Saints wanted Hasselbeck over Brooks? (1 Viewer)

srenner

C-R-U-N-K.....
Reaction score
I did not know this.

From JD's film study: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/11/film_study_1.html

SCOUTING REPORT: Not many folks know this but Matt Hasselbeck was the quarterback the Saints wanted back when they tried to swing a trade with the Packers back in 2000. Green Bay wouldn't part with Hasselbeck and offered the club's third-string quarterback, Aaron Brooks, instead. The rest is history. I always wonder what might have been for the Saints and Jim Haslett if they could've swing that deal.

Quite interesting. One has to think things might have turned out differently, then again who knows if Hasselbeck would have been right for us late in 2000, it seemed that with Williams out we needed Brooks mobility at that time.

I did not know this.

From JD's film study: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/11/film_study_1.html

Quite interesting. One has to think things might have turned out differently, then again who knows if Hasselbeck would have been right for us late in 2000, it seemed that with Williams out we needed Brooks mobility at that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McCarthy_(American_football)

Yes this was somewhat known, b/c McCarthy had been the QB coach for GB the year before joining Haslett. He wanted Hasselbeck, got Brooks. Had been working with both the year prior.

I remember watching some show on NFL Network, and they remarked that before the 1998 NFL Draft, Holmgren said Matt Hasselbeck was going to be the second best quarterback of that class, behind Peyton Manning.

DIDYA NOTICE?: Drew Brees is notoriously secretive about his pregame breakdown chants but interloping FOX cameras caught his message to the team about an hour before kickoff. This season's incarnation of the chant begins with Brees yelling "Who Dat?!" and the players responding with "We Dat!" He then says repeatedly, "What do we do?!" and the players answer, "Win!"

We already knew this about the pregame chant...this is so September. :D

I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Not only the Brees factor, but I am one of the few who will actually admit that I enjoyed Aaron Brooks style of play (and demeanor) while he was here, up until his Katrina year. It was kinda fun never knowing which player would show up, but he flashed amazing potential, which always had me hopeful. He was a good stop gap between all the garbage we had before and Breesus.

I spent a ton of time talking and blogging about how he was underrated...he had a knack for pulling games out of his butt in the 4th quarter, which was an admirable trait. I'm as aware as anyone that he was pretty flawed...but I'm glad we had him and not Hasslebeck. He would have probably rotted here given the coaching we had.

So Matt Hasselbeck could have been a long time Saint instead of a long time Seahawk.

This makes you wonder if we would have ever traded for Drew Brees if that happened.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Not only the Brees factor, but I am one of the few who will actually admit that I enjoyed Aaron Brooks style of play (and demeanor) while he was here, up until his Katrina year. It was kinda fun never knowing which player would show up, but he flashed amazing potential, which always had me hopeful. He was a good stop gap between all the garbage we had before and Breesus.

I spent a ton of time talking and blogging about how he was underrated...he had a knack for pulling games out of his butt in the 4th quarter, which was an admirable trait. I'm as aware as anyone that he was pretty flawed...but I'm glad we had him and not Hasslebeck. He would have probably rotted here given the coaching we had.

Most people dont realize how great could Brooks could've been. I know he let us down a few times but there were plenty of comebacks and times when it was those around him and also our defense (secondary in particular) that let us down during his time here. Brooks problem was that he was TOO self-confident. If he would've spent the preparation time on games like a Brees/P.Manning/Brady does and went the extra mile practice wise then he could've been a truly great QB. He had all the physical tools, great mobility, but his mindset was such that he didn't feel he had to push to get better. To put it frankly the guy drank his own kool-aid, which isn't necessarily bad, self-confidence is good especially for a QB but when it seemed like he didn't think he needed to get better.

Put Brees mental strength and decision making (which comes with that extra preparation) on a player of with Brooks' athletic skills and you'd have one extremely hard to defend QB.

In any case I'm glad it worked out how it did. I loved AB during his time here but Drew is perfect for us as it turned out and we're reaping the benefits of that.

We could also wonder what would happen if Hazlett would have put Jake in for those last games when Brooks was hurt 2001 I think. Granted Jake is no Drew, but you never know. I never understood why they did that.

We could also wonder what would happen if Hazlett would have put Jake in for those last games when Brooks was hurt 2001 I think. Granted Jake is no Drew, but you never know. I never understood why they did that.

It was Haz. Nothing logical to understand.

As far as Hasselbeck being a Saints, it wouldn't have mattered. Haz was our coach and he would have found some other way to blow it.

I've always liked Hasselbeck as a QB. Guy is an efficient pro and very athletic

It's just a shame he seems to be made out of glass.

In 10 years in Seattle he's managed 2 full seasons & missed a total of 15 games, the total games isn't as high as it should be because he continually plays banged up year in year out. Gotta feel for the guy that his body isn't as strong as his mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom