Saints will need to draft an OT before defense (1 Viewer)

Erm, I hate to do this in a thread but Bushrod wasn't a rookie in 09... He was drafted in 07. There is a massive difference between starting out the gate and having two years to learn behind a former 1st round LT and, more importantly, for the coaching staff to evaluate.

I'd FAR rather we got a guy in FA but I'll remain sceptical until I see Loomis work his magic. If we do end up with a rookie starting I'd rather it was Joeckel, Fisher or we traded back and picked up more picks AND a LT.

Bushrod wasn't the rookie he was talking about.

Erm, I hate to do this in a thread but Bushrod wasn't a rookie in 09... He was drafted in 07. There is a massive difference between starting out the gate and having two years to learn behind a former 1st round LT and, more importantly, for the coaching staff to evaluate.

I'd FAR rather we got a guy in FA but I'll remain sceptical until I see Loomis work his magic. If we do end up with a rookie starting I'd rather it was Joeckel, Fisher or we traded back and picked up more picks AND a LT.

You're right he had some time to be groomed but he was still a Complete Unknown at that time being a 4th rounder from Towson. Who at that time had even heard of Towson university? He had major concerns about ability to play at this level and to the Coaching staff's credit he stepped right in and wasn't an issue. They developed him, but he was also protected by the scheme.

I don't think we'll turn to a Rookie, if we take one it will be to develop so I definitely believe we'll fill in with a Veteran if Bushrod walks.

I don't know.. I guess I'm not as worried about it because of Payton's ability to constantly keep the Offense rolling with interchangeable parts. THE only reason I have to worry at this point is Kromer is gone, and we don't have our replacement O-line Coach yet. That seems to be the one kink in this deal right now, but still I think Payton will find the right fit there.

Bushrod wasn't the rookie he was talking about.

Stand corrected but I think we can all accept that LT is a little different from Guard and the guy he was talking about was the definition of a beast. You cant expect to go into the draft getting one of those.

You're right he had some time to be groomed but he was still a Complete Unknown at that time being a 4th rounder from Towson. Who at that time had even heard of Towson university? He had major concerns about ability to play at this level and to the Coaching staff's credit he stepped right in and wasn't an issue. They developed him, but he was also protected by the scheme.

I don't think we'll turn to a Rookie, if we take one it will be to develop so I definitely believe we'll fill in with a Veteran if Bushrod walks.

I don't know.. I guess I'm not as worried about it because of Payton's ability to constantly keep the Offense rolling with interchangeable parts. THE only reason I have to worry at this point is Kromer is gone, and we don't have our replacement O-line Coach. That seems to be the one kink in this deal right now, but still I think Payton will find the right fit there.

I get that and I'm only preaching caution cos it seems like everyone has forgotten we're miles over the cap for next year. I just don't want to see us regress any further on offence. To me it felt like this year was a step back and I think losing Nicks and the declining play of the Tackles was a large reason for that. I want to see us return to our explosive best and if we're plugging in journeymen on the OL and relying on our talented backs and TEs increasingly to block or chip instead of catching passes, I personally think that's a mistake.

I get that and I'm only preaching caution cos it seems like everyone has forgotten we're miles over the cap for next year. I just don't want to see us regress any further on offence. To me it felt like this year was a step back and I think losing Nicks and the declining play of the Tackles was a large reason for that. I want to see us return to our explosive best and if we're plugging in journeymen on the OL and relying on our talented backs and TEs increasingly to block or chip instead of catching passes, I personally think that's a mistake.

I think a lot of the Offensive decline had to due with missing the presence of the Head Coach, and Playcaller Sean Payton. With him back I instantly see little things, like attention to detail and concentration improving. I don't think he'll ignore the Offense, he's just going to address it differently. I think every position will be re-evaluated.

We as a team have always used Tight End blocking, and chip protection in our Blocking Schemes.. even when we had Jammal Brown at LT; he had games where he struggled and needed help(i seem to recall against John Abraham) That doesn't mean we do so on every play, it's only part of the solution to help our Tackles in protections. Other times we might go to the quick passing game get the ball out quicker, roll the pocket out away from where the primary rusher is, come out with Two TE sets..etc Jimmy Graham, and Darren Sproles still get to run the plays designed for them.

I want us to draft the best guy available that will help is win. That said the 7000 plus yards sits with me more than the sacks Dres sustained. The offense played well enough to win 2/3 of the games this year.

Loomis needs to find a way to resign Bushrod b/c we can't afford anymore holes on our team. We already have too many to fill without a full slate of draft picks. We must go D in the 1st round, even though I agree we need another OT. I see us drafting an offensive linemen this year, but not in the first.

i dont think we will reach for any position, esp OT. Why get the third or fourth guy for need when you can get the best guy at a different position... Ie, safety or olb? We have a long track record of drafting great lineman late in the payton/loomis era. I see that trend continuing

What are we more likely to find in the later rounds? A starting caliber NT in a 3-4 defense or a starting caliber OT?

What are we more likely to find in the later rounds? A starting caliber NT in a 3-4 defense or a starting caliber OT?

OT. The issue is that we are an offensive team with one of the best quarterbacks in the game. This teams playoff hopes depend on his health and performance. Not a nose tackle.

OT is top priority for this team.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OT. The issue is that we are an offensive team with one of the best quarterbacks in the game. This teams playoff hopes depend on his health and performance. Not a nose tackle.

OT is top priority for this team.

Which is why it will be addressed in FA. There is plenty of dead weight we can cut to get under cap and then reworking contracts with guys like Evans will give us plenty of room. We'll be able to re-sign Bushrod or an experienced veteran to fill that hole.

Which is why it will be addressed in FA. There is plenty of dead weight we can cut to get under cap and then reworking contracts with guys like Evans will give us plenty of room. We'll be able to re-sign Bushrod or an experienced veteran to fill that hole.

I wish I shared your confidence. I think Bushrod will be looking for way more than Loomis would want/be able to pay for him. Everything he's said thus far leads me to thrill he won't be back and we'll be finding our starting LT in the draft, which I'm not very happy about.

I have no problem with Bushrod leaving. He's the worst pro bowler I've ever seen and I believe he got those by default and because of Drew. The guy can't block a stiff breeze. I fully believe we can get a better LT in round 4 than Bushrod or even in FA. I can see us trading down a few spots and getting a 2nd in return and if potty brain goodell gives us back our 2nd we would be in position to make more moves and get extra picks and players to help us out.

Bushrods success is greatly helped by the scheme and the fact Brees steps in the pocket and moves so well when sensing pressure. If Bushrod were to go to the Giants he'd get Manning killed.

Agree with both of those comments. Bushrod isn't worthy of the contract he'll demand. So he walks. But there is no way I want to go into the 3rd round of the draft with Charles Brown as our starting LT.

A good LT would mean no more chip blocks and sproles, graham, pt could get back to catching balls, it'd give Drew more time to rip open defenses and it'd give us more smash in the run game. A great LT would be way more help than a situational pass rusher.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom