Saints will need to draft an OT before defense (1 Viewer)

We usually don't take Oline in first round. If we did, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. If we don't draft one until the 5th round, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. One thing we can be sure of is our offensive scouts.

Not likely now, is it? If we don't have the money for bushrod i doubt we'll have it for long, even with the lackluster year he just had

Who knows, I'm probably pipe dreaming but maybe after we Restructure some contracts, release some veterans we might be able to squeeze out a deal. Maybe he'll take slightly less market value to be able to come to NO, play with Drew and have a chance at a Championship? Loomis also seems to have an uncanny ability to draw up some Cap friendly deals, Brees last year.

I seem to remember Right before the '09 season we had issues at Offensive Tackle as well. Our highly regarded Pro-Bowl Left Tackle, Jammal Brown went down with a devastating knee injury in training camp. We all worried who would protect Drew that year? In comes a relatively unknown, 4th round Draft Pick from Towson. Yes Towson, and the rest became history.

Payton will have a plan for the Offense, and a way to protect Drew. At this point I'm more worried about the D', another complete scheme change, we need a Coordinator, and we need to continue to add playmakers and talent on that side of the ball.

Agree that offensive tackle is a need. But if Fisher goes as expected before 15, we should not reach.

Same speculation about Carl Nicks last year, then Loomis worked his magic and got a good deal with Grubbs. I have faith in Loomis!

We usually don't take Oline in first round. If we did, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. If we don't draft one until the 5th round, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. One thing we can be sure of is our offensive scouts.

Ya, our FO has an uncanny knack for finding guys that can ball, like Evans, Nicks, and Bushrod. All in the mid-late rounds. I think the most glaring need is D, any and all position at this point. Especially in the 1st.

When your defense is last in the NFL and sets records in the negative varitety.......I vote drafting D early and often!!

Exactly Payton knows how to scheme Offense, even if Bushrod walks he'll have a plan in place to make sure we won't trot out some scrub to protect Brees' blindside. Plus Brees will make whoever mans that spot look better due to his quick decision making, and release.

This feels a lot like before '09 everyone was panicking when Jammal Brown went down in Training Camp, and a 4th rounder had to step in. It turned out fine.

After the move to the 3-4, I believe there is a good chance we go OT in round one as those guys are hard to come by. If we go defense, then to me a big body DT seems to me to be the biggest need to fill on a defense that has multiple needs. A safety can be gotten in the middle of the draft and LB in round 2 or 3 (assuming that we do get that #2 back and I think we will get that pick back).
Having said the above, we could get a Center/Guard, or WR in round one or even another CB, depending how the draft plays out in the top half of the round! This team will go best player and if someone highly rated drops as often happens, then Loomis will not be hesitant to pull the plug even if we all scratch our heads at the selection. There is more likelihood of that IF we do get that 2nd round choice back as there is great depth on defense this year.

The upside and length of career of a top-tier OT makes it hard to get too upset about a pick like that, but even when you know it's the right pick it would still be a bit of let down on draft day. As a fan you sometimes react with your heart and not your brain, and the heart says take a defensive playmaker.

As many of you have pointed out unless Fisher slides. I don't see us taking OT first. Simply because we have so much success drafting OL in later rounds. Charles Brown was a 2nd and he was a first round projection on some boards. And look how that worked out. We simply do better drafting OL in later rounds. I think that will happen again this year. With or without our second round pick the earliest we draft a tackle is 3rd. IMO

DLP is a RFA who will require a 2nd round tender probably.
I think we pick up a center somewhere mid rounds since he might cost money in a year from now.

And we need an LT. We have 2 RT in Harris, Jones who I wouldn't mind trying before wasting a draft pick on one given our huge defensive needs.

Trade Mark Ingram and get a OT.

When I game out the Ingram trade and the bounty I am sick to my stomach at the huge mistake this team made.

If we don't trade up, we can get Ridley in Round 2 last year, exactly where the patriots picked him with our pick.

Then we forfeit the 1st rounder this year for the bounty and goodell leaves us the #2 last year and the #2 this year.

That's 2 starters.

I've been saying this for weeks. We are an offensive team that had issues south efficiency and turnovers this year. I think it was partly caused by declining play at the Tackle positions. It may not have translated to sacks but both Tackles were giving up a lot of pressure and and losing Call Nicks hurt us more than I think we've acknowledged.

The point is this; whatever we do on defense (4-3, 3-4, 46, Ameba) we are an offensive driven team! If we start struggling on offense because we overlooked the second most important position on that side of the ball out won't matter what pass rushers we have. Lose Drew Bees to injury and we're a 4-12 team.

Regarding FA, don't expect anything flashy. As others have said, if we have enough room we will resign Bushrod. If we can't we will not be in the market for Long or Clady!

As many of you have pointed out unless Fisher slides. I don't see us taking OT first. Simply because we have so much success drafting OL in later rounds. Charles Brown was a 2nd and he was a first round projection on some boards. And look how that worked out. We simply do better drafting OL in later rounds. I think that will happen again this year. With or without our second round pick the earliest we draft a tackle is 3rd. IMO

Trade back from 15 if Fisher isn't there. Take the Belichick approach. I just feel a little nauseated every time I imagine a rookie 5th round draft pick protecting our franchise from the Smith brothers next year.

Lets not forget the Saints had a high first round draft pick protecting Drew when Payton arrived and they had plenty of time to evaluate and coach Bushrod. Even so, imo we waste far too much time chipping with our excellent pass catching RBs and TEs. If Fisher goes we drop back and have a good look at the next OT available (picking up at least a second round pick in the process).

Have to remember also that a new coach will have connections and know players outside the team better. Who is to say a new OL coach wouldn't go to Payton and say hey there's this guy sitting on a bench.... That's the great thing about getting turnover on a staff. The coaches may know of someone who can come in and play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom