Saints watch Purdue DL Short workout [title edited] (1 Viewer)

silverback06

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
The New Orleans Saints and 19 other NFL teams sent coaches and scouts to watch Purdue DL Kawann Short give a private workout.

The teams sent five defensive line coaches and the Saints sent Director of College Scouting Rick Reiprish. Short ran a 5.08 and 5.09 40-yard dash, had a 27-inch vertical leap, and 8-foot-4 broad jump. He also had 29 bench presses, a three-cone drill of 7.55 and a short-shuttle of 4.65. The team will be looking to add versatile defensive linemen for their newly minted 3-4 defense and Short provides that, playing the one and three techniques in college.

Source: NFL.com
Mar 25 - 8:10 PM

[mod edit - corrections made to the teaser]

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that we are looking at the DE position, unless we take short in the first round i dont see hin lasting until the 2nd, this makes me think we might be drafting sheldon richardson

I think we are looking@ guys that will be there if we trade back into the Mid 20's.

Alec Ogletree, Short, etc etc are guys that might be there in that area Jamie Collins...etc etc.

If we don't trade back then Richardson would be on the radar i could suspect.

Like i keep saying id rather an interior rusher than an edge rusher. We have 2 guys that can come of the edge right now. I want someone who can penetrate and bring that immediate Geno Atkins pressure up the gut. That alone will make our edge guys much better so if i had a choice between Dlineman and OLB in the first id take the Dlineman.

Unless its Jamie Collins

I was at the OSU-Purdue game this past year. Short, in many ways, was more impressive than Hankins--at least early on. Short dominated and helped Purdue build a lead. Thankfully, for OSU fateful, Hankins turned it on a major way late and just took over. I say all that to say that Short is a pretty talented player who is very active and is good at collapsing the pocket. #15 is too high for him, in my opinion, but he is a guy who would make some sense, especially if had a second rounder.

Every time I have seen Short play, its like watching Ellis all over again. Just say no! Too much of a similarity with Ellis!

Forgive me for not knowing who he was prior to the thread. I went looking for highlights and found this...
kawaan short - Bing Videos

He looks lazy, but can dominate his blocker whenever he pleases. I could tell he took a couple plays off at one point letting someone stand him up for what seemed like 4 or 5 seconds.

Y'all said reminded us of Ellis? Yup@!

Something that keeps coming up when reading Draft scout profiles on Short, is "Questionable Motor", "Plays when he feels like it", "doesn't put together the same effort on a snap to snap basis"..etc.

Really seems like a big boom or bust type guy who's success will depend on how well his team/coaches/himself can keep him motivated.

If it's that bad why are the Saints wasting time going to see him, smoke screen?

I like his track record. Does Purdue even have any former players that EVER made it to the Probowl?

As a redshirt freshman, Short started all 12 games and received Freshman All-American honors after making 48 tackles, four for loss, and two interceptions during the year. The league’s media gave him honorable mention notice for his sophomore year efforts, as he finished in the top five in the conference in tackles for loss (12.5) and sacks (six). Short again started every game (making it 37 straight) in 2011, garnering second-team All-Big Ten accolades from coaches and media with his 17 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks. He also blocked two kicks for the second straight season. He displayed the toughness to fight through an ankle injury in his senior season, accumulating 47 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, and 6 sacks on his way to earning second-team All-America honors, as well as making first-team All-Big Ten.

Kawann Short Draft Profile

I think Short is only an option if Saints move down in the 1st
This. At 15 there is bound to be some fine talent left on the board. If we took this guy at 15 I would throw a brick at my TV.

Of course then he'd turn out to be the next JJ Watt and I'd look like an idiot :hihi:

I would not understand this pick if we made it in the first round. Our starting DEs are set with Jordan and Hicks. Surely you don't draft depth in the first half of the first round, especially 3-4 defensive line depth.

We have too many holes on this team to be using our first pick on depth, or at best, a marginal improvement at the 5-technique position. I'd be highly disappointed if this is the guy, even if we traded down for him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom