Saints want to keep Bushrod (2 Viewers)

I would love to know why you think he's so bad?

Granted, no one is saying he's the best left tackle in football.

I will defend him by saying, as I have in a few other threads.......

We have had one of the best offenses in the league for the last few years.
Arguably, we have the best offense ever in the NFL.

Bushrod has been our starting left tackle for several years now and he deserves credit for being on one of the best O-lines in the NFL.

Plus, he rarely misses time. The guy is durable.

That should not even be a factor. OL [T,C,G] have the least injuries and least players put on IR.
vfvBS_medium.jpg

Yeah, Nicks went down, but he remained durable for us, so its not a factor. We could sign Bushrod and he go down week 3, sign someone else and they play a full 3 seasons w/o injury. Who can ever tell? OL health will not filter into the negotiations...it will be more of a "how he stacks up against other FAs available" conversation. With Beatty signing at 8, Bushrod should be at 6/6.5/7(stretch at 7) per area.

Someone from Saints organization need to send a 'thank you' basket to Beatty. Bushrod does not need to wait and see what Clady or Long will get now, because even if they both get 11 million each, he will not pull more than Beatty. He should just try to negotiate with Saints and sign.

Every offseason since Bushrod started it seemed most fans (or at least threads on here) wanted him gone. Myself, Im always scared coming up against the better pass rushers.

Granted, we have nothing better on the roster but that shouldnt take away from the fact that its a position we could do with an upgrade. Drew isnt going to get any more agile as the years go on. I want to be sure he's kept as clean as possible

If he wants more than 6/7m a year I'd be saying thankyou but goodbye

Abraham getting dropped by the Falcons is one positive whatever way negotiations proceed.

With Beatty re-signing with the Giants, Bushrod might be the cheapest alternative out there (with no huge injury issues). If you assume he gets somewhere in the neighborhood of Beatty, it might allow us the chance to make some other moves.

I would love to know why you think he's so bad?

Granted, no one is saying he's the best left tackle in football.

I will defend him by saying, as I have in a few other threads.......

We have had one of the best offenses in the league for the last few years.
Arguably, we have the best offense ever in the NFL.

Bushrod has been our starting left tackle for several years now and he deserves credit for being on one of the best O-lines in the NFL.

Plus, he rarely misses time. The guy is durable.

With Brees mobility and awareness in the pocket, it hides a lot of the deficiencies we have in pass protection. Bushrod is a good run blocker, but very average at pass blocking. We constantly throw a back, or TE to help chip the better pass rushers to help him out. We have a good OL because of the system we play, and the QB we have under center. Bushrod gets way too much credit for what he does....

If we resign Bushrod, I hope it's a very friendly cap number, and they don't go overboard like they have a tendency to do on occasion with other average players they've decided to keep on....move him to RT, and find a better option either via the draft or FA.

You're right though, the guy is durable...and he's consistent. Consistently average, and saved by whomever is assigned to help him out, or by a QB who's got a 6th sense in terms of where the pressure is coming from.

The true thing you have to consider is if you want to pay bushrod between 5-8mil per year or draft a OT and pay rookie pay scale and use that money on a good defensive player. I for one think the money investment is better spent on defense and get the OT from the draft.

Wouldnt mind keeping him for the right price only. There is no way we can afford to not draft defensive players @ #15 and in the 3rd round to fit this new defense. Bushrod is average and should only get 5-6 mill per tops.

gtting bushrod back opens up that 1st pick from maybe needing to be a Tackle.

Im down.

Only thing i hate is those same people in October that were screaming what will we do without bushrod...will revert to saying "we need an upgrade from bushrod brees is getting killed"

Ignoring the fact tha we are passing the ball 45+ times a game so hes more likely to get hit when the defense knows they can passrush

If we throw premium money at a Tackle in Free Agency, I'd prefer it to be for Long.

that doesn't mean I'm opposed to re-signing Bushrod, just that it needs to be at an affordable price.

You cant spend top dollar on a LT that struggles, needs chips from RBs, and help from the TEs. By top dollar I mean 8-10 mill per. The Saints have been surviving with All Pro Guards who allow Drew to be able to step up in the pocket and his great pocket presence allows him to dodge the DEs coming off the edge. They have never had an anchor at LT during this regime, imagine this offense if they did.....Drew would throw for 6000 yards.

The Saints can't go into the draft without a starting LT, and the only guy on the roster who fills that bill is Bushrod. Forget about Brown--dude can't stay healthy. They either have to sign Bushrod or an equal to better FA replacement before the draft. They already have too many needs to try to fill in the draft without another hole on the roster.

So both our tackles suck and our center only looks good because of the guards he plays between and our TEs aren't particularly good blockers.

Those guards must be super human because our line consistently rates as one of the best in the league.

So both our tackles suck and our center only looks good because of the guards he plays between and our TEs aren't particularly good blockers.

Those guards must be super human because our line consistently rates as one of the best in the league.

Exactly.

If our RDE position combined for 4 sacks total in any given seasons there will literally be public hangings. Yet Bushrod gives up 4 sacks and makes multiple pro bowls and half the fans thinks he is terrible.

He usually has 1-2 bad games a year then plays like an All Pro the rest of the season.

The Saints have been blessed with great LOT play the better part of the last 25 years. If you want to see what happens when you have a bad OT go back and watch the Niners at Bears on MNF this past season.

This year the draft is loaded with offensive tackles. That's not particularly a friendly market for Bushrod. He will be better off re-signing witht he Saints, but the Saints should keep all options open.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom