Saints will ask LB Jonathan Vilma and DE Will Smith,to restructure (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it will be a pay cut. I understand the Vilma situation.....but keeping W Smith at this point is highly questionable. It means the coaches don't think much of A Hicks as a DE....I assume W Smith will be the other DE opposite to Jordan. Hicks will probably be the NT....

They better know what they're doing with this... :aargh:

I know, right? I'm pretty sure asking them to restructure has nothingto do with bountygate and everything to do with trying to get under the salary cap.

No kidding, I don't remember ESPN saying...

"We're all happy that Ray Lewis, who was involved in the murder of two men, wins a Superbowl to end his career".

When will they stop? Never?

Just a restructure for those guys means nothing. They need to take a pay cut.

It is disappointing because the Saints continue to allow the same declining players to start and expect different results. Smith and Vilma cannot be counted on as consistent playmakers yet Payton continues to think that the are. I guess we can blame our crappy defense on Rob Ryan in 2 years instead of our below average players.

Wow. Our overall D was the worst ever, but Smith and Vilma are declining, but Payton is unable to see that? Vilma was recovering from an injury for the first part of the season and then came into a system that all players were having trouble with. I'm going to give Payton a chance to see both of them in Ryan's system before I write off two of our top players and our head coach's judgment.

In order to take a pay cut, wouldn't one's contract need to be restructured? I'm hoping this is the case.

Wow. Our overall D was the worst ever, but Smith and Vilma are declining, but Payton is unable to see that? Vilma was recovering from an injury for the first part of the season and then came into a system that all players were having trouble with. I'm going to give Payton a chance to see both of them in Ryan's system before I write off two of our top players and our head coach's judgment.

We had one good defensive year under Payton mainly because of Darren Sharper's coverage and playmaking abilities that allowed GW's aggressive style of D to thrive. So, I think we can say that he has not been the greatest talent evaluator on the defensive side of the ball. Also, if mediocre over-the-hill players like Vilma, Smith, Harper, and Shanle are the best of our defense, then we are in trouble.

Honestly, the contracts for both should be terminated. They have too much dead money and bonuses already in their contracts to warrant a restructure/extension. It is time to cut bait with aging overpaid players whose productivity does not warrant the cost.

Did you ever stop to think that we need to keep them for depth and not as starters, but coming off the bench. That would keep them fresh. You need depth at NT & DE in a 3-4 defense.

Ohhhhh, I didn't realize we needed overpaid depth.

It is disappointing because the Saints continue to allow the same declining players to start and expect different results. Smith and Vilma cannot be counted on as consistent playmakers yet Payton continues to think that the are. I guess we can blame our crappy defense on Rob Ryan in 2 years instead of our below average players.

I echo your sentiments exactly. How can we improve if we never move on from the same failed philosophies? Will Smith isn't going to all of a sudden become a a fantastic DE in a 3-4 when he cant even do it in a 4-3. Don't get me started on Vilma. Vilma himself, stated that he hated playing in the 3-4. It's how he blew out his knee to begin with. Now, all of a sudden he likes the 3-4 and he'll be great in it? That sounds like a man that questions his own job security and is willing to conform to keep the paychecks coming. We hoped for change! We're is it?

Vilma, when healthy, can still be a productive player. The problem I have is he DOES NOT like the 3-4. If you remember that is one of the main reasons, other than an injury, that drove him out of NY. His play declined and he publicly said it was because of the defensive 3-4 scheme. He was much younger and healthier then.
Will Smith has not been a very productive player for awhile. Well, let's see, since he got his raise. Week in and week out he shows no real consistent ability to get to the QB. Yes, there are several factors that contribute to that, but he still has to own his shortcomings.
With that said, I guess I'll have to trust Payton and hope that these will be unpopular decisions that work out for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom