Article Saints want to give Tre'Quan Smith more chances to catch passes (1 Viewer)

Dome Patrol 51

Who Dat
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"More than half of Brees' 49 completed passes to wideouts and tight ends have gone to Thomas, whose 28 receptions lead the NFL.

Finding more ways to get Smith the ball could help diversify an offense that thus far has been run largely through Thomas and running back Alvin Kamara, all as Mark Ingram serves his four-game suspension to start the season."

Get him involved.. Have to convert more on 3rd down

Saints want to give Tre'Quan Smith more chances to catch passes

Everyone knows Smith will come on line, and we'll be harder to stop. The question is when. If he runs the routes well, he'll get the targets, starting last week. He's not an instant prodigy like Mike, but neither is he a 1 year+ project guy like Meach.

/trust

Everyone knows Smith will come on line, and we'll be harder to stop. The question is when. If he runs the routes well, he'll get the targets, starting last week. He's not an instant prodigy like Mike, but neither is he a 1 year+ project guy like Meach.

/trust
Don't MT take a few weeks to really get started his rookie year? I think he got more reps than Quan is getting, but we really only had cooks. If I'm remembering right Thomas and Watson kind of came on at the same time and all of a sudden, we had an offense again.

Hopefully that means less snaps for Carr. Time to move on from what doesn't work.

Don't MT take a few weeks to really get started his rookie year? I think he got more reps than Quan is getting, but we really only had cooks. If I'm remembering right Thomas and Watson kind of came on at the same time and all of a sudden, we had an offense again.
Thomas was productive from day 1.

Im ready to see a mean passing attack and Breesus throwing 400 game with an effective run game of 4.5 a carry and 8yrds a catch avg. We need this. We deserve this.

Drew needs to win an MVP, OPOY, SB MVP and Passing title, and set the single season passing marks in TDs, Completions, Comp %, and yards.

I want to wear my Breesus shirt with pride and joy against these Atheists that act like the gawd aint back.

Why not? Kamara didn't really start his OROY campaign till Week 3 last year too. :shrug:

If we want Thomas to survive this year, it's a must to get Smith more involved.

This sentence also works if you substitute "Kamara" for "Thomas" and "any other effective RB" for "Smith".

Maaaan, some of you are just cold! Carr only played in 2 games w/ 2-3 targets, we don't know if he works or not just yet.

to play devil's advocate - when has drew NOT spread the ball around to a zillion different receivers? Granted we're only 2 games in - but I think it does say something about the performance of the unit as a whole that Thomas and Kamara are basically our only receivers.

We need to spread the ball around more in general.

Kamara and Thomas have had like 90% of the passes.

This pretty much sums it up.

I will also point out that in what are widely agreed to have been our most successful and versatile offenses (2009 & 2011), 7 different players accounted for at LEAST 7.5% of the overall passing targets. Last year, it was only 4 (and you all probably already know which 4).

I can remember thinking that the team last year had handled the rushing success horribly, by reducing the other receiving options. Then I realized that there were no other reliable receiving options. It seemed, however, that the team really made a concentrated effort to remedy this during the off season by bringing Watson back, acquiring Meredith, and drafting Smith.

I am not against Thomas and Kamara being similar to what Graham and Sproles were for us 2011-2013 as the two main pieces, but we need to have a supporting cast around them. In addition to Smith having a bigger role, I would also like to see Meredith worked in when he's ready.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom