Saints vs Dolphins: A battle for time of possession (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Miami leads the NFL with a whopping 35.29 minutes. The Saints are 5th with 33.51.

This will be the Dolphins game plan. 8 minute drives keeping Brees and Co. on the sideline. That's the only defense that may be effective vs Brees from here on out.

It will be an important point, but not the most important.

We can beat Miami even without finishing with the most time of possession. Turnovers and specially big plays can make the difference in our favour this week.

They can keep the ball all they want but eventually they're going to have to give it to our offense....who will then score points. If they can't keep up, we will simply out run them. Time of possession is just about the most meaningless stat of them all.

The Dolphins' attack is very slow and deliberate. Let them dominate the time of possession like they did against the Colts. Lot of good that did them.

Miami leads the NFL with a whopping 35.29 minutes. The Saints are 5th with 33.51.

This will be the Dolphins game plan. 8 minute drives keeping Brees and Co. on the sideline. That's the only defense that may be effective vs Brees from here on out.

I'll take our defense against Miami's defense any day of the week. GW will have the right game plan in place to stop the wild cat... Count on it.

From our offense's perspective, Miami will have an almost identical problem the Giants faced against us: The Dolphins are clearly over matched by the Saints in their secondary.

You don't take anything for granted, but I expect the Saints to do what we've seen them do best this year:

Respect an opponent's real strengths, and exploit their real weaknesses.

Finally, that Time of Possession stat for Miami is a little skewed because of their game against the Colts, where they had the ball for almost 45 minutes and still lost against a 'prolific offense'.. "prolific offense" - Sounds familiar?

Last edited:
It won't matter.

Their defense will have to stop us because by virtue of the offense they run they won't be able to keep up. The wildcat simply doesn't produce very many points and that, like the option read the Falcons ran in 2006, is the flaw in it.

They have a very suspect secondary and their front 7 doesn't scare me as much as the Giants did. I fully expect to be able to move the ball at will against them. Even Mark Sanchez picked them apart. Just wait until Drew Brees sees Sean Smith blowing assignments out there like he did on that Monday Night game.

I know everyone wants the next "big challenge" to pump up but I don't buy it. We win this game going away.

The Dolphins' attack is very slow and deliberate. Let them dominate the time of possession like they did against the Colts. Lot of good that did them.

Well that's my point.

I think a lot of Saints fans will expect a 41-17 game and will be surprised if it turns out more like 31-23, which is my prediction.

I just think we'll be kept off the field just enough to make this a lot closer game than most people anticipate.

I believe that Miami will have some success against us with the offense that they run, but I also believe that our D will adjust well, and our O will put up the points needed to win the game.

It won't matter.

Their defense will have to stop us because by virtue of the offense they run they won't be able to keep up. The wildcat simply doesn't produce very many points and that, like the option read the Falcons ran in 2006, is the flaw in it.

They have a very suspect secondary and their front 7 doesn't scare me as much as the Giants did. I fully expect to be able to move the ball at will against them. Even Mark Sanchez picked them apart. Just wait until Drew Brees sees Sean Smith blowing assignments out there like he did on that Monday Night game.

I know everyone wants the next "big challenge" to pump up but I don't buy it. We win this game going away.

:plus-un2::plus-un2::plus-un2:

Time of Possession??? In order for them to control the time of possession against our defense, means they will have to beat them. Sorry...but I don't see that happening. They can make every attempt they want, but you don't think the Saints are suddenly going to change what has been working for the last 5 games, do you?

Again, in order to win the Time of Possession, means they must run the ball, make every throw AND convert first downs. I can't think of a team that has been successful against us yet this year at doing that. It's one thing to say it, but I often think people forget who is on the other side of the ball at times. Nice in theory, but I just don't see it happening. We have done an excellent job at stopping the run, at stopping the pass, and at turning the ball over. Miami would have to play PERFECT offensively in order to stop all three phases of the Saints' defense...and I just don't see that happening this coming weekend.

Can't back it up with any real good reason. But I think we'll see a lot of positive yards rushing this week. Also, their wildcat could result in turnovers against our D. Should be interesting.

They win time of possession sure. But in those 35 mintues, they have 22.4 points. In 33.51 this team has 38.4. As I said in another thread, this team doesn't need the ball that long to score. The dolphins do. If you still think TOP is how the Dolphins win, I urge you to look up the stat sheet on the Colts-phins game.

It's irrelevant anyways. Whatever you think about Sean Payton and throwing the ball, he's always shown a commitment to maintaining Time of Possession. If we're winning the game, we're winning TOP.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom