Saints vs Falcons 1998 1st game (1 Viewer)

Well rsmith this is the first time in an entire century since the H1N1 Spanish Flu virus struck towards the very end of WWI and lasted until 1920 that we've had to deal with a major, highly contagious superflu. the last parts of the world it effected were Australaia and New Zealand, and by that point, the virus potency and virulent nature weren't as strong, which is why Oceania had some of the lowest numbers of casualties compared to USA, Canada, European countries. I've read some horrific, graphic yet heartbreaking stories of wounded WWI American soldiers who would be healthy in the morning, catch Spanish superflu by mid-afternoon, and be dead by following morning at Walter Reed military hospital in Washington, DC.

These are unusual, unfamiliar, very strange times we live in now and probably 95% of the world's population right now has never been forced to confront, understand and deal with its deadly consequences at the same time much less try to maintain some semblance of the kind of lives we were living a year ago. That's an extremely hard, very bitter set of pills for some people to swallow.

There was a famous story that adds to this terrible, enormous sense of heartbreak involving a highly trained, beloved registered nurse who worked at Walter Reed during WWI and during the initial onset of H1N1 virus and was well-liked by soldiers, her fellow nurses, and doctors but who unfortunately caught the very same virus and died, in a medical wing not far away from the soldiers she treated. When news broke of her untimely death, their was a huge outpouring of grief, sadness, and sympathy from millions of Americans who found out about her hard work, dedication and selfless focus towards nursing badly injured American soldiers back to health. Her death was covered in major newspapers all across the country from New York Times, Washington Post, Saturday Evening Post I believe did a feature on her.

Last edited:
Exactly!
Randy Mueller was a great GM for us, but I don't know what was going through his mind when he allowed them to walk.

I know that the "Heavy Lunch Bunch" was a terrible idea. Maybe he was trying to mimic the 2000 Ravens D-Line.

That was the plan. Unfortunately our middle linebacker wasn't Ray Lewis.
In fact, he wasn't Lewis to such an extent that he was outran by Mike Alstott.

That was the plan. Unfortunately our middle linebacker wasn't Ray Lewis.
In fact, he wasn't Lewis to such an extent that he was outran by Mike Alstott.
Wow! That's pretty rough!
If I remember correctly, Norman Hand regressed, and I don't recalled Grady Jackson offering much either. I believe the word was out that by the second half, those two were pretty gassed and all you had to do was run up the middle.

Even though the Cowgirls came in banged up and aging (the "Triplets," to be specific), I think that game was the most impressive showing of 1998, when we kinda-sorta thought Ditka could work out as a coach. Plus, it was always cool to have Madden and Summerall do a Saints game back then. It didn't happen very often! .......

This game was the reason I found Saintsreport (back when it was Ironera.com)!!!

I was at the LSU computer lab on the day following that game and I was so hyped about the outcome that I started searching the internet for Saints message boards so I could see if anyone else was as hyped and stoked as I was -- and the rest is history.

Wow! That's pretty rough!
If I remember correctly, Norman Hand regressed, and I don't recalled Grady Jackson offering much either. I believe the word was out that by the second half, those two were pretty gassed and all you had to do was run up the middle.

Charlie Clemons was a good pass-rusher, fast enough to get to the QB with a good motor. Then they tried to make him into Ray Lewis and we learned that quick is not equal to fast.
Norman and Grady had some aggravating flashes where you could see what the plan was and how well it could work, if only...

I recall one play in particular where Grady just bum-rushed the opposing LG right into the QB in a perfectly straight line. He didn't even slow down. It made you think that with interior pressure like that, we didn't need speed at the DT spot. We'd make 'em double Norman and Grady or have the QB engulfed before he could finish his dropback. They just never kept it up for long.

Norman Hand was great in 2000 and gained too much weight and wasn’t the same in 2001 or beyond. Glover was thought to be too small which was a huge mistake. The team was undisciplined as a whole with poor conditioning. Joe Johnson wanted a huge contract and went to Green Bay. Sammy Knight wanted big money and went to JAX. The FO was dumping Ditka players and reshaping the team which was hit and miss. O-line and D-Line were both dismantled which is where it all went wrong. It remained a primary reason for our struggle until Payton fixed it in 2006.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom