Saints will have to spend big if they want to land an edge rusher like Melvin Ingram [Reported he will be franchised] (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
fa.gif

By Larry Holder -- Picayune

A year ago, I don't think the New Orleans Saints would have ever pondered spending over-the-top money for a pass rusher like Olivier Vernon in free agency.

Given the desperate state of the defensive end/outside linebacker position, I bet the Saints' thought process has changed. It also helps that the Saints actually have money to spend this offseason to the tune of nearly $30 million.

Whether you call it defensive end or outside linebacker or edge rusher or Fred, the Saints so badly need a pass rusher to affect the quarterback. New Orleans' sack totals have dwindled since 2013 dropping to 34 in 2014, 31 in 2015 and just 30 last season.

The absolute need for a pass rusher is imperative.

Full Article -- Picayune

Hopefully we have learned our lesson on big ticket free agents.

We have spent big and gotten three consecutive 7-9 seasons for it.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT. All these big ticket guys do is get a big payday and shut it down or get hurt immediately.

This FA is going to be super inflated with all the cap space that most teams are carrying around.

Really think the Saints will focus on o-line, cb, lb in free agency. Let's get a couple young pass rushers in the draft

Really think the Saints will focus on o-line, cb, lb in free agency. Let's get a couple young pass rushers in the draft

I sure hope so. Hope they don't get caught up in the Melvin Ingram hype. He's not worth $15+ million a year IMO.

Hopefully we have learned our lesson on big ticket free agents.

We have spent big and gotten three consecutive 7-9 seasons for it.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT. All these big ticket guys do is get a big payday and shut it down or get hurt immediately.

Free agency is the way to build right now. 3-5 years ago yes we should've gone through the draft, but we only have Brees for a couple more years, not enough time to let draft picks develop.

Free agency is the way to build right now. 3-5 years ago yes we should've gone through the draft, but we only have Brees for a couple more years, not enough time to let draft picks develop.

Jairus Byrd

Brandon Browner

CJ Spiller

Coby Fleener

Are we seeing a pattern here? How many times do we have to kill our cap to understand that this method does not work?

You have to be spot on with talent AND character evaluation, and the Saints just are not good at this.

Junior and Browner were immature expletives.

Jairus is injury prone.

CJ...i have no idea whats up with this guy. Mentally coudnt learn the playbook?

Coby is perceived as Charmin soft, and has not proven otherwise. I hope he gets better, but he is an expensive project.

Jairus Byrd

Brandon Browner

CJ Spiller

Coby Fleener

Are we seeing a pattern here? How many times do we have to kill our cap to understand that this method does not work?

You have to be spot on with talent AND character evaluation, and the Saints just are not good at this.

Junior and Browner were immature expletives.

Jairus is injury prone.

CJ...i have no idea whats up with this guy.

Coby is perceived as Charmin soft, and has not proven otherwise. I hope he gets better, but he is an expensive project.

It's not that the method doesn't work; it is just that we need to improve in the area of personnel evaluation.

You don't think the Patriots or Falcons signed any free agent contributors?

It's not that the method doesn't work; it is just that we need to improve in the area of personnel evaluation.

You don't think the Patriots or Falcons signed any free agent contributors?

I 100% agree, but I havent seen any talent eval guys hired. Only coaching changes. Which does us no good with this problem.

Jairus Byrd

Brandon Browner

CJ Spiller

Coby Fleener

I agree with building through the draft primarily, but signing free agents is good too. You can't hit on all of them, just like with draft picks. We've had some pretty good signings since Payton took over.

Drew Brees

Scott Fujita

Bobby McCray

Darren Sharper

Jabari Greer

Anthony Hargrove

Heath Evans

Darren Sproles

Curtis Lofton

Ben Grubbs

Brodrick Bunkley

David Hawthorne

Rafael Bush

Keenan Lewis

Ben Watson

Nick Fairley

Tim Hightower

Craig Robertson

Erik Harris

Delvin Breaux

I think we can get our pass rusher in the draft. No need to go spend a boat load of money for one guy when we can get several mid tier guys, whom we seem to have better luck with production wise, and go draft for the rest. Everyone seems to think it is a Super Bowl or bust year but I don't see it like that. Drew said he is going to see how things went this season and if we can get three more wins we would be in the playoffs and Drew will stay. He has stated consistently that he wants to finish here and I believe him. If Drew stays then Coach is staying also. Don't go all big money on one guy when we need help in quite a few places including depth. If we were one or two players away from domination then I would change my mind. But we need too many players and not enough cap.

I think we can get our pass rusher in the draft. No need to go spend a boat load of money for one guy when we can get several mid tier guys, whom we seem to have better luck with production wise, and go draft for the rest. Everyone seems to think it is a Super Bowl or bust year but I don't see it like that. Drew said he is going to see how things went this season and if we can get three more wins we would be in the playoffs and Drew will stay. He has stated consistently that he wants to finish here and I believe him. If Drew stays then Coach is staying also. Don't go all big money on one guy when we need help in quite a few places including depth. If we were one or two players away from domination then I would change my mind. But we need too many players and not enough cap.

Pass rusher is the one position I absolutely do not want to spend big on. I'd be open to any others though. The talent at pass rusher just doesn't match up with what they'll get paid this year. I'm fine with going after the top or even the mid-tier cornerbacks, guards, and/or linebackers.

I agree with building through the draft primarily, but signing free agents is good too. You can't hit on all of them, just like with draft picks. We've had some pretty good signings since Payton took over.

Drew Brees

Scott Fujita

Bobby McCray

Darren Sharper

Jabari Greer

Anthony Hargrove

Heath Evans

Darren Sproles

Curtis Lofton

Ben Grubbs

Brodrick Bunkley

David Hawthorne

Rafael Bush

Keenan Lewis

Ben Watson

Nick Fairley

Tim Hightower

Craig Robertson

Erik Harris

Delvin Breaux

Im not saying dont sign any free agents. Im saying just use them to supplement your roster that you primarily build through the draft. Most of the people in that list are supplemental, lower tier free agents that will absolutely not hurt your cap at all if they wash out.

Drew Brees is the exception, because we had no choice but to just go big and hope for the best. We literally had no other options, and its worked out great.

The key is not to cripple yourself with stupid contracts that are still on your books after they arent even on the team any longer.

Im not saying dont sign any free agents. Im saying just use them to supplement your roster that you primarily build through the draft. Most of the people in that list are supplemental, lower tier free agents that will absolutely not hurt your cap at all if they wash out.

Drew Brees is the exception, because we had no choice but to just go big and hope for the best. We literally had no other options, and its work out great.

The key is not to cripple yourself with stupid contracts that are still on your books after they arent even on the team any longer.

I agree with going for guys on the level we have succeeded with signing in the past. Mid-tier free agents.

Guard is the one position I would feel safe spending big on. We spent big on Jahri in the past and I think it's a pretty easy position to evaluate. Zeitler and Warford are worth the big contract.

Any linebacker other than Hightower shouldn't break the bank.

Cornerback is the one that's tough IMO. We really need one and there are some good corners available. Maybe we can get a Keenan Lewis / Jabari Greer type signing. Good corner without paying top dollar. That would definitely be ideal. Claiborne, Webster, and Kirkpatrick are the names that come to mind.

Jairus Byrd
Brandon Browner
CJ Spiller
Coby Fleener

yeah... I'm not convinced the Saints are above 'inept' status when it comes to defense. Other than 2 seasons, they've been mostly bad for the past 10 years. I also feel that the defense has so many holes, that one high-priced FA won't fix the sinking ship so to speak. I lean more towards a bunch of mid-tier good (not great) players, than spending all the $$ on just one high-cost player

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom