Saints wanted Hasselbeck over Brooks? (1 Viewer)

For some reason, I feel like I'm in a time warp. :covri:

Will we ever reach a point where AB, i.e. Aaron Brooks, i.e. the name that shouldn't be named, is not part of the discussion?

I mean, we've the defending Super Bowl champs and we're playing the Cowboys tomorrow, meh.

Will we ever reach a point where AB, i.e. Aaron Brooks, i.e. the name that shouldn't be named, is not part of the discussion?

I mean, we've the defending Super Bowl champs and we're playing the Cowboys tomorrow, meh.

Sure. Nor should we talk about John Gilliam, Tom Dempsey, and Archie Manning. They're just relics, and we've the defending Super Bowl champs.

Come on, man.

As long as we would have had those same defenses, things would have been the same. Maybe even worse.

Brooks wasn't the problem with those teams. Those terrible defenses were. Seriously. We had a season during that period where we held the opponent under 20 points in just one game. That's 15 games of allowing at least 20 points, and in 10 of those games, it was at least 24 points allowed. I'm not sure Drew Brees, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady could consistently win in those situations.

Aaron Brooks provided a lot of good moments for me as a Saints fan. It's all relative to where the team was and had been. Under Ditka, I was die-hard rooting for the B.J. quarterbacks that we had and the make-shift WR's. To me, thats part of being a fan is finding a way to root hard for the guys that are trying hard and represent your team.

Oh wait... There's that 'trying hard' part. Brooks kinda started to slip in that area didn't he? Eh, its in the past, I have no hard feelings towards him.

The man I always felt sorry for was Deuce, he should not have had to wait until 2006 to make the playoffs (deserved it in 2002 and 2004).

Overrated?? I've never seen the guy get much credit.

Coming from a fan of a team that plays Hasselbeck twice a year, trust me, the guy is good. He's past his prime now, but throughout a good part of the decade he and the Seahawks were dominant, and in my opinion were a good officiating crew away from a Super Bowl championship.

Agreed. I really thought that the Saints were the best team in the NFL for most of the season in 2002. Anyway, we at least had the potential to hang with any team we played. Haz messed that up, not AB.

I had a blast watching the Saints in the Aaron Brooks era (2005 aside). You always knew that they had a chance to win every game they played. The offense, even then, was capable of exploding. They may have underachieved EVERY season, but every year began with excitement and optimism.

Coming from a fan of a team that plays Hasselbeck twice a year, trust me, the guy is good. He's past his prime now, but throughout a good part of the decade he and the Seahawks were dominant, and in my opinion were a good officiating crew away from a Super Bowl championship.

I agree. I think he's good. But i would say he's under-appreciated, not over.

Well how bout that. Ole Haz wasn't completely stupid when he got here after all.

As long as we would have had those same defenses, things would have been the same. Maybe even worse.

Brooks wasn't the problem with those teams. Those terrible defenses were. Seriously. We had a season during that period where we held the opponent under 20 points in just one game. That's 15 games of allowing at least 20 points, and in 10 of those games, it was at least 24 points allowed. I'm not sure Drew Brees, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady could consistently win in those situations.

This may be true about the 15 games of allowing at least 20 pts, however, it was not the defense allowing all those points. Besides the many interceptions that AB threw, he alone averaged 10+ fumbles a season, not the running backs, not the receivers, but AB all by himself. Now, I 'm not sure how many were lost to the opposing teams, but that is an awful lot for just one player. Not even Adrian Peterson has that many fumbles in a year. Sorry, but Brooks sucked in my opinion.

GEAUX SAINTS!!!

This may be true about the 15 games of allowing at least 20 pts, however, it was not the defense allowing all those points. Besides the many interceptions that AB threw, he alone averaged 10+ fumbles a season, not the running backs, not the receivers, but AB all by himself. Now, I 'm not sure how many were lost to the opposing teams, but that is an awful lot for just one player. Not even Adrian Peterson has that many fumbles in a year. Sorry, but Brooks sucked in my opinion.

GEAUX SAINTS!!!

I think even the people that liked AB will tell you he had flaws, liked I did in my first post in this thread, but you seemed to have missed the point in what I said he COULD have been great if he just put a little hard work in on the mental aspects of the game. Most QB's will tell you INT's come from not making the best decision, which is even more of a disappointment for Brooks because the man could run the ball pretty well in his own right, fumbles come from not thinking about ball security or holding onto the ball too long. His record is an unfair stick to beat him for the reason that the defense sucked but no one said he was Montana out there 24/7, the guy made mistakes but most of those mistakes were coachable, mental mistakes rather than him not having the arm for a throw or not having the ability to leg out that 1st down. If he had a better coach and/or took it upon himself to be a better player in all aspects of the game then there's no reason why he wouldn't have been really successful in the league. I think you're opinion if him may of changed but in any case that's not how it played out.

GEAUX SAINTS!!!

From 01 to 04 Brooks average season was 56.5% 3690 yards 25TD 15Int 246 rush yards 2TD 5 fumbles lost. That would rank him somewhere between 10 to 15 in rankings of QB during those 4 years. If that ranks has sucked, then you standards are higher.

I remember watching some show on NFL Network, and they remarked that before the 1998 NFL Draft, Holmgren said Matt Hasselbeck was going to be the second best quarterback of that class, behind Peyton Manning.

Just for fun I looked up all the QBs in the 1998 draft. Dear God Holmgren was SPOT ON. This was a pretty awful year for QBs. Here they are in order of selection. Pro Bowlers in BOLD and players still in the league with an *.

Rd. 1: Peyton Manning*
Rd. 1: Ryan Leaf
Rd. 2: Charlie Batch*
Rd. 3: Jonathan Quinn
Rd. 3: Brian Griese
Rd. 6: John Dutton (Played mostly in the Arena League. Currently with the Cleveland Gladiators.)
Rd. 6: Matt Hasselbeck*
Rd. 7: Moses Moreno

Wikipedia also tells me there are no "notable" UDFA QBs from 1998 so I assume none are still in the league.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom