Saints will ask LB Jonathan Vilma and DE Will Smith,to restructure (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, the contracts for both should be terminated. They have too much dead money and bonuses already in their contracts to warrant a restructure/extension. It is time to cut bait with aging overpaid players whose productivity does not warrant the cost.
THANK YOU ever so much.

"And here comes Tom Brady and coach billichick who were involved in spygate"Says no ESPN reporter. "Hey Louisianaians Joe Horn who was 1 of the 1,200 players involved in the saints bounty scandal will be in mandeville Saturday selling his BBQ sauce"
Says every ESPN reporter ever. Smh

Vilma, when healthy, can still be a productive player. The problem I have is he DOES NOT like the 3-4. If you remember that is one of the main reasons, other than an injury, that drove him out of NY. His play declined and he publicly said it was because of the defensive 3-4 scheme. He was much younger and healthier then.
Will Smith has not been a very productive player for awhile. Well, let's see, since he got his raise. Week in and week out he shows no real consistent ability to get to the QB. Yes, there are several factors that contribute to that, but he still has to own his shortcomings.
With that said, I guess I'll have to trust Payton and hope that these will be unpopular decisions that work out for the best.

Rilb in a 3-4 is basically the wolb in a 4-3 hes still covered up. Vilma finished the season on a strong note with a pick 6 if i recall.

Only issue i have is the missed tackels. If he can sure that area of his game up hes good to go.

Will is good depth/borderline starter. I hope he isn't. If he is it better be two down.

No sign on Roman yet

well I think they will restructure them, to something fair if they make the team, but if they don't make the starting lineup, they will be cut.

OK..are we talking restructuring or pay cut? It had better be the latter.

with both having done the restructures last year, and both contracts nearing the end of the line.... damage to their future years would be getting worse and worse, while the gains this year would be less and less....

i have to imagine at some point each will be asked to give a little back to stay.

well I think they will restructure them, to something fair if they make the team, but if they don't make the starting lineup, they will be cut.

If we don't cut them now, we won't cut them at all this season. We can nickname the D "Payton and friends" : ) because that is what it's becoming.

Payton during his reinstatement said he missed talking to Will Smith. I wonder if his loyalty is in play but to be honest perhaps Smith could be a decent DE in our 3-4. Smith is a lot heavier.

Rilb in a 3-4 is basically the wolb in a 4-3 hes still covered up. Vilma finished the season on a strong note with a pick 6 if i recall.

Only issue i have is the missed tackels. If he can sure that area of his game up hes good to go.

Will is good depth/borderline starter. I hope he isn't. If he is it better be two down.

No sign on Roman yet

I agree. I think he can play in the 3-4, he just said in NY that he hated the 3-4. I know his play declined there and he ended up getting injured.
As for Smith, he should be paid like a depth player.

Both Smith and Vilma are guaranteed $$$'s, we will have to pay them regardless. Why not have them take less, and bring them to camp to see what we can do with them?

Cut them both. We have up n comers ready to play. If we don't cut them Gallette and Tez , Hicks will not get there time to shine. Unless they give Vilma n Smith the backup roll.

They will be asked to take significant pay cuts or released. Saints locker room would be a mess if they cut Vilma and Smith outright without first asking to take a paycut.

However if Smith and Vilma balk at the paycut, then they will be gone. There is absolutely no way they are restructuring both of these guys contracts and giving them the same money.

OK..are we talking restructuring or pay cut? It had better be the latter.

Anything that changes the contract is a restructure.

We typically look at it to mean that you're converting salary or a roster bonus into a signing bonus to keep the player with the same money.

But, they can also try to write a new cheaper contract. That is also a restructure. Anything that changes the original structure of the contract.

It's all about what the player will accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom