Saints will need to draft an OT before defense (1 Viewer)

Have to remember also that a new coach will have connections and know players outside the team better. Who is to say a new OL coach wouldn't go to Payton and say hey there's this guy sitting on a bench.... That's the great thing about getting turnover on a staff. The coaches may know of someone who can come in and play.

Maybe and those kind of diamonds in the rough are awesome if you're working from a position of strength but we do not have much talent at Tackle right now and even less if we are unable to resign Bushrod.

Unless we address that there will come a time when the play of our LT will begin limiting the effectiveness of our offense.

We have alot of prospects on the OLine already on the team, I dont think it will be a need pick, even if we lose Bushrod we just promote Brown and Harris will back him up...I dont see the need like everybody is preaching...I think some people on here want to create a dire situation when there really isnt one.

I agree, we have 7 OT's on the roster right now, plus Simmons on IR. I think Sean and Loomis will trust them more to protect Drew than a draft pick with no NFL experience. When Harris, Robinson and Brown were thrown in the game last year, they did well.
I believe Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson will be gone by the time we are picking and that makes it even more likely that we will picking a defensive player. Another reason is that we have to let our new DC take a player in the first round that he needs to complete the scheme change. We will probably take an OT in the 3rd or 4th round, and let him compete for the starting RT and LT position.

It may just be time for Charlie Brown or someone to step up if Bushrod leaves & we can't get a bpa rookie OT in the draft. And it'll be another year where our backs and TE's have to throw a ton of chip blocks. We'll scheme our way through it.

You have to lock Bushrod up and I think we will, but even if that happens we have a big need at right tackle. I still think we can find a gem in later rounds. Good left tackles are far and few. Bushrod is a Probowler. Got to get him signed.

You have to lock Bushrod up and I think we will, but even if that happens we have a big need at right tackle. I still think we can find a gem in later rounds. Good left tackles are far and few. Bushrod is a Probowler. Got to get him signed.

We're 16mil over the cap without his contract. As a pro bowler he'll be expecting a big one. When Loomis spoke about Bushrod he didn't sounds confident (same with Nicks last year) and I think we ought to prepare ourselves for him leaving.

If he does LT is the biggest need we have.

I agree that OT is definitely a need, but not first round need. We are usually very good at finding talent in later rounds. Also, i'm not ready to give up on Charles Brown just yet, he looked great last year when he was in that very limited spot before he was hurt. That's the real question on him, can he stay healthy? For that reason i think we should draft an OT in the 3rd.

I agree that OT is definitely a need, but not first round need. We are usually very good at finding talent in later rounds. Also, i'm not ready to give up on Charles Brown just yet, he looked great last year when he was in that very limited spot before he was hurt. That's the real question on him, can he stay healthy? For that reason i think we should draft an OT in the 3rd.

For what reason? Cos he's never had a healthy campaign? As far as I'm concerned Brees is the franchise. If you lose him you could have Ware at OLB and it wouldn't matter. Imo you don't gamble with the protection for #9. If the D gets a little better, we're in the playoffs. If Brees gets hurt we're in the cellar.

We're 16mil over the cap without his contract. As a pro bowler he'll be expecting a big one. When Loomis spoke about Bushrod he didn't sounds confident (same with Nicks last year) and I think we ought to prepare ourselves for him leaving.

If he does LT is the biggest need we have.

If it's the biggest need we have then we'll fill it in FA just like we always do. I'd be shocked to see us go into the draft without a starting LT and even more shocked to see Loomis draft one at 15 if the top 2 are off the board. Trading way down is the only way I see that happening and if a top pass rusher is on the board when we do that, we'd be dumb.

hate to sound like an LSU homer, but OT Chris Faulk might be a quality pickup in the 3rd round if we go defense in the first round.

If it's the biggest need we have then we'll fill it in FA just like we always do. I'd be shocked to see us go into the draft without a starting LT and even more shocked to see Loomis draft one at 15 if the top 2 are off the board. Trading way down is the only way I see that happening and if a top pass rusher is on the board when we do that, we'd be dumb.

Who in FA and with what money? If we could afford a vet LT we'd resign Bushrod, which seems increasingly unlikely.

Unless I'm mistaken every prospect (including the pass rushers we're all high on) are a risk. So with that in mind, why would trading back to say #20, picking up a second and taking Lane Johnson for instance be dumb? In my mind it's risk vs. reward. As I just said, if the D improves a small amount (all the other draft picks besides #1, new DC and new scheme) we're in the playoffs. If Drew is getting hammered every time he drops back to pass we're >6 and 10.

Trade back from 15 if Fisher isn't there. Take the Belichick approach. I just feel a little nauseated every time I imagine a rookie 5th round draft pick protecting our franchise from the Smith brothers next year.
It wasn't a problem when we won a Super Bowl with a 4th rounder from Towson who had not played a NFL regular season game before protecting Drew in '09.

I don't think the team will let it become an issue, if we lose Bushrod they'll have a plan to bring someone in, maybe a mid level vet in Free agency once we restructure some deals.

I don't think they'll go into the Draft with a big hole like that. If Tackle still needs to be addressed in the Draft, they'll find their prospect. I don't believe it means they'll reach for one with the 15th overall, if there are better players on the board (assuming Joeckel, Fisher are gone). If anything they'll look in rounds 3, or 4... or swing a deal to move down and get their guy.

Who in FA and with what money? If we could afford a vet LT we'd resign Bushrod, which seems increasingly unlikely.

Unless I'm mistaken every prospect (including the pass rushers we're all high on) are a risk. So with that in mind, why would trading back to say #20, picking up a second and taking Lane Johnson for instance be dumb? In my mind it's risk vs. reward. As I just said, if the D improves a small amount (all the other draft picks besides #1, new DC and new scheme) we're in the playoffs. If Drew is getting hammered every time he drops back to pass we're >6 and 10.

Because Lane Johnson is a project with 2 years experience at tackle and a skinny lower half making him susceptible to the bull rush. Walterfootball and the guy he runs the site with is currently mocking him in the 2nd round. My point is he's far from a sure thing and might not even start over a guy like Charlie Brown. He could be good in a couple years after gaining strength and gaining more experience. Meanwhile, we can draft people on defense who can come in and make an impact right away and with our scheme change it's much needed.

As for FA once we cut dead weight we'll have some money and with Loomis' creativity we'll be able to sign a good tackle. And it's a respectable tackle class this year.

It wasn't a problem when we won a Super Bowl with a Rookie 4th rounder protecting Drew in '09.

I don't think the team will let it become an issue, if we lose Bushrod they'll have a plan to bring someone in, maybe a mid level vet in Free agency once we restructure some deals.

I don't think they'll go into the Draft with a big hole like that. If Tackle still needs to be addressed in the Draft, they'll find their prospect. I don't believe it means they'll reach for one with the 15th overall, if there are better players on the board (assuming Joeckel, Fisher are gone). If anything they'll look in rounds 3, or 4... or swing a deal to move down and get their guy.

Erm, I hate to do this in a thread but Bushrod wasn't a rookie in 09... He was drafted in 07. There is a massive difference between starting out the gate and having two years to learn behind a former 1st round LT and, more importantly, for the coaching staff to evaluate.

I'd FAR rather we got a guy in FA but I'll remain sceptical until I see Loomis work his magic. If we do end up with a rookie starting I'd rather it was Joeckel, Fisher or we traded back and picked up more picks AND a LT.

Because Lane Johnson is a project with 2 years experience at tackle and a skinny lower half making him susceptible to the bull rush. Walterfootball and the guy he runs the site with is currently mocking him in the 2nd round. My point is he's far from a sure thing and might not even start over a guy like Charlie Brown. He could be good in a couple years after gaining strength and gaining more experience. Meanwhile, we can draft people on defense who can come in and make an impact right away and with our scheme change it's much needed.

As for FA once we cut dead weight we'll have some money and with Loomis' creativity we'll be able to sign a good tackle. And it's a respectable tackle class this year.

Exactly this is the Jammal Brown situation redux. Everyone starts panicking when our Pro Bowl Left Tackle leaves. (he isn't even gone yet we're just speculating he won't be re-signed) and worries we'll have a drop off at that position.

The past has shown that the Saints address their needs in Free Agency before hitting the Draft, we don't know what our cap situation will be after cuts, restructures.. but there are affordable mid level Free agents. Khalif Barnes from Oakland, William Beatty from the Giants, Sam Baker from the Falcons, Rashad Butler from the Texans are Unrestricted Free Agents who won't cost a fortune to sign.

Whoever the Left Tackle is will receive help from the Scheme anyways, we are constantly Sliding protection, and using Chip blocking.

For what reason? Cos he's never had a healthy campaign? As far as I'm concerned Brees is the franchise. If you lose him you could have Ware at OLB and it wouldn't matter. Imo you don't gamble with the protection for #9. If the D gets a little better, we're in the playoffs. If Brees gets hurt we're in the cellar.

I agree about protecting Drew, but it's not like our Oline is garbage, when healthy they are already top 5 in the league. Charles Brown still has a lot of potential imo. So while we definitely need depth i'm not sure we need to spend a first round pick on an OT when our Dline really really needs help.

Now, that said if SP and Mickey decide to go OT i'm not gonna be upset about it. In our FO i trust.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom