Saints vs. Bucs Christmas Eve in the Dome - Travel Concerns? (1 Viewer)

DATMAN

Veteran
Reaction score
I know it's a bit early, but I'm thinking of bringing the family from the Lafayette area to the Saints/Bucs Christmas Eve game. With a 12:00 noon start, I'm concerned about traffic in general and am thinking of leaving around 4:30am. Under normal conditions, that would put me in Gretna about 6:30am.

With anticipated holiday, morning commute, and game day traffic, should I consider alternate route into the city and/or to the Dome (once in the city, I usually take I-10 to "Slidell" and take the Superdome/Poydras St. Exit)?

Just don't want hit any avoidable traffic tie ups giving the logistics involved. Any advice, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Only thing i can really recommend is going US90 -> I310 -> I10 instead of I10 straight across.

Basin is always a coin flip as to whether or not there will be an accident and interstate shutdown.

Baton Rouge always gets heavily, heavily bogged down during holiday travel days.

but if you leave that early. you'll likely dodge a lot of that traffic.

may be something to consider on the return trip as well.

Only thing i can really recommend is going US90 -> I310 -> I10 instead of I10 straight across.

Basin is always a coin flip as to whether or not there will be an accident and interstate shutdown.

Baton Rouge always gets heavily, heavily bogged down during holiday travel days.

but if you leave that early. you'll likely dodge a lot of that traffic.

may be something to consider on the return trip as well.

Thanks!

Depends if the salt trucks are able to get out on the Interstate before things get really dangerous. :hihi:

You expecting a White Christmas in NOLA? :giggles:

Haha, we actually had that problem for the day after Christmas game vs. the Falcons in 2004. Had to wait to cross the CCC because they were tossing salt and sand it.

:hihi:

I know it's a bit early, but I'm thinking of bringing the family from the Lafayette area to the Saints/Bucs Christmas Eve game. With a 12:00 noon start, I'm concerned about traffic in general and am thinking of leaving around 4:30am. Under normal conditions, that would put me in Gretna about 6:30am.

With anticipated holiday, morning commute, and game day traffic, should I consider alternate route into the city and/or to the Dome (once in the city, I usually take I-10 to "Slidell" and take the Superdome/Poydras St. Exit)?

Just don't want hit any avoidable traffic tie ups giving the logistics involved. Any advice, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I went for the Rams game, and granted, it was a busy weekend in NOLA with several large events, the traffic was the worst I have been in that I can remember. It was the "get home from Thankagiving" traffic. I will more than likely be going to the Tampa game as well and would second the alternate route as well as leaving early... I am in Lake Charles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is there a flex option for this week?

Yes, a flex is possible. I hope that's not the case. We'll be getting back to St. Landry Parish just before Papa Noel arrives. :scratch: Then again if there is a 3PM flex, we might be able to check out the levee bonfires on the way home.
:9:

I went for the Rams game, and granted, it was a busy weekend in NOLA with several large events, the traffic was the worst I have been in that I can remember. It was the "get home from Thankagiving" traffic. I will more than likely be going to the Tampa game as well and would second the alternate route as well as leaving early... I am in Lake Charles

Thanks for the perspective. :9:

Coming down myself, I plan to stay in Franklin area the night before with family and get up early and head to the city. I'm hoping this one doesn't get flexed that would make for a long night, but honestly I don't care. First game in the Dome for this Georgia boy and I'm freaking excited!

We were in Thanksgiving Sunday traffic as well coming back from Virginia.

We took the route I mentioned earlier after being stuck on i12 in Covington/Hammond and seeing the bleak outlook in Baton Rouge (something like a 50-70min delay per google maps at the time).

There was nearly no traffic all the way back to Lafayette on US90.

Is there a flex option for this week?

Yes, a flex is possible. I hope that's not the case. We'll be getting back to St. Landry Parish just before Papa Noel arrives. :scratch: Then again if there is a 3PM flex, we might be able to check out the levee bonfires on the way home.
:9:

I think the deadline for this game to be flexed already passed. If I'm remembering right, it has to be announced 12 days in advance of the respective game. Like our game in Tampa Bay next week was announced as being flexed to 3 p.m. early this week.

Only in Week 17 I think there is a smaller window announcing any possible flex games.

NFL Flexible Scheduling 101

• Begins Sunday of Week 5
  • In effect during Weeks 5-17
  • Up to 2 games may be flexed into Sunday Night between Weeks 5-10
  • Only Sunday afternoon games are subject to being moved into the Sunday night window.
  • The game that has been tentatively scheduled for Sunday night during flex weeks will be listed at 8:15 p.m. ET.
  • The majority of games on Sundays will be listed at 1:00 p.m. ET during flex weeks except for games played in Pacific or Mountain Time zones which will be listed at 4:05 or 4:15 p.m. ET.
  • No impact on Thursday, Saturday or Monday night games.
  • The NFL will decide (after consultation with CBS, FOX, NBC) and announce as early as possible the game being played at 8:15 p.m. ET. The announcement will come no later than 12 days prior to the game. The NFL may also announce games moving to 4:05 p.m. ET and 4:25 p.m. ET.
  • Week 17 start time changes could be decided on 6 days notice to ensure a game with playoff implications.
  • The NBC Sunday night time slot in "flex" weeks will list the game that has been tentatively scheduled for Sunday night.
  • Fans and ticket holders must be aware that NFL games in flex weeks are subject to change 12 days in advance (6 days in Week 17) and should plan accordingly.
  • NFL schedules all games.
  • Teams will be informed as soon as they are no longer under consideration or eligible for a move to Sunday night.
http://www.nfl.com/flexible-schedules

12/24 is a Saturday you, will not have commuter traffic and shopping is over by that point. Traffic should be nowhere near like Thanksgiving. Take the back way (Hwy90) and avoid BR.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom