still hoping for a healthy year for them (and all our players). If that happens, then we have a really really really nice set of LBs.

Davis never leaves the field.
Anzalone in two LB sets and actually could spell Davis in some one LB sets
Kiko at SAM and a back up for Thor
Baun backing up all 3 spots and can come in for sub-packages as a designated rusher
Robertson backing up all 3 spots as usual and special teams ace
Ellis or Bachie providing deep depth and special teams snaps.

I know that injuries are part of football, and Thor & Kiko have had more than their share, but I'm still hoping for a healthy year for them (and all our players). If that happens, then we have a really really really nice set of LBs.

Davis never leaves the field.
Anzalone in two LB sets and actually could spell Davis in some one LB sets
Kiko at SAM and a back up for Thor
Baun backing up all 3 spots and can come in for sub-packages as a designated rusher
Robertson backing up all 3 spots as usual and special teams ace
Ellis or Bachie providing deep depth and special teams snaps.

I'm less optimistic. I have very little confidence that either Alonzo or Thor will stay healthy. If they do...awesome. But you just can't rely upon either guy. I like Robertson, but boy did he look like he dropped off last year (at least as a LB). He doesn't have any athleticism any more, and he was never a great athlete to begin with.

“Bachie dropped out of the draft in part because of his P.E.D. suspension, but also because he is viewed as an athletically limited inside linebacker with limited versatility. He doesn’t have the athleticism to match up with opponents in man coverage and lacks the speed to get outside to make a play. His lack of range allows opponents to get by him on the edge, and he doesn’t have a fluid change of direction in the open field.”

Lol, sounds like the total package. Tics all the boxes.
Teo 2.0?
Better question is how does he compare to Teo?

Seeing a lot of people cite that he is some sort of limited athlete...I don't think that is so?

At 6'2" 235+ lbs his athletic profile seems more than fine:
"He is an aggressive presence in the middle of the field with quality run-and-chase speed who graded equally well against the run as pass. Bachie is a solid blitzer and surrendered just 7.0 yards per target in coverage. Bachie showed 26th percentile athleticism with 4.66 speed at the Combine."
"He drew plaudits for his initial 40 run from the NFL Network's broadcast, with Daniel Jeremiah calling it a "great run." Prior to that 40-yard sprint, the Michigan State linebacker recorded a vertical jump of 33.5 inches and a broad jump of 119 inches."

Older info going into last season:

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline called Michigan State senior LB Joe Blachie a "complete, three-down defender who combines instincts with a relentless attitude."

"He’s tough against the run, gets depth on pass drops and shows ability in pursuit," Pauline writes of the 6-foot-2, 238-pound Bachie. The analyst assigns Bachie a third-round grade heading into the fall campaign and notes that "[t]he faster he runs, the earlier he will be drafted." Speaking to Pauline's point on the senior's ability to clamp down on the run, PFF had him posting the top run-stop percentage of any returning Big Ten linebacker last season."

PFF ranks Michigan State senior LB Joe Bachie as the No. 43 college player of 2019.

"Bachie (6'2/238) is graded as one of the top run-defenders in the nation, but he also can rush the passer and can hold his own in pass coverage. Basically, he's one of the most well-rounded defenders in college."

Intangibles like being a 3 year captain of a solid Big10 defense might help too. His instincts really show up on film. There is no doubt he is more of a traditional Mike thumper, but to play the run as well as he did in the Big 10 is meaningful, lots of big O-Linemen peeling off and a host of high level backs. I think he is going to have a massive chip on his shoulder.

Too much talent for him to make the 53, IMO.
But he should make the practice squad.

Poor man's AJ Klein? Interestingly, scouts say similar things about each other's game.

Strengths
  • a three year starter that served as the leader
  • Active and instinctual linebacker
  • very intelligent and instinctual football player.
  • He reads his keys well, trusts what he sees, and very rarely takes false steps, or wastes motions.
  • Flashes quickness to the ball due to great hustle and immediate play recognition.
  • Scrapes adeptly, finding his way across the formation to stuff runs.
  • Uses his hands to swipe off oncoming blockers, and fight through traffic.
  • Takes on blocks well before shedding.
  • Stacks running backs in the hole, stops their momentum.
  • Does a good job getting proper depth in his drops, while never losing sight of the quarterback.

Weaknesses
  • Lacks elite straight-line and recovery speed.
  • Struggles to in man coverage.
  • Cannot consistently run down plays from the back side.
  • Inconsistent breaking down to make stops in space.
  • Lacks great flexibility to turn the corner as a pass rusher or adjust to elusive ballcarriers.

NFL Comparison
Scott Shanle :bowdown2: :ezbill:

Strengths
  • Three-year starter and team captain
  • Natural feel to shadow ball-carrier from second level
  • Recognizes play design and plays ahead of combo blocks
  • Turns shoulder to slip blocks or takes them on with pop in his gloves
  • Steps deeply into gap to constrict runner's options
  • Leverage and leg strength to fight through angle blocks
  • Rarely out of position as a tackler
  • Impressive ball production against the pass
  • Reads quarterback accurately and moves toward passing lane
Weaknesses
  • Suspended in second half of 2019 season due to positive PED test
  • Slow-twitch prospect lacking burst to close
  • Misses out on perimeter tackles due to range issues
  • Tightly bound with limited length
  • Below average reactive athleticism
  • Change of direction is heavy and ineffective
  • Can be targeted by opponents if asked to cover man

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom