Saints wanted Hasselbeck over Brooks? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hasselbeck is one of the most over rated qbs in recent history. I'm not saying he isn't better than Brooks, but come on guys. Matt Hasselbeck? His own team has hated on him for his entire tenure in Seattle.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Not only the Brees factor, but I am one of the few who will actually admit that I enjoyed Aaron Brooks style of play (and demeanor) while he was here, up until his Katrina year. It was kinda fun never knowing which player would show up, but he flashed amazing potential, which always had me hopeful. He was a good stop gap between all the garbage we had before and Breesus.

I spent a ton of time talking and blogging about how he was underrated...he had a knack for pulling games out of his butt in the 4th quarter, which was an admirable trait. I'm as aware as anyone that he was pretty flawed...but I'm glad we had him and not Hasslebeck. He would have probably rotted here given the coaching we had.
The funny thing about Brooks was the only time I ever felt comfortable with him was when he was trying to make a 4th quarter comeback. The rest of the time he pretty much sucked.

If this would have happened, we would not have won the Super Bowl last year....just keeping it real.

Most people dont realize how great could Brooks could've been. I know he let us down a few times but there were plenty of comebacks and times when it was those around him and also our defense (secondary in particular) that let us down during his time here. Brooks problem was that he was TOO self-confident. If he would've spent the preparation time on games like a Brees/P.Manning/Brady does and went the extra mile practice wise then he could've been a truly great QB. He had all the physical tools, great mobility, but his mindset was such that he didn't feel he had to push to get better. To put it frankly the guy drank his own kool-aid, which isn't necessarily bad, self-confidence is good especially for a QB but when it seemed like he didn't think he needed to get better.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but Brooks was 39-46 as a Saint's starter, should have never been the QB going into 2001 season, because in the NFL, starters (Jeff Blake) don't lose their jobs to injuries when they can return. (Blake was never given that opportunity.)
Can we just move on. The guy sucked and because he sucked, we have Drew Brees. So we do owe that much to AB. So I thank you AB for sucking so much. Today, he is doing quite well in the real estate industry providing for the community in which he lives.

GEAUX SAINTS!!!

Matt Hasselbeck is one of the most over rated qbs in recent history. I'm not saying he isn't better than Brooks, but come on guys. Matt Hasselbeck? His own team has hated on him for his entire tenure in Seattle.

Overrated?? I've never seen the guy get much credit.

Seahawks also traded a first to get him back in the day, I think we only gave a third to get Brooks.

Anybody want to start the why didn't we let Delhomme start thread again?

Thank you Brees for allowing us to laugh off all these times.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but Brooks was 39-46 as a Saint's starter, should have never been the QB going into 2001 season, because in the NFL, starters (Jeff Blake) don't lose their jobs to injuries when they can return.

First, that's not true -- ask Bledsoe.

Furthermore, that old broadcaster booth philosophy never made any sense whatsoever to me. If the backup comes in and performs better than the old starter ever did it would be foolish to go back to the starter.

First, that's not true -- ask Bledsoe.

Furthermore, that old broadcaster booth philosophy never made any sense whatsoever to me. If the backup comes in and performs better than the old starter ever did it would be foolish to go back to the starter.

I thought Jeff was performing quite well before he broke his foot.

Blake was having a VERY good season before he broke his foot. I would've loved to see what Jeff could have done for us the rest of the season if he could have stayed healthy.

I agree. Jeff Blake should have gotten the lion's share of the credit for that 2000 season with the 1st playoff win. He got the team to rally and get on a roll. And, it was under Blake that John Horn's career really got going. Brooks benefitted from the momentum already underway in that season since we were on a winning streak. To Brooks' credit, he did manage to keep the momentum going. Haslett fell in love with Brooks after that playoff win and really never gave Blake another chance.

In any event, Haslett would have never won big with Hasselbeck. He just wasn't a very good coach. How he manages to keep getting these defensive coordinator positions is beyond me. I guess it's the NFL's version of the good ole boy network...

I agree. Jeff Blake should have gotten the lion's share of the credit for that 2000 season with the 1st playoff win. He got the team to rally and get on a roll. And, it was under Blake that John Horn's career really got going. Brooks benefitted from the momentum already underway in that season since we were on a winning streak. To Brooks' credit, he did manage to keep the momentum going. Haslett fell in love with Brooks after that playoff win and really never gave Blake another chance.

In any event, Haslett would have never won big with Hasselbeck. He just wasn't a very good coach. How he manages to keep getting these defensive coordinator positions is beyond me. I guess it's the NFL's version of the good ole boy network...

Who's John Horn? :scratch: :idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom